1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for packing lunch for kids - daycare / school goers

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by alamu, Sep 4, 2007.

1. RachnaShah

RachnaShah New IL'ite

Re: Veg lunch for my bubbly children

Hello Swathi,

You can send Frankie (basically vegges rolled in chapati).

mixed half cooked vegetables (which can be eaten raw) like grated cabbage, carrot, onions, boiled (add little sugar & salt to retain sweetness) fresh green peas, corn mixed in little tomato sauce, pinch of salt & pepper.

Make chapati (can also use wheat bread/ hot dog buns), put this filling on it. Add grated cheese on vegges. Roll the chapati & heat it little bit in ghee or butter. It will taste yummy when you heat it as the cheese will melt & get mixed with the vegges. My daughter loves it. I wrap in plastic wrap due to which it remains fresh & just in case she brings it back I can reheat it in the oven.

You can also add paneer, boiled potatoes. mix with khajoor chutney sometimes instead of tomato sauce Or may be mayonnaise or coriander chutney without chillies. You can keep on changing the filling every day.

Hope this would help. [​IMG][​IMG]

Rachna

2. Aparna5

Aparna5 Senior IL'ite

Hi aaluma..

I want to ask you.. My kid is 1 year old n i want to know how you teach your child to eat solid food like paratha n rice..coz i also want too teach my kid.. n how to teach him to eat by his own hand.. thank you..

3. umasainath

umasainath New IL'ite

Hi Janani,

Thank you for your Idea. I find this useful I can try this for my picky toddlers!!:thumbsup

4. RachnaShah

RachnaShah New IL'ite

Dear Aparna,

First thing you need to make sure is make him sit to eat when you all (your family) sit to eat as this help him to understand that he have to do what others are doing eat.... they do what they see.

You can initially put (roll or make small pieces) chapati (apply ghee/ butter & powdered sugar or grated cheese) in a plate and let him eat on his own. Don't put too much in the plate. Mix rice with ghee & salt, curd & salt or ghee & dal make small balls & let him eat on his own. Gradually he will start eating on his own. You can also make small balls of cheese (kids love cheese). You can give him a whole Red apple let him chew, chew & chew. (you can use carrots, Apples, Raw Guavas instead of teethers). Will help to After a few days start giving pieces Chapati & Dal with ghee. You can also give him a biscuit,seedless fruits - small pieces of mangoes, bananas, strawberries, papayas, watermelon for afternoon breakfast. If you feel he haven't had enough, then feed him properly after sometime. But, let him eat whatever he want's to first.

Am sure he would mess it a little. But will have habit of eating on his own. My daughter started eating on her own when she was about 1.5 yrs. Of course I had to feed her at times but, I started this practice when she was 10 - 11 months & she was on her own when she turned 1.5yrs :cheers :goodidea:

Rachna

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  5. Cavit

Cavit New IL'ite

Hi Radha,

Try adding some fresh fruits like apple which fills up the stomach and its fiber is healthy..apple no need to cut (to avoid colour change n freshness) ..they can have it as a whole apple (when bite n eat it give a good exercise for mouth)..try some salads like boiled potato and carrot >mix with boiled boneless chicken add a bit of cheese(optional)..also some home made cookies....

6. nupur12

nupur12 New IL'ite

This is really very innovative thing but on thin is that you should have to give him some vegetables also. Because it contain lots o nutrition.:)

7. payalghosh

payalghosh New IL'ite

I prefer simple and plain sandwiches and some orange juice.

:bowdown

8. Bhagawathy

Bhagawathy Bronze IL'ite

Hi!Alamu

You can try veggie franks with adai maavu and idli. Pour adai maavu in idli plates and make like idli. Once cooked mix this and regular idlis and make them into any shape you want flat vadai like or long like hot dogs and then bake them until done. this can be given with hot dog buns or burger buns with veggies. You can try veggies idlis also with chopped carrots, spring onions, tomatoes. I am sure kids like it.
    If you eat eggs, make egg pesto melt found in this site - weelicious.com. it was something my son liked.

good luck with it. How is your kid eating now?

Bhagawathy

9. Mgal

Mgal Bronze IL'ite

Out of ideas

My son is 3yrs old and he is going to a preschool here in Blore.
    My son is a very picky eater. I very badly need some lunch box idea!
    Here are the 'NO's (he wouldn't eat any of these): Idli, dosa(unless given by me), upma, paratha, chapathi, poori, sandwich, cookies, muffins, noodles, variety rice

So far he is okay with cucumber, carrot, pasta, pineapple, apple, cheese , corn,banana
    Wat else can i give him??? pls gals, help me!

10. Mgal

Mgal Bronze IL'ite

Re: Out of ideas

Hi Cavit,

Just wanted to add. If a child wants a diced apple, we can give the green ones. I saw that they don't change color much!