1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for gifts to India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by padmavathy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

To add to the list:
    Body lotions,moisturizing creams from Bath and Body or big packs of Nivea from Sams/Costco
    Dove soaps big packs - Sams/Costco
    Perfumes and Deos for men and women
    Cashews, nuts - Sams/Costco
    Wallets, purses, handbags
    Watches
    Jewellary - cubic zirconia, gem stones and pearls
    Toys and stationery for kids
    Vitamins, green tea, fish oil capsules.
    Ofcourse chocolates
    Shoes
    Shirts, belts, jeans
    Printing photos is cheap here, so photo calendars, personalized coffee cups etc

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. ranjann

ranjann New IL'ite

you have good chance of visit to India

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Girls,

more ideas for gifts to India please...........

4. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi

few of my suggestions

1. digital photo frame

2. digital key chain frame

3. beverage warmer

4. jewellery hanging tree (avlbs in metal make, ) around $30 +

5. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Some additional things that I would like to add here -

1.Trolley bags as they are cheap in US compared to India

2.Targus backpacks - expensive if you buy on regular price. We bought from deals2buy.com(daily listing of deals) and the price was $25.This is a sturdy laptop bag for college and office goers.

3.Mixing bowls with lids from corningware. you can also find cute kitchen accessories in corningware outlets.

4.Customized metal business card case for professionals - you can get their name printed on it using nice fonts.

5.Crystal pieces from Burlington coat factory. Pretty designs for less price.

6.Small wall hangings($5) from Kohl's. They come handy if you suddenly meet a person who was not covered in your shopping list.

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Can you be more specific about stationery items? Other than book sock, could not think of any better items here of course, the rotating stationery holders?

Thanks.

7. gayatrib

gayatrib New IL'ite

Gifts to India

Hi all,

I'm renewing this thread so that I can get some latest information from everybody. I will be travelling to India in two weeks, and I'm still packing and unpacking everything, with lots of gifts still to be bought!

My husband and I decided to give gifts to our extended (but close) family, and now we're at our wits' end!

We were able to cover the younger generation fairly easily, but the age group of 30-75 is mind boggling.

I'm looking for small, lightweight gifts within 30-35$ for the below groups. It'd be great if someone can suggest one gift for the family, so that i don't have to take two-two gifts.

1) young couple aged 30-35
    2) middle aged couple aged 45-50
    3) old retired couple aged 65-70
    4) very old couple aged 75-80

I already have a lot of electronics with me, so i dont want to get more of those. I'm looking for some novelty item that they wont find in India, and which has some good practical use.

Please help me!! My brains are fried and I'm freaking out with the stress of packing and choosing gifts!

Thanks!

8. sreekulu

sreekulu New IL'ite

Re: Gifts to India

Fragrances would be a good gift for young couples.Juicy couture,Coolwater,couture couture ,Estee lauder pleasures are good brands for ladies.You will get good deals on them in Marshalls.Even Bath and body works lotions are great gifts for women.

Middle aged couple esp woman might like hand bags esp branded handbags.Herbergers has a good sale of handbags right now as does Jc penney.They would also like Bath and body works products,watches,Sharperimage products like umbrella with light,salted almonds etc.

Retired couple might like Blood pressure monitor,newbalance sandals/shoes,fleece jackets if living in colder places,Trader joes chocolate covered raisins,cherries etc

Another gift that would be like a gift for the house would be momentos like statue of liberty,capitol paperweights,anniversary clocks ,spacepen etc

HTH

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  9. gayatrib

gayatrib New IL'ite

Thank you Sreekulu! The suggestions are great, however, I am running out of space, and all the below items are quite heavy and bulky. I am looking for something really small and lightweight.
    My target age group is 50-80. There are a lot of options for younger ones, so it's not an issue. These couples are all retired and are staying at home, and i have searched everywhere, but dont find a decent option.

10. sumimusik

sumimusik Senior IL'ite

hi,
    Older people are likely to relax and listen to songs.if u can look for those small egg shaped speaker which they can attach to their stereo's and enjoy the loud musik.Good part is -it would be portable.
    The other choice would be toe socks..or the long handle back scratcher...or an mp4 if your budget is more.
    A medicine box or a manthra counter are also much needed for their age.
    Even a digital photo frame would make a great gift recalling good times..
    Best wishes
    Have a good time.
    :thumbsup