Idli Batter Not Fermenting.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sneha1985, May 21, 2018.

1. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Last time when I had kept idli batter for fermenting, my container was half filled with the batter and after fermentation, it came upto top of the container. However, this time it hasn't fermented at all. The weather isn't much colder here either.

After grinding the dal and rice, I added salt and mixed it with hand for 5 mins. It's already been 12 hours of fermenting and am gonna leave it for another 10 hours. But if it doesn't rise, can I add baking soda to it before making the idli's?

2. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

no don't let it any further as it might leave slight foul smell. do you get the smell of fermenting batter??though it didn't raise much its good to go when you have ferment smell.Reason for not raising may be dal and rice proportion is not right or correct amount of salt is not added.

3. Raffaello

Raffaello Silver IL'ite

Yeah you can add... You would also add fenugreek seeds while grinding so that you get a fluffy batter ...

4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes. Add baking soda

5. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

No am not getting any smell in it..

6. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

If you living abroad not India, then because of insufficient heat the batter may not ferment. Try keeping in oven after increasing the temperature of the oven till you find it is warm inside and then keep the batter overnight to ferment.. The next day morning it will surely rise up.