Ideas to cook food in advance

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by neha1, Jul 14, 2010.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I'm planning to go on a vacation to India for a 2-3 months and I need some ideas to make food for my husband to last a few weeks,if not 2 months:bonk. I plan to buy some ready made mixes like instant rasam mix, tamarind rice etc. Can I get some more ideas like any ready made mixes and subjis etc(store bought or home made)??

Also, I wanted to know how to freeze dosa and idli batter? Should the freezing be done after fermenting or before fermenting?

Thank you in advance:)

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Neha

Are you Tamilian? If you are, you might be familiar with these. You can make vatha kozhambu using 2 or 3 different vathals or vegetables. They will be good even in the regular fridge and there is no need to freeze them. With the different kinds, your hubby will at least have different varieties of vatha kozhambu.

Then of course, puliyodharai, paruppu podi, ellu podi and all that for which he just needs to keep rice! Hope this helps!

3. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Neha1,

I am a big freezing buff. Whenever I go on vacation I freeze food for my husband, its far better than him eating outside food.

Few things that I freeze and keep are

1. Aloo paratha and other parathas. They freeze beautifully. All you have to do is take 2 out and microwave for 30 seconds and they comes out pipping hot ready to eat. 2 months they can stay. I cool them after cooking and then keep them in a zip lock bag and freeze.

2. Rajma, daalmakhni. I freeze them in small containers that serves only one. All DH has to do is take one container out and reheat.

3. I have even frozen tadka toor daal, vegetable sambhar, gravy vegetables.

4. I have also frozen pasta, veg fried rice and Manchurian.

5. Here in super market we get frozen idlies, appam and all. SO instead of the batter try freezing 2 -3 idlies (just for trial). One of my friend does it at home and she says the idlies are good after reheating.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

1 person likes this.
  4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

:)Thank you ladies. That was so useful

I think my husband can buy parathas. We get nice home made parathas here. Only thing Is I woul prefer to make or buy some podis,idlis,dals,gravies.

If anyone has any mre ideas, please post.
    Thanks again:thumbsup