1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas To Enjoy My Sabbatical

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Nov 2, 2022.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Hey guys!

I am planning a 6 month long sabbatical from Jan 2023 to June 2023, and going back to Sri Lanka to spend some quality time with my family & relatives there.
    The best part is that I am going back to my home - the dream villa, which I love and feel attached to.
    Kid's schooling and other arrangements are well sorted out, and we are moving on the 14th Dec 2022, ahead of Christmas to enjoy the holidays better.

This is a long awaited sabbatical, though it came late, I would still love to plan ahead and make it meaningful to refresh myself before I get back to the hectic professional life.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to re-furbishing the home with new furniture, indoor decorations, and painting. I will work on the garden part as well.

I am also planning to host a few family events with close family members at home. There are a couple of birthdays coming up, in addition to the season's festivals.

Going on a long vacation to a resort up in the hill station with my family is on the cards. I am not interested in site seeing anymore, but just to enjoy the weather and chill.

I might be going to India for shopping towards the latter part of this break. Before that, a week long pilgrimage to the holy land in Israel is on my bucket list. This is my mother's wish, and I wish I could thank her for everything she has done to me by making this wish come true.

My husband is so interested in investing his time in our coconut estate, where he is planning to cultivate veggies and fruits for the family's consumption. Which is great! I might be spending sometimes with him in the estate too.

Besides, I am planning to enroll a Yoga class, daily jogging together with my H in the morning and the much needed afternoon nap at my most cozy swing is all planned.

6 months is long, but not too long if you are home. I want to make this time memorable, stress free, and rejuvenating to the maximum possible extend.

Given the socio economic crisis in Sri Lanka, I am not sure how much of this is feasible. However, from what I hear, the issue isn't a concern to at least upper, and upper middle class people. I wish I could use this time to support the people in need, and do some charity works too!

I would appreciate interesting ideas from the members here

Many thanks

drdiva, swarnamary and Laks09 like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You are planning for a sabbatical things that people can't do even in retirement. : ) I would settle for yoga, charity and daily afternoon nap in swing.

SunPa and Laks09 like this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Hi @SGBV
    Your sabbatical is long overdue, glad to know that you plan to take off for 6 months !
    Enjoy to the hilt... It is easy to get complacent and spend the entire time napping on the swing, so having some goals and a schedule/ timetable is good :relieved:

And all these years, you couldnt have done it without your mom, so prioritise her, do book those tickets early, and complete the trip to your holy land and get it done BEFORE you start your interiors and family get-together and anything else ....

I've noticed that kids of your children's age enjoy talking about their studies - so involving them in your everyday activities and applying the concepts they have learnt that day to their real life - would increase their understanding of WHAT they are studying and also WHY they are studying

I know you have mentioned that you get involved in their studies - BUT while on sabbatical - add THEIR life skills to YOUR life...

For instance, involve them while planning your mom's trip, what to buy in what quantities for your interiors or family meets, let them make a budget, let them design their rooms, sit with them, listen to their ideas, appreciate and make suggestions - you will soon identify your kids strengths, who does what aspect better ! Make videos with them, help them create something - drawings, photos, audio, video, articles, stories, plans, budgets, models or sculptures or even cooking or baking - let them learn and get confidence on what they are each good at!
    I'm sure your kids and you will enjoy these interactions!

6 months will be over too soon! So Enjoy!
    Keep smiling
    HR

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    Laks09 and nandinimithun like this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations @SGBV! You have alot planned. My only suggestion is to have your contractors for paint and order the furniture as soon as you can and then go to Israel. By the time you return from your trip, house will be almost ready for parties.

5. Needhelp01

Needhelp01 Senior IL'ite

This post is giving me life goals! <love>

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha... true @Rihana.
    But planning helps to achieve at least half of what I want.

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I must. Thanks for reiterating this.
    In fact I tried going there early this year, but due to certain security reasons attached to Israeli stamp in the PP, I was advised not to go there then.
    Because I was expected to travel to some middle eastern countries, and my office advised me to postpone the trip.

In fact, I am doing it already. Everyday we make it a point to discuss about each other's day, plans and many things.
    These days, since the travel and sabbatical plans are underway, kids are vocal about what they want, and I am considering it.
    As you suggested, this is a great idea to involve kids on our daily activities and apply the lessons they have learnt so far.

Usually March-April is the season for pilgrimage, covering the Lent season. Winter in Israel would be harsh, and my family is yet to be familiarize with harsh winters. So, I would rather chose a time during the early Lent season, and make the planning (booking, visa etc) in January.

As for the refurbishing the house, I've already contacted the contractors, and asked my brother to supervise. So that we have a clean/painted house to go in December.
    I shall order the furniture on-line, as they are not much. Hope they will be delivered before Christmas. So, we can have a perfect home for the season & parties.

I am glad it helped someone to plan a life.

Needhelp01 likes this.