1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Identity Crisis

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Jul 24, 2019.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Times are changing.People long for identity these days.As I am just two years short of eighty,I feel that I am forgetting so many things now a days. But the problem is why others should forget me.
    I joined the bank service after I got married.Earlier I was working in a famous school in Trichy.In those days we never used to change names after the marriage. I continued with my original name with initials ( first letter of my father's name-Ramaswami.) So when I joined the bank, I was R. Vathsala only.
    When I was promoted and posted to Bombay, I had to expand the initials .It was considered disrespectful to call one by personal name and all north Indians have surnames.Many people used to address me as Ramaswami or Mrs.Ramaswami.It was a such a horrible experience to explain to every one.

In due course,it seems that in the bank registers my name was changed to V. Ramaswami, which I was not aware of. When i was retransferred to madras I didn't notice all those things. When PF statements came from Central office,( once in 3 yrs we used to receive)we were asked to search the stt from out of 5000 statements. On those days there was no PF number allotted.I could not locate the stt, as the name was printed as V. Ramaswami.It took a few months to get the facts clarified.
    Our office suggested that it is better to change my name, adding my husband's name along with my name.I gave a letter giving a copy of my wedding invitation( marriage had taken place some seven years back).
    The bank took action by letter and spirit.They issued a circular " Mrs.R. Vathsala ,consequent on her marriage with S. Jayaraman will be hence forth known as " Vathsala Jayaraman' and this circular was approved by central office also.For about a month I could not face my friends and their sarcasm, of course in lighter vain.Establishment of identity was a big process and ultimately my name remained unchanged for 30 years.Aadhar and Pan cards carry my name correctly.
    After retirement, when I joined IL , I thought of having my husband's first four letters and the second four letters of mine and registered as Jayasala 42.
    I was satisfied with my identity for the past 6 years.There seems to be some evil eye or dhrhti.Now there is a crisis .
    We got a new laptop. When i wanted to respond to some mail, Lo, and behold, i was not allowed to write. When I just logged in , again and again repeated remarks such as' jayasala 42 ' is already registered and you have to log in as a fresh user.Already we are in the process of shifting;Phone was under repair.To add fuel to the fire, this problem irritated me. After some trial I was able to log in as ramasala, a fresh Avatar.The name Jayasala 42 was totally rejected by the system.
    Mahavishnu took various incarnations in various yugas. But jayasala's life was too short and it was just 6 years.
    I think that every body is sticking to the gun and i am game for it.
    There may be some system collapse or software crisis with IL but it is an identity crisis for me.I feel an urge to write my name as jayasala 42 but unfortunately 'namakarana' has been changed.
    I have already lost my identity thrice.Hereafter if any such situation arises I may identify myself as 'identitylost'.

To compensate this problem, I had the same four digit number - as my P. F. number,S. B A/c in IOB, Co op Bank and Axis bank though they were opened years apart,by different institutions .It was just a rare coincidence.
    Why should I bother about my identity?
    ramasala

Laks09, Agatha83, Ashi1515 and 13 others like this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ma'am, your writings are a treasure by any name but I think we are all somewhat attached to the Jayasala42 handle. Cheeniya Sir @Cheeniya or @Jey should be able to recover your account and reset the password.

Thyagarajan, Anusha2917 and joylokhi like this.
  3. Murano

Murano Guest

the first para revealed that it is jayasala, like a beginning humming would reveal gandasala :smile:

have read many of your writings.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

They say what is in the name? You seem to be a perfect example of this. One is known by the given name but true identity comes from the words and manners of speaking.
    Having said that in IL very few seem to be having their real name. Most seem to be having a special name for IL.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Yes. I agree with you Sir.
    Some earn moniker by their deeds like "amms" some hide in Pseudo names even some select nom- plumes befitting their profession
    ; some name themselves come under category "curse".
    All hindu Gods & Godesses known by numerous names reflecting the deeds they believed to have performed in mythological periods.

Lord vishnu praised by over one thousand names in Vishnu Saharanamam chant.

Names are not for namesake. It is reflecting their persona and show them in true colours.
    Regards.

6. jayasala42

Thank you Madam for the encouragement.
    ramasala

7. jayasala42

Thank you.
    Ramasala

8. jayasala42

True, what is there in a name?
    ramasala

9. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

I think all of us in IL have got used to your Jayasala42 handle only and look forward to the posts here. It is surely an identity crisis which will take some time to set in. However, I hope admin will be able to give you your original name only by just changing the password or so.

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

On many social networking sites I have frequently lost my identity. If I didn't
    log in for a couple of months my old identity was not recognized and I had to create a new account. But mercifully this has not happened in my bank accounts. Let us thank our stars or our Aadhar and PAN cards.