1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Miss You Nanny!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, May 20, 2010.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    Yesterday, I was at my friend’s place. Her daughter who’s 4 years was playing with her toys. She’s quite naughty. Suddenly she got up, went near the balcony and lifted her feet to see what’s going on down there. Her nanny shouted badly at her and pulled her back uttering some bad words in anger. I was aghast. I couldn’t resist myself and told nanny to keep cool. She was a very young child and didn’t understand what is good for her and what is not. It is our duty to take proper care of her. She started grumbling that my friend didn’t tell her earlier that the child is very naughty! She would have raised her fees for this. Anyway, I couldn’t help her much.
    Later, I was thinking about my nanny. I was just 6 months old when my mom joined M.Sc. in Pharmaceutics. Even though ours was a joint family, it was decided unanimously to have a Nanny for me as this was a question for an extended period of two years. A female, who everybody would call “Amma” started coming to look after me. She would do everything for me- right from body massage to feeding food. She would take me out for a fresh walk and all. I was too small to understand all but my mom and aunt would tell me that she loved me like her own daughter. By evening, when it used to be the time for my mom’s return from college, she would freshen me up, put nice clothes, shoes and all and take me out so that my mom can freshen up, have some tea-coffee, Snacks and then she would bring me back home so that I can be with my mom. Though I understood one thing that this lady takes me out deliberately as the time of my mother’s return approaches. So I used to get furious at her and pull her hair, scratch her everywhere and try to bite also. But she was an angel. She wouldn’t complain. Come on baby, let’s go for a walk-she would say.
    Then I grew up. We invited her for my wedding also. Later she went back to her native place and now there is no contact. But I remember her quite often, I miss her like anything. Especially when I see today’s Nannies, I just can’t keep myself from comparing my nanny with these ones.
    Regs J

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012

2. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

This article reminds me of two nannies...
    Though calling the first one nanny would not be apt but still...she is the one who used to do all the work in my mothers house...she is not a nanny in the sense that my mother started working when i was 13 and my sis 10, so this lady didnot as such look after us. But she is there since the day my sis was born in 1980. With time as she has grown old...her work has decreased like she no longer does the clearning part and the washing clothes part. She left work 5 years back as she was not able to manage because of old age but still missed our home so much that comes off and on these days whenever she feels like it and cooks for us. She has specifically instructed my mom to call her whenever any of us sisters visit mom. She even gets goodies for my kids:thumbsup...I really have a soft corner for her.

The other one is the one who looked after my son from birth to 8 years and my daughter from birth to 4 years. just recently we had to shift cities and she couldnot accompany us as she has a daughter of marriageable age whom she couldnot leave. Not a day passes by when i donot miss her...She was so good to the kids....she used to look after them with love and affection rather than as a job to be done...really miss her....and so do my kids.

Wishing them both the best always:)

1 person likes this.
  3. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear young@heart, thanks for your response. I just loved reading your reply. It brought tears to my eyes. I miss my nanny too much.