1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I miss my dearest WELL a lot!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Mar 18, 2008.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

When I was in my early teens, we lived in an old house and it had a WELLl behind. The WELL was around 50 to 60 feet deep. Nobody in my house knows that it was my friend too.

I was sharing all my joys and sorrows with it. Whenever I go near it to fetch water, I just peep in and it would show my face. It was my natural mirror. I look more beautiful in that mirror.

It is a truth. Your image looks more beautiful when you look yourself in water. I would say a "Hi" to it. Not to my image but to the well.

I wasn't matured and was sharing the joys and sorrows of my age with it. I feel like my sorrows drowning and my joys come like a spring. The echo of my voice in it gave me courage to face the day to day life.

It was a morning exercise for me to draw water from my WELL. Yes, It was keeping me fit.

When I receive guests, I take a lot of pleasure in introducing my WELL to them. When they see it with their eyes widely opened I take a fresh breath from my WELL.

During a particular season which I don't remember, I used to see small fishes escaping into the water from the bucket. I would feel as if I have a big aquarium in my house.

We even use to throw Lord Ganesha into the WELL after the Ganesha Chathurti festival and it never gave us a feeling that we are departing with Lord Ganesha. After all we are dumping Him into our own WELL.

My WELL gave refuge to our drunken neighbour once. My neigbour's son once came drunk to the house. Nobody in the house knows that he used to drink. His father got angry with him and took a bamboo cane to beat him. He immediately ran and stepped down into the well holding the rope. Only after his father agreed to withdraw he came up. He saluted my WELL in his own drunken style for giving him refuge. That was a good comedy. My WELL made me laugh to the core.

Overall it had a speciality of full-filing our wishes. Yes! It was our "Wishing Well" too. We used to pray God to full-fill our wish and would throw a stone into the well. With the noise of the water splash, we would predict how far our wish had reached the Almighty.

Now that years have passed and we have changed houses, I really miss my dearest WELL a lot.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanaja
    Great writeup...The Well.. not sure how many houses have it these days..My grandmothers house had it in the village. The bathroom and kitchen had one window opening to the well..you could just reach out to the ropes hanging there and tie one end to the pot and start pulling...done it innumerable times..great exercise..Thanks for writing :)

3. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vanaja,

great writeup about the WELL, you made me nostalgic :)

there is a well in my grandparents house and it used to be fun fetching the water from it, but my grandparents never allowed us to go near it, when we were alone we used to peep into it and would love to watch our face in the natural mirror and throw the bucket into it.
    As it is very near to our playground, when ever we use to play cricket the ball for sure will drop into the WELL, and it used to be fun taking the ball from it using the bucket.

the WELL is still there but dried out :(

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Vanaja,
    Very nicely writtern.Theres a well in my paents place even now.Even i used to feel happy to see our well brimming with water to almost 3/4th after heavy rains.It used to be an event of checking the water level for all of cousins in our respective houses and boast about it.But, these days there are no well.esp. in flat system.Its only borewell.I too miss my WELL...but anyways will chk it out when i visit my parents:hiya

5. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Vanaja,

You have taken me back in time , a very welcome trip down memory lane,when we used to visit my native home in Kerala. Oh ! I would just love to be near the well, something we never even got to see in Mumbai.
    I would stand near the well like a watchman from morning and offer to draw water from the well for whoever wanted to bathe sincerely offering my services for washing clothes ,utensils etc. I absolutely loved the experience.One of the interesting and most awaited reason for the trip would be the well.Good old days!!

Youre episode of the drunken neighbour had me in splitsBig Laugh

Regards,
    Devika

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

WELL, well well....

You are making me go back down the memory lane, Vanaja...

I am coming from the pial to see the well...

Me too loved to draw water from the well, enjoy it during the monsoon season and see how far it can reach the brim of the well and even tried to reach it and i don't remember who said that either my parents or my aunt, to clap the hands before drawing water from the well for the 1st time in the morning, i loved to do that...
    when my daughters were there for the vacation, they also loved that well and they sneak to draw from it because we were all afraid for them...

We all miss that lovely experience as my parents moved to another place...
    my daughters brought that well water with them before they left India...

loved that comedy ...

sriniketan

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanaja
    A nice write up on well............
    Had a good laugh about the dunken man...
    I can remember when my grandpaents were there we had a huge well inside the house. It was nice fun drawing water from it when we were kids and use to visit during our vacations.
    Now there is a small well in my in-laws house...this is being dug becoz of the water problems people face now a days.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Vanaja,

Down memory lane...had a well in the grandparents place. and also one in the fields..that was huge..people used to play in that...as children we used to collect groundnuts, sweet potatoes from the fields wash it under teh gushing water from the motor pump and have a feast there itself.

now, wells are very rare here. We used to stay in a rented place, and there was a well. had good exercise. and it was always kept closed under lock and key. what with DS and DD being naughty...Inspite of that they used to bring glasses, spoons and whatever possible and throw it inside and enjoy.

One in 6 to a year my FIL used to get into the bottom and get out so many items whose whereabouts were a question mark.

I am in splits thinking about the drunken man and his comedy.

I too miss the wells.

9. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear AC,

Thanks for the reply and comments. My WELL too had a window the other side. The house behind was sharing the WELL with us. But they never even open the window and we were the sole users.

10. srinivasan_vanaja

thanks for the comments. but my grandmother would ask me to fetch water even if there is no necessity for water.

i forgot to mention this ball sequences. children who play outside have hit the ball many times directly to our WELL. yes, it is a great fun taking the ball out using the bucket. thank you for reminding this.