1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas requested for a fruitful summer holiday

Discussion in 'Kids Korner' started by tuffyshri, Apr 2, 2012.

1. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

My DD is completing her UKG from next week and its gonna be a month's vacation time. Need suggestion or ideas on how to make this a fruitful one rather than just spending time in park, watching TV, drawing and talking effortlessly (which she anyway doing on regular days also! :) ). I am working 5 days a week so cant spend much time with her. I am catching up the evening 1 hour slot with her (6 to 7 PM). Few things in my mind

1) to put her in full day summer camp (within our apartments). Still debating if half a day is fine. so what she will do in the later half. She will not sleep in the afternoons.
    2) to put her in Abacus on weekends (which shall be extended after vacations also)
    3) she loves swimming, so thinking of joining classes along with her on weekends.. but is falling sick quickly, so having second thoughts.
    4) do some quick crafts in the evening or weekend
    5) do a quick puzzle book with matchs, boggles, crosswords, coloring, etc.

what else...? she is already taking music classes for 2 days a week which is run by the same unit of summer camp.

2. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Dear Tuffyshri,

Vacation is for enjoying.So,any one activity is enough.Already she is going to music class,isn't it?

Swimming would be a good idea.But,ask her what she would really like to do?That's important.

When my son was 5 years old,we put him in swimming class without asking about his interest.For three days,he went enthusiastically.Fourth day,he came home and said ,"Amma,our swimming coach asked us not to come to the class.Instead,he told us to practice at home itself."

He told this and started swimming in the floor itself.It was very funny to look at.Then he said no,no, to swimming and the money paid had gone waste.

Now,he is 9 and last year he himself wanted to learn swimming and he learned with joy without any compulsion.

So,whatever you do,do with your child's consent.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

4. nacha034

nacha034 New IL'ite

I had a similar problem with my son. I wanted him to do something during the summer rather than doing nothing. Good thing I found a good site that has a good summer camp. I enrolled him and so far so good. :) He made friends and did a lot of outdoor activities which he loves. Everything is going well and he already can't wait for next summer to come. :D

Last edited: May 7, 2012