1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I miss my dearest WELL a lot!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Mar 18, 2008.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Dear Latha,

Thanks a lot for sharing your memories here. You are gifted, that you stay in the same house even now.

Yes fishes removes the dirt and worms in the WELL. But if you find them in plenty, you cannot use the water for drinking.

I am really sorry for your Dad. So, the WELL is the living evidence to recall the memories of your Dad.

You words are very much relevant to the thread. This WELL had given you a good memory and a good task done by your Dad. Your Dad will be remembered by the Flat members too.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanaja,

I have boring and that is closed, so i cant pray for u.But it gives us such cold water in the summers, that when i have bath i start to shiver, and bless the well.No wonder it has tood us in good stead for the last 12 years, where as all the borings in our locality have failed.

good one.Regards.kamal

3. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

Hi Vanaja,

Very nice written.

I know you will laugh if i say that i am scared of well, yes it is true dear i just can't go near well or peep inside but enjoyed a lot reading your writeup about the well.

4. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Kamalji ji,

Thanks for the reply. Normally ground water stays cool irrelevant to seasons. As we pump the ground water to over head tanks, the water that runs through the pipes gets heated up under the sun and when we open the taps we get hot water at the beginning. But the water in the tank maintains the same temperature as that of the ground water.

5. srinivasan_vanaja

hi poonam,

thanks for the reply. i feel like dragging you to a WELL and make you to peep in. once you get rid of that fear and draw water, you will be enjoying it. try once.

6. Jlatch

Jlatch New IL'ite

Dear Vanaja,

Your writeup brought back nostalgic memories of my childhood days. Still we have WELL @ my mom's place. I prefer to remain sitting @ kinathadi during evenings and chat with my mom & relatives.

My DD thinks that WELL would be there only @ her patti's house as she's hasn't found any other in rest of the places she's been, except for few old dry wells @ some temples.

Also I remember in one of the rented house we lived in(Late 70s), we wld drag water from WELL right from 2nd floor itself. As a child, I was fascinated in watching how people drag water from WELL by staying at different floors.

Thanx for taking down me to my childhood days.

Jlatch

7. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Jlatch,

Thanks for the reply. Its true I made everybody here nostalgic. Reading all your replies, I really feel like digging a WELL now.

But I believe in - Veedum, Kinarum Kadavul Kodukkum Varam.

8. vase

vase Senior IL'ite

Hi Vanaja,

That was a very nice write-up on the very-rare occurrence nowadays - WELL.

Like many members have written here, I too have very fond memories of one such well in my grandparents house. The house is so long and huge that its front entrance was on 1 road and the back entrance was on the road next to it...and the beautiful well was right in the middle - just after the verandah, halls, various rooms -mel (UP) thazhvaram. From the mel thazhvaram, you have to descend 3-4 steps and you have the keezh (DOWN) thazhvaram with the WELL on the left. The kitchen, dining room, store room were all close to the WELL ; From the keezh thazhvaram, there is a walk-way which leads to the bathrooms, toilets, wash area etc.

Oh....those days were wonderful...:hiya ours was a very large family and in the vacation, we all cousins used to have a gala time drawing water out of the well and convert the 'keezh thalvaram' into a mini-swimming pool and spend hours together playing in the water....

Yep...those days will never come back ...:spin

Thanks for making me re-live those memories.....Bow

9. srinivasan_vanaja

hi vase,

thanks for the reply and sharing your memories. i could picturize what you have explained.

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vanaja,
    I asked my mom regarding the clapping of hands before taking water from the well for the 1st time---it is to wake Ganga Devi who resides in our well.
    I think we do the same before opening the 'Saligramam' petti for the neivaediyam....

sriniketan