1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I miss my dearest WELL a lot!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Mar 18, 2008.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi sriniketan,

that was a wonderful information. how sweet, waking Gangadevi!

yes, you are right we do clap hands before openin the "Saligramam Petti". thanks for sharing this info.

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Vanaja:

That was a beautiful write up bringing nostalgic memories of childhood days.

When I lived with my paternal grandparents - they had this community well - the only source of water for everyone. Loved to see the well brimming right almost to the top with water during monsoons. Drawing water from the well was fun for all of us kids and came to good use when later I moved to my maternal grandparents' house. We used to draw water from our neighbour's well during summer months when there was scarcity of water.

Would like to show my children any well with water since they haven't seen one as yet. Have to wait until our next trip to India.

Thanks for bringing back those lovely memories.

Incidentally, my maternal grandmother was also Vanaja!

Sindhu

3. srinivasan_vanaja

Hi Sindhu,

Thanks for sharing your memories here and happy to know that your grandmother's name was Vanaja. As I have written in my thread, showing the WELL to somebody is a thrill. Your children would love the WELL, I tell you.

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanaja,

Were you so sure that none of the male members here in IL will read your post? You have addressed, 'Dear Ladies'

With simple words, talking about a very ordinary well, you have transported us all back in time. Well is a very profound symbol. It is a symbol of the past. A symbol of those simple days, of simple joys and pleasures.

When I was very young, we too had a well in our house. We did not have motor till late seventies. I used to take bath in the well. I used to draw water for our needs. Even now I can see the hardness in my palm. That is because of years of drawing water from the well using a very rough rope.

Once we had a man living in our house. This man used to do a lot of errands for us. When I go for bathing he used to draw water from the well and pour on me. One day he let the vessel slip with water and it fell on my head. It should have broken my head. But somehow I was saved.

Later in the eighties the well dried up and we switched over to borewell.

Talking to the well, the incident concerning the drunken neighbour - all well written without exaggeration.

That was poetry, Vanaja. I loved those lines.
    regards,

5. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Sir,

That was a huge mistake on my part. I apologize. I just do not want to escape by saying that "WELL" is something connected with ladies as I have addressed in most of my threads as "Dear Ladies". Thanks a lot for making me realize that we are "Ilites".

Your "WELL" experiences are still ever green in your mind, may be because of that "vessel slip" :-D. Thank God you are saved (this a true feeling of mine, not a comedy).

Yes, you have reminded me one thing of our palms getting rough using the rope. Many times I have seen the skin peeling off from my palms using the rope. I used a towel to hold the rope that time.

Thanks for those words of appreciation. Like you - those lines are my favourite too.

6. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear vanaja

a well written write up and this ofcoz depicts the life 20 years back.....now having a well in a house has becum a rare sight..drawing water frm the well is a gud exercise that substitutes out tireless run on the treadmill in the gym.......

lov
    sowmi

7. srinivasan_vanaja

dear sowmi,

Thanks for the compliments. You might have heard of doing exercise with a "rope" in recent days. This is similar to the "WELL" exercise.

When you use a bigger bucket or a big kudam to draw water, due to the weight and the strain, you get a better toned abdomen.

You complete your exercise and the household work too at the same time.