1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Want to KNOW AND UNDERSTAND MYSELF!! Pls suggest ways....

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Flora1, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Flora1

Flora1 New IL'ite

Hello folks,

I read a quote somewhere saying that "It is not as bad if you don't know others but it is worst if you don't know yourself". And I feel that I do not know myself.
    Firstly being a middle born and than after marriage, I feel I have lost myself somewhere on the way. Always thought and have done things according to the liking of parents, Inlaws, DH and Kids. I have never given priority to myself.

In any relationship /communication (with friends , family , neighbors or anyone) I knowingly or unknowingly, actively or passively, subconsciously give the power to the other person and I just become the follower. And that is because I DO NOT UNDERSTAND MYSELF. (I lack initiation, decisiveness, and I cannot analyze people)

Now I want to know myself and explore my full potential. I want to understand WHO i AM!!

Friends, Please give me strength and support during this endeavor and suggest any methods/ share any experiences of yours.

Thanks

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    i find writting a diary really helps oneself.in diary i pour all my views,ideas,dreams...........which really helps me to know myself.

another thing is to have atleast one hobby .however busy one is whether with kids,job or studies.giving time to some hobby really helps to know oneself.......
    pragati

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Years ago I was stuck with how to go forward jobwise and otherwise. I took a lot of personality tests and consulted some folks who interpreted for me. This was very very helpful as basic characteristics that I had I now accepted and embraced. Example: I am very social and talkative and when I was young people would say you talk to much or chatterbox, etc. What I came to know was that they were introverts who hated talk and were pressuring me to be otherwise than my natural character because it was convenient for them. But the world needs talkative people in various areas (sales, teaching, etc.) and their views were no more important than mine. Of particular help testing wise was the Meyers Briggs inventory which you can find and take online.

The other thing that I found of value was Vipassana meditation. You can spend time examining and letting go of stuff.

4. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Flora,

I completely understand your situation. I was in a similar situation few months back.

It is hard to understand one self. Many of us doesn't know who we are or have a wrong opinion about ourselves. You need not worry too much about your situation. It happens to everyone of us at some point.

Now you can start with making simple decisions - like choosing dress etc... Find out your liking in everything you do. Don't just nod your head when someone makes decision for you. Take time and make your own decision. It can be right or wrong but do try. You can learn from your experiences slowly to make right decisions. Also don't mind if your close ones tease you for your changes. One day they will appreciate you!

It involves lot of time & efforts but worth investing.

Above all love yourself dear :)

5. ushkrish

ushkrish New IL'ite

hi flora,
    it is a real good beginning that you want to explore yourself. try go back your childhood days where your own dream/ambition (before being influenced by others)and yourself lived . try to dig some from the past. if that is not possible try develop new one now. now you are in IL you can try your hands on blogs, some good recipes etc., and display your talents. soon you will find people appreciate what is really good and you can find out in which area you are good at and you can best exhibit yourself. your self esteem also will go up.