Ideas for Diwali Sweets/Savouries

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by tina, Oct 4, 2005.

1. lakshmi ganesh

lakshmi ganesh Junior IL'ite

Re: Diwali Recipe!

hi friends,

i think i entered IL in right time.
    happy to see u all inviting me with sweets and karas

i think v can rename this forum as
    regards

lakshmi ganesh

2. lakshmi ganesh

lakshmi ganesh Junior IL'ite

Re: Diwali Recipe!

can u pls tell me how to make crispy vulunda vadai from mixy made dough
    i have tried it many times,can u help me to make it successfully for this deevalli

regards

lakshmi ganesh

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,

I just read another thread under miscellaneous recipes (cooking tips thread). One IL has mentioned that adding rava to the ulundu maavu gives crispy vadai.

Latha

4. friend101

friend101 Senior IL'ite

Re: Traditional South Indian Diwali Fare?

Guys,
    you're making me drool just by reading this thread. :) Back home, for Diwali sweets, we used to make Gujiya (called Karanji in south) with mawa filling. Those were so yummy! For savories, we also made Murukul.
    You're inspiring me to make something special this time.
    Happy Diwali in advance to you all,
    Pooja

5. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I made Badaam Burfi ths Diwali.All appreciated it a lot.So I thought better share the receipe with all of you.

Ingredients:
    2 cups almonds
    3 cups milk
    Pinch saffron
    3 granulated sugar
    1 cup water
    6 tbsp ghee

Method:
    Firstly boil the water and pour it over almonds.Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes.Now grind almonds with milk and saffron.

In a pan, combine sugar and water; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Stir in the almond paste and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Add 2 tbsp of the ghee and cook. Add remaining ghee and continue to stir until mixture is very thick and starts to pull away from the sides of the pot, about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat. Stir in almond essence and continue to stir until thickened. Pour onto greased baking sheet and spread evenly. Let cool slightly; tear into diamond shapes. When completely cool, cut along tore lines.

Enjoy it with family and friends.

6. manu2345

manu2345 Junior IL'ite

hi lakshmi
    i read your receipe about murukku. i am from maharashtra and we call this chakali.
    manu

7. charuram

charuram New IL'ite

microwave milk burfi
    Ricotta cheese, in the same container measure twice milk powder(carnation milk powder) in the same container one sugar or threefourth as per your taste and butter one stick if the cheese container is 950grams.Now just put cheese,sugar,carnation milk powder and the butter stick in microwave container(container must be big).Then microwave for 7min remove and stir and again microwave for 5min,remove and stir and keep doing for 3,2,2 but remember every time remove out and stir before it turns out like a ball add elaichi safron and edibile camphor(pachai karpooram).Note if you don't remove out to stir every stage it will turn out brown or not uniform colour.It will come out light redish brown(like palgowa) then remove and spread in a plate and when cool cut in small squares.Enjoy happy deepavali with sweets and please feed back me the result.

8. charuram

charuram New IL'ite

please try and reply me.

9. latasunder

latasunder Senior IL'ite

Hi Tina,

Since I am born & brought up in North India so I'll tell you a sweet recipe called Besan ke laddu.

Besan coarsly ground : 4 cups
    Ghee : 2 cups
    Sugar : 2 cups powerded
    cardamom, chopped nuts : as per your taste

heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan, add besan(gram floor), roast it on low flame untill a nice smell comes out of it. This takes at least 20to 25 min. Put in in a plate & mix powdered sugar, nuts & cardamom, mix well & make laddus when the mixture is still bearable hot. Put it in a airtight container.

Let me know if you like it.

I normally make it monthly once bcos my son loves only one sweet i.e besan ka laddu.

Enjoy & Happy Diwali :thumbsup
    Lata

10. jananthy

jananthy New IL'ite

Rasagulla:

Take 1lt of milk boil till it is nearing to come out of the vessel.Off the burner.Squeeze half a lemon on it and leave it for around 10 mins.Then take another vessel and put a fine white cloth .On the burner keep the flame in low for 2-5mins not more than that.Then water n milk would be separated.pour this into the white cloth kept in the vessel.Drain all the water into the vessel and you will find (white powdery+with water content) in the cloth.Take the cloth above the vessel and squeeze until there is only some water in the milk white like substance.Then make round small balls out of it.Take another kadai and add 1 tumbler of sugar and pour water till the sugaris into the water.Then turn On the burner until all sugar dissolves in water. Then add those balls in the sugar syrup n boil for 2-3 mins only.Then let it as such till the sugar syrup enters the milk balls for 4-5hrs.Don't refrigerate it before that 4-5 hrs.Serve it.

PalKova:

Take a 1lt of milk in large bottomed vessel and make it boil until it becomes 300-400ml add sugar.then stir it with spoon for about 5-10mins.Server it.