1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for packing lunch for kids - daycare / school goers

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by alamu, Sep 4, 2007.

1. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Veg lunch for my bubbly children

Can any cookery queen of Indus ladies club give me Veg Lunch recipes for my daughter [10 yrs] and my son [6 yrs]. Every day lunch preparation takes a hell time of mine and even then i am not getting good name from them. My son says "my mummy prepares the same old tiffins but in a very bad manner".Drowning Help me to get good name from my children.[​IMG]

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

3. Sakshi

Sakshi Senior IL'ite

My princess loves pasta. So today her lunch box has pasta with some store bought Marinara sauce. She loves semia too. I usually make semia bahala bhat for her. She is not big on spicy food either. Loves lemon rice but it is messy. I think she is more influenced by what other kids for lunch and since we are vegetarians, I have to come up with vegetarian versions of "meaty" food. Veg cutlet becomes vegetarian meatballs with ketchup!! Every night I am raking my brains to figure out what to give her. I am going to try aloo paratha tonight. I now have more options. Her lunch usually comprises of Paruppupodi sadam, pasta, idli, dosa, Grilled cheese sandwich, quiche, scrambled eggs..etc..

4. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

Ideas for packed lunch...

Hi
    I hv put my 4yr old into 5hrs school. So she has to carry her lunch.Suddenely i feel am running short of ideas, so can u friends suggest me food for packed lunch.:idea
    - nutritious
    -easy to have
    -vegetarian
    -something which she will eat without messing herself .As shez not that good a eater :(
    TIA

5. anithaharish

anithaharish New IL'ite

Re: Ideas for packed lunch...

You can try these..
    1. curd rice(most kids like this)+any vegetable fry (my favourite - potato)
    2. noodles cooked with chopped vegetables.
    3. sandwich (again with cooked vegetables - also u can mash the vegetables and make it a bit spicy if ur kid likes or just butter and Jam)
    4. Macaroni with vegetables.
    5. Vermicilli upma with vegetables
    6. Chapathi rolled with any curry of ur kids choice (curry should not be too watery.. the thicker the better) (my son prefers Jam :))
    7. Tomato rice
    8. Lemon rice

Anitha

6. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

Re: Ideas for packed lunch...

hi Anitha :thankyou2: but my kid doesnt prefer rice :( for school.....but the other choices are good ..I forgot abt umpa , she likes that :) ...

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Joshila,

My son doesn't mind repeats and i send food to his pre-school only twice a week. Other days they've meat or fish on menu that's the reason. One day is for sure idlis with ghee and yogurt. He'll not touch chutneybonk. I have given dosai, adai, pasta with a simple butter-cheese sauce or pesto (store-bought), vermicelli upma (now this is the only dish in which he doesn't mind carrots, peas and beans).

Latha

8. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

Oh ya...thanks Latha.....Even my daughter is like that she prefers dosai everyday ...bonk

9. sainirav

sainirav New IL'ite

My daughter started preschool this week and i have given only Mac and Cheese, Dosa, Sandwich for lunch. Now i got few more ideas from this thread. Thanks.

10. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

I usually make for my 4 year old -
    1. ragi dosa or carrot dosas - roll with cheese,
    2. mini idlis - mix little oil and podi (til podi, milagapodi, garlic podi) and fry in the kadai
    3. Bread with cheese or jam
    4. rava upma - mix lime juice to make it moist, fry some cashews and make balls of the upma and fix a cashew - it looks like mini rava laddoos - my sons teacher was very impressed by that.
    5. aloo/paneer paratha
    6. veg sandwich (toasted) in sandwich maker
    7. Simple rotis rolled with jam or paneer or cheese.

Snacks is grapes, papaya, minapa sunni unda (udad dal laddoos), chiiki, cookies (home-made) or if nothing available, cream biscuits

Because I give him lunch (rice/veg/dal/curd) in the morning - yes, he eats a complete meal at 7:30 am morning before school - so I dont really mind if he doesnt eat much from the lunch box.