1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for taking toddler by two wheeler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Vinu4me, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I want to start taking around Vinu withme on my two wheeler. I tried it a couple of times with her standing in front, but she ended up hurting her head a couple of times. She also starts playing with the key or me while standing in front. I think maybe is she is not yet ready, but, is there a safer alternative, like infant car seats. Do you think I can modify these seats to fit them near the leg rest area in the front?

Ideas please.

Regards,
    P

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poornima, I too am looking for something like that. I do see that some of the two-wheelers like a TVS 50 come with these seats, but I dont know if I can keep my curious three year old secure in it. A lot of people, including my husband, do consider this very unsafe. I would rather go by bus, but that cant be everywhere and I am hardpressed for ideas. i hate having to wait for my husband to come home before I take him out everytime.

3. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

P - am not aware of anything like infant 2-wheeler seats. but i can tell my experience (you may know most of it - but still)

At vinu's age, i started 2-wheeler ride with dd. initially she had problems like you said, but i tried the ride only within our apartment very very slowly (we had a large space where we could go round and round). dont ever attempt going in the normal speed when with kids (i still dont do that - i choose the extreme left lane, always in alert mode, ready to stop anytime). teach her, and keep on telling her that she should hold the mirror stand (and never bring her hands to the throttle) and should not shake her body. keep her legs inbetween yours and grip it tightly. also depending on the leg space in your vehicle, you can try keeping a cloth bag or something in front so that she doesn't go too close to the handlebar (space only for your legs and hers so that she cannot move). 1-2 weeks you should be comfortable enough to go the main roads. but pls always keep your speed limit well in control - even if she was to leave her hands free suddenly, she shouldn't end up hitting her head. dd still does a few unexpecteds like turning around to me (saying she wants to hug/kiss me) or trying to show something on the road.

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I don't want to sound as though I have undergone this transformation after going abroad, but I agree with Tikka's husband - I think it is very unsafe. Bus or an auto where you can hold her tightly may be better. I realize there are many practical inconveniences....

5. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi Guys,

I completely agree with oyu all here. While it is unsafe, I am looking for a completely safe option as I do not wish to take even a small risk with my LO.

Asha, I did drive her around the garden and in my street, but she gets more curious about various things as time goes by. I tried holding her between my legs, but she gets uncomfortable. Then I tried to make her hug me and stand, but then we play a game whjere we hug each other let go momentarily and then hug again.. she starts playing that while I am driving and that really unnerves me.

Tikka - I saw a link onmsome site which showed safety belts for pillions designed specifically for kids. I will try to post that link for oyu sometime tomo. I shall also try to contact that guy for more info and let you know. I hope this lead is worthwhile. If it is, I will try to convince DH abou t it... he's not the type who gets easily convinced.

So lets keep opur fingers crossed until then.

Regards,
    P

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Good luck with finding something Poornima. Aadhu has been riding on BIL's bike and DH's scooter since he was 18 mnths old. I used to be terrified but he is pretty good at keeping still and enjoys it so as long as its short rides I have stopped being scared.

V.

7. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

I am just terrifed at the thought of taking my lil one in two wheeler. Iam a good driver and I try to ride safe and slow. BUt I had an accident when I was riding in the back with my lil one and sister in law and an auto bumped into us and we were all down in the road. Luckily none of us were hurt bad. Minor scrapes for me n SIL and lil one escaped with nothing by Gods grace. It has terrified me so much that am willing to pay the autowalas even though I know they are robbing me. But right now being out of country has solved the issue for now. When am back I hope my daughter ll be big enough to stand still n steady in a two wheeler .

Regards,
    CC

8. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

hi girls,

My mom and I have been taking DS in the two wheeler from when he truned 2 years. until he really understood how to avoid getting his head hurt on the speedometer area while we use the break, we used to tie up a cotton duppata that goes around his shouders (like wearing a school bag on the shoulders) and then around our waist and tie it up in our waist. This way he will stand and lean on us and not lean forward towards to handle / speedometer. We us a Honda Activa so this idea will suit bikes on that kind. after a few months, I trained him to put both his hands on the speedometer so when he goes forward his head will hit only his hands and not the hard surface. Now he holds the handles of the mirror on both sides so he controls himself when the bike jerks.. Ofcourse we take him in the bike only in and around our area that does not involve too much interaction with vehicels like bus / lorry. Only to his school and parks, places not more than 2 kms.

At 2yrs old, while coming back from school at noon in the bike, he used to fall asleep in my mom's lap, those days were scary.

Poornima, my sis son is 2 yrs now, she started using the duppata and is comfortable now. at this age you could use the duppata idea and also constantly keep talking to her about the road, say 'see yellow auto', 'see that car'.. those days I used to constantly (you dont really have to see the vehicles, just say 1 auto, 2 auto...) keep counting autos, bikes so that LO's attention is on the road and not me/ or our bike. and for her touching the bike keys, I think you talking to her will keep her occupied.

Hope this helps.

9. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Arthi - Good idea. Let me try to see if I can do up the dupatta that way. I am not sure I understood completely. If you could however explain to me step by step how to do it, it will be great.

Regards,
    Poornima

10. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Charu, that incident scares me.. God's grace you and LO were alright.

We are ok with biking around within our area with DS because he loves to be taken in the bike and my mom is a slow rider and hops from one place to another in bike .. and these places will be say 100-200 mts away from each other so you can imagine the ease.

V, A seems to be a steady little one.. P can keep on moving but whe on the bike, all his curiosity is on the road and vehicles so that way he doesnt move much now.. he often says, 'slow a po amma, paru vandi speed a varudhu..'.

Asha, like you said that cloth bag works well.. when a bag is kept near his foot, it gives him limited space to move his legs so that controls him to an extent.

Tikka, yes anyday LO standing is better than sitting on that seat in front and keeping legs in a particular place.. I think because in TVS 50, we cannot put our legs right near the kid's legs so 'where his legs go' is another area to worry..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010