Idli Batter...How to.. ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Qatar' started by DaVinci17, Sep 1, 2014.

1. DaVinci17

DaVinci17 New IL'ite

Hello ladies...need help with this desperately..

I use 1 cup (250ml) of idli rice to 1/2 cup of whole urad with a teaspoon of methi seeds & handful of avalakki (beaten rice). I grind it in a mixer..so far the resulting idli's have been very soft..too soft actually,as in some of it will be stuck in the idli mould when I try to take it out. Are these proportions wrong ?..How do I correct it ? I've searched for the idli sooji,couldn't find it in any of the Lulu's..will that work better than idli rice ?
    Hope someone helps this time ! :|

2. nalinidiv

nalinidiv Platinum IL'ite

Hi i usually grind with 5: 1 proportion of rice n urad n add jus two tsps of methi... Try to soak the rice overnight and start grinding it once u start grinding soak urad n den grind wen rice is done.. Allow it to ferment as per ur weather conditions. Dis way my idlies are soft

1 person likes this.
  3. kalpavriksham

kalpavriksham Gold IL'ite

Hi DaVinci,
    for soft idlis,
    3 cups broken salem idli rice ( you get it in Bangalore)
    three-fourth gola (round) urad dal
    1 teaspoon methiseeds
    1 teaspoon aval

1. soak idli rice (not idli rava, definitely NO) in hot water in a casserole 9 preferrably)

2.soak dal, methi aval together in normal water.

3.grind rice like this in mixie-----in switch 1, imin. running
    in switch 2,2 mins rng and in switch 3, 2mins rng.

4 likewise with dal also.

5mix wery well.

6while preparing, just gently use from the top layer, taking care not to mix all the batter from top to bottom.

7. for sourless idlis, dont add salt while grinding, but add salt at the time of its use only.

8. happy idllying!

4. DaVinci17

DaVinci17 New IL'ite

Thanks Kalpavriksham..It's just a matter of figuring out the proportions I guess..will try couple of proportions suggested here. Hopefully should work. I currenly live in Doha Qatar..so the ingredients are tricky to get...but i usually get most of them i.e idli rice,normal rice,methi & aval..I haven't seen idli rava anywhere & i don't think I'l using it either ,so no point in breaking my head over it !.. Thanks :)

5. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

DaVinci , I use 4:1 proportion and it turns out pretty good.You should grind ulunthu really well.I use 45-50 mts .Then 30-35 mts for rice.Allow it to ferment as per the weather condition.It works out well.

1 person likes this.
  6. DaVinci17

DaVinci17 New IL'ite

Thanks Bhuvnidhi.. er...one question though..what's 'ulunthu' ? Is it the Urad-mehi-aval mix ?..45-50 min's is really a very long time for that isn't it ?...the mixer will heat up. I've noticed that the rice takes a longer time to grind than the urad mix..will try the proportion you've mentioned. Even though its very hot in Doha right now, there's little or no fermenting if the batter is kept on the counter in the kitchen overnight. So I use the oven method.
    Thanks you :)

7. poornimakv

poornimakv New IL'ite

Davinci - Ulunthu(Tamil) is Urad dhal.

1 person likes this.
  8. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Davinci , Rice takes lesser time than Urad Dhal.May be you should try grinding urad dhal longer.BTW, I use ultra grind and not mixie.If you are using mixie I think the proportion varies.That is what I have heard.May be someone who uses mixie/mixer/blender can give us an insight to this.

9. sangeeG

sangeeG Silver IL'ite

i used to do in rice:urad dal in 5:1 ratio with very little methi seeds. (I use 21/2 tumbler of rice to 1/2 tumbler urad dal for that i use just 10nos of methi seeds)

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

DaVinci

It seems that the urad dal is excessive in comparison to the rice which is what is causing the idlis to be extra soft!

Like the others have mentioned, I do 1:4 for urad dal to rice, 1 cup of aval (poha) and couple tsp of methi. I soak for a good 4-5 hours before I grind the urad dal first and then the rice. Again, I give it a day to ferment. I have used both the mixie and grinder with this proportion and it works for me.

1 person likes this.