1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for packing lunch for kids - daycare / school goers

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by alamu, Sep 4, 2007.

1. sudhachandrasek

sudhachandrasek Bronze IL'ite

Dear Radha,

Pasta or upma (rava or semia) or concord rice sevai is a good lunch box idea as it they can be made in a short time.:thumbsup

2. rsaisundari

rsaisundari New IL'ite

Hi Grace

Yes western looks less messy on the outset. But when we were in Canada, we came to know how the american and canadian kids are obese and there was an article that 90% risk some kind of heart disease.

Our foods are can be made less messy by some small variations and ideas. Like Janani, I send mini idlis. But I prepare some pudina / corriander thuvayal and dip the idlis and put a fork into the lunch. Sometimes i dip the idlies in idli powder. My girl would eat it happily.
    Some more examples would be: preparing aloo parathas and cutting them into small pieces and sending a fork to eat would make our Indian foods less messy.

I am vegetarian, so I make some vege poriyal and wrap it in chappatti or poori and pack it in silver foil. I would welcome other ideas as well

rsai

3. shrutiva

shrutiva Senior IL'ite

Hi Rsai,

I also have a son who is 3 and half and going to school. I pack usually parathas. I pressure cook 2 to 3 vegetables (make sure potato is there as its the binder) and mix the wheat floor directly into the smashed veggies.If required I add cream of milk. keep this for 15 mins and make parathas. I give him with tomatto sauce or roll with cheese spread.Combination of parathas I make are:
    potato+carrot+methi leaves(not steamed, only washed and cut )
    potato+capsicum
    potato+palak(can also make paste of the steamed palak)
    Steamed Apple
    smashed banana

In all of the above I add salt+litttle pepper powder+Ajwin(Carom Seeds)+turmeric(not in apple and banana)+soya powder.
    I also give him Poories(mixed with methi leaves, palak,etc)

Any other ideas please do tell me also.

Regards,
    Shruti

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Shruti,

I am inspired by your idea of making parathas.
    I have a question: If the wheat flour is mashed directly into the veggies, will it be easier to roll?

-Pavithra

P.S: I am pretty bad at rolling parathas :hide:

5. shrutiva

shrutiva Senior IL'ite

Hi Pavithra,

Yes its easy to roll. Just don't add any water. I smashed veggi is semi liquid state . so add wheat flour how much ever it takes. when forming a dough take little ghee ot oil, it will help to finish.

Also can add other floors with wheat floor...like 1 spoon ragi, 1 spoon, besan, 1 spoon, rice floor. But max should be wheat floor to make it soft.

Shruti

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Shruti. Will try this out for tomorrow

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

pavithra sometime back vahee had suggested the same, wherein she used boiled mashed potato to make the paratha dough instead of water, the only problem is u hv to be careful handling it and rolling it, it is very very soft. but it works. i also started to use veg stock/chicken stock to make her parathas

8. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

when u say chicken stock do you mean you pressure cook & mash chicken and mix with dough jus like we do for veggies ????

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

10. RachnaShah

RachnaShah New IL'ite

Re: Ideas for packing lunch for school-going kids

Hello Radha,

You can send Frankie (basically vegges rolled in chapati).

mixed half cooked vegetables (which can be eaten raw) like grated cabbage, carrot, onions, boiled (add little sugar & salt to retain sweetness) fresh green peas, corn mixed in little tomato sauce, pinch of salt & pepper.

Make chapati (can also use wheat bread/ hot dog buns), put this filling on it. Add grated cheese on vegges. Roll the chapati & heat it little bit in ghee or butter. It will taste yummy when you heat it as the cheese will melt & get mixed with the vegges. My daughter loves it. I wrap in plastic wrap due to which it remains fresh & just in case she brings it back I can reheat it in the oven.

You can also add paneer, boiled potatoes. mix with khajoor chutney sometimes instead of tomato sauce Or may be mayonnaise or coriander chutney without chillies. You can keep on changing the filling every day.

Hope this would help. :thumbsup:2thumbsup:

Rachna

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011