1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas and Tips for growing roses

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Anandchitra, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Ideas & tips for planting your roses.

• Check with your local gardening center or florist for the best type of roses to grow in you climate. If you are a novice, you should look for disease resistant types of roses because they require a lot less maintenance.
    • When planting roses, you want to pick a spot that is well lit in the morning. You also want an area that is sunlit for at least 6 hours a day. Roses need a great deal of light if they are to grow properly.
    • Pick an area that has plenty of well drained soil. Great soil has a PH level where the amount of acid in the soil is at about 5.5-7.0. You can get a testing kit for your soil at any garden center.
    • Organic matter like manure or lime helps to nourish the roots of your roses. You should soak the roots in water or puddle clay for many minutes, and cut off the root ends that are broken.
    • The first 3-4 weeks after planting your roses, you should water them often. Usually this is when the top 2 inches of soil is dry. Roses need a lot of hydration and food to remain healthy.
    • Four weeks after planting, you should start soaking the bed every 2 weeks or so. You should do this in the morning for the best results.
    • Begin fertilization approximately 3 months after planting. Use 3-6 inches of mulch to control the moisture, temperature, and to stops weeds from coming up. Mulch also helps to lock in the vital nutrients your roses need in order to remain healthy.
    Planting roses in the Spring is the best.

You want to plant your roses in an area that is well circulated with air. Your roses will not grow in an enclosed or tight area.
    Dig a hole that is twice as big as the amount of space that your roses take up. It makes it easier to plant them and creates a spaced area for them to grow with freedom. Poor circulation for your roses can cause fungal diseases. Using a larger hole also makes it easier for you to pull them up later and pot them if you'd like.
    Planting Potted Roses

It is common for people that have received roses in pots as gifts to fall so in love with their roses that they may want to replant them in their own garden. Adding a rose bush to any garden can be the best choice that you ever made.
    Planting potted roses doesn't have to be a taxing experience. With the right knowledge given to you in simple step by step format can make the task a great deal of fun. Here are all of the steps that you will need in order to plant your potted roses.
    • You should plant contained roses in the spring, after you are absolutely positive that there is no chance for a return of the frost. If you live in a warmer climate like Florida or California, you will want to plant in the early autumn, once the weather has cooled off a bit.
    • You will want to choose roses that do not have any flowers on them because you are simply trying to establish your roses. You are not trying to make your roses flower just yet. If you have to, trim the flowers off of them before you plant them.
    • You definitely want to choose the right environment for your roses. You will want to plant them in an area of the garden that is susceptible to a lot of light in the morning, (at least 6 hours worth) because early morning light helps to dry the dew off of the flowers, which will help prevent fungal diseases.
    • If you want the transition of your roses from a pot to your garden to go smoothly, you will need to prepare your soil very well. You want your soil to be well drained for the health of your roses.
    • Once you have prepared your soil, you will want to work several spades full of compost into the planting hole after digging in a hole that is about two feet deep.
    • Tap your rose from its original container and plant it. You will also want to position it so that the soil level of the rose matches the soil level of the surrounding soil.
    • Lastly, you will want to dig a mote-like ring around the rose so that you can pool the water.
    • That's all there is to planting potted roses. See that was not so difficult was it? As you probably noticed, it is a lot like planting your roses that were never potted, but of course with some slight differences. It can be a very rewarding thing, to plant your very own rose garden.
    Growing Roses in Cold Climates

Most roses will grow just about anywhere, and in any type of climate. Certain roses do not function very well in cold climates, but will grow just as well in any other. Hybrid Teas are not however, a cold climate rose. They must be grown in a warmer climate like Florida. They simply don't have the necessary winter protection that some cold climate flowers have.
    If you live in an area that is prone to harsh winters, you will likely find it relatively easy to find good, cold climate roses at your local garden center. It is necessary to plant cold climate roses in areas that are prone to winters because planting anything else would be a waste of your time as they couldn't survive properly during the winter frost.
    Cold climate roses are great for many reasons. They are very low maintenance flowers, especially good for the novice. Cold climate roses also have their very own protection set up against diseases and bacteria that can plague any flower. Here a brief list of cold climate roses. Naturally, there are many more, but to list them all would make up the entirety of this guide.
    The cold climate roses are as follows:

• Rugosas
    • Griffith Buck
    • Modern Roses
    • Centrifolias
    • Species Roses
    • Gallica
    • Alba
    • Shrub Roses
    These are just some of the cold climate roses that will thrive during the harsh winters of some localities. If you live in an area that is prone to harsh winters, you may want to see if your local garden center has any of these to start with.

Mulching Roses

There really isn't much to say about mulch other than to point out that when you do lay down mulch in your garden, you should be sure to enclose the area around it to prevent spillage.

1 person likes this.

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

dear AC,
    That made interesting ready.....of course i don't plan to plant a rose bush. But today the sun is out and i was in the garden finally clearing away the weeds. I noticed a couple of rose plants planted by the previous residents. But i have never seen them flower( of course my fault i never LOOKED into the garden till now!:hide:)

Do you think i need to add some fertiliser etc......any tips on how to handle it!

Also what is Mulch....dont know a lot of terms.....then have to find the german equivalent!
    And is there a way to stop the weeds coming up after i plant any Kutti flowering plant. I plant them and before i know there are a whole lot of other plants growing around it and i find it difficult to pull them out. Of course after winter it is always a tough job to get it back to shape.....but i feel really motivated this year , lets see:::( I just got in after half hour of clearing the weeds and dead leaves....hands and legs are wobbly and i can see a dull ache rising inthe neck and shoulder...ha ha ....and not to mention my nose, allergic feeling! Inspite of it i feel good to see taht big sack of dead leaves!)

3. Anandchitra

Dear Sudha
    Its nice to read your post and hear how its going:)
    Those 2 rose plants will need extra care. Definetly to start with fertilizer and then sprays to keep them insect free. For these items you can check a store near you that carries garden supplies.
    Mulch: is any covering which will smother weeds. could be cloth, or pine straw or even newspaper. all these layers smother weeds and do not let weeds grow.
    For this too you need to visit a nearby store to get the packaged items. I buy the cloth and spread the mulch over it.. here its pine barks shredded to smaller pieces.
    I have also used newspapers for this purpose. layer on layer of newspapers and then maybe the cloth and then straw ans such to look good.
    Hope this helps:)

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Ya, thanks AC....this is what i was hunting for last weekend....but no one understood.....the shop keeper suggested a spray to kill weeds and not this pine barks...actually someone told me here also. Will go armed with the german terms and with more confidence.....i bought the fertilsers etc last
    weekend. Bought some room plants also.....so lets see how it all fares!:thankyou2:

Also bought spinach seeds.....wondering where to sow them, in a pot or direct in the ground!?
    Its so much of planning and work, i wonder how all of you are at it.....hats off to all ur green thumbs!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hai friends,
    i also had a garden which used to be so wonderful with all the blooms in time, now pruning is one thing in roses we need to check they always start from the root portion like a new shoot but will have smaller leaves and will grow wild if left they sap up all the nutrition and food we supply to the plant so the minute u c these which are foung mostly in hybrid varities and the stem will be a lot more thinner and more finer leaves, hope been of help here..My 2cents sunkan[​IMG]u c the smaller leaves they are weeds..

6. swapna1980

swapna1980 Senior IL'ite

Hi AnandChitra,

We have 4 rose plants, so Thanks for the information. very helpful

Cheers,
    Swapna.

7. sss

sss New IL'ite

Hi AC,

Thanks for the info. We had 2 beautiful rose plants.

8. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello chitra

actually im not very lucky with roses
    the more i buy
    the more it goes leafing
    all leaves and no flowers...
    ofcourse i dont give up
    if only for a few flowers...
    all naturally bought up
    with vermicompost from my garden
    and pesticide of nochi, neem cows urine etc
    i see it flowers well when planted
    near the eastern wall
    although you say it requires morning sunlight
    here almost all houses that have rose plants
    near the eastern wall
    and get sunlight from the west evenings
    flower well...

sathya

9. chanjes

chanjes New IL'ite

Hi, anandchitra,

i read your tips and ideas about planting roses. i have got just a pot and am not too much keen on planting it outside. i would like some suggestions on keeping the plant inside the house please.
    thanks
    jess

10. Anandchitra

anbu sathya
    sorry I missed this post.. do forgive me:)
    Roses need sunlight.. approx for 6 hrs is good
    Does not matter east or west

I am surprised bec its very easy to grow.. just water and sun:) my best wishes for pretty roses to bloom just for you:)