1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I miss this

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sashmitaa, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Today we are all in a fast and hi-tech world receiving mails the next moment we posted. But how could we forget some years ago getting letters from our near and dear ones from the unforgettable postman. If the letter is posted within India it nearly takes two or three days to reach that particular person. We used to tell from whom the letter came with their handwriting on the envelope. It is a pleasure to read those handwritten letters. When I was young I used to wait for the postman if somthing has to come and I know the exact timings of him also. He used to shout Amma Thapal and it would be between 1 and 2 in the afternoons. Even though we are well advanced I still miss those. In fact everything needs a practice. Nowadays if I take a paper and pen in my hand I am just staring at them as if I havent learned anything.

I have been thinking of writing a letter to my mom from here but most of the topics are covered through phone and what is there left to write? Do you guys miss this?

Lakshmi

2. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,

A very good topic to discuss these days... we are living a fast life now with all mails and chats.. Receive and send messages with in a matter of seconds.. You said it right Lakshmi... Even I used to wait for the post man to come in my childhood. My parents were in Ahmedabad and Pondicherry and we two sisters were in Kerala with our grand parents. I used to wait for my mother's letters.. We did n't have a phone at home those days. So only form of communication with my mother was letters..

Also during my college days, even though we could sent emails, my interaction with my Kerala school friends were through long letters.. We used to write pages and pages... Many times we got fine for heavy weight letters..

Now I cannot write a single word for a letter. I haven't written a letter for the past 5-6 years...

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

I write electronic letters. I surprise my friends through email. I write my heart out and also attach a nice e-card. And now they too surprise me with such lovely notes through email. I love this discovery. And Lo!!! YOU NEED NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR HANDWRITING. YOU CAN CHOSE THE FONTS, COLOUR THEM, HIGHLIGHT THEM, BOLD THEM, ADD SMILIES, ADD PICTURES. This discovery is wonderful. I love my email and e-card. I still hunt for actual Cards and send them to my friends (not by post or courier), I give them when I meet them. We should make our life colourful, its all in our hands.

4. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi

i chat on messenger, talk on the phone but nothing beat the joy of receiving a letter from my closest friend. we are corresponding like that because we like it.

bye

5. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

Well..I miss writing letters. But I am not old - I am just 30! And I used to write letters 10 years ago..in college, to my best friends, to my sisters & to my parents, who were right there with me almost everyday - on special occasions like Birthdays, Anniversaries, Successes, Vacations etc I used to give them beautiful Indian greeting cards attaching with my letters, full of love, affection, artful writing, pearl like handwriting, sweet quotes, Beautiful memories and so on!!

I miss them. Not just writing, but reading and receiving those letters too. I might not have used any postman, but receiving and reading those letters and admiring the words, dissecting the words into meanings of sweetness and admiring the unforgettable handwritings...just looking at which remind the pleasant faces of my dear ones...Those were invaluable.

It's been 10 years. I still write, I still put my feelings in emails or printed out letters using different fonts and colors and emocations, but the comparisons of these with those of the past is immeasurable!

6. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Thank you all for stepping in to reply for this post.

Lakshmi

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello friends

Yes it is true we use to wait for the letters and the postman before but I feel these emails and lovely ecards are much easier and quicker so no need for anyone to wait.
    I do send personal cards too but usually make them myself and send them I never go to buy cards. I usually send them to near and dear ones on special occasions.