1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Love Malls, I Hate Malls, I Love Malls, I Hate Malls ......

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 18, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]I HATE shopping in malls :rant. At least I do these days. I hate stepping into a mall especially on weekends. It does things to me that makes my alimentary canal very active with disastrous results. BH has to rush me home immediately and that means NOW. :hide::bonk

It was not always like this. I used to love shopping in high street chains. My favourite haunts used to be Boots, Marks and Spencers (affectionately referred to as Marks and Sparks), Sainsbury, Safeway and Tesco. I loved buying little things like scented soaps, Yardley's perfumes - rose and lavender fragrances (makes me feel like Ms. Marple. I don't know if she loved these two fragrances, but I suspect she would. They are just the kind of fragrances that a sweet old lady like her would, though I was neither sweet nor old), bubbly bath soaps (I once bought one big bottle because I got 3 for the price of 1 and landed up gifting 2 of them at the end of my stay of 4.5 years in the UK to a friend because I never got through the first bottle - don't get me wrong, it was not that I did not bathe, it was just that I did not always have time for a bubbly bath and preferred to shower and for the occasions I did my friends always gifted me soaps and stuff for Christmas - again not as a subtle reminder to bathe or anything like that, just that they knew my weakness for the stuff and it is not uncommon among students to gift each other such things as they are fairly affordable). As for the other chains, I need not elaborate on why I loved going there. The food shelves used to be calling out to me - loud and clear, beckoning to me, making eyes at me, begging me to go out and reach out for them. [​IMG]

But I don't quite know what happened to me once I was back in Mera Bharat Mahaan. I hate shopping in malls. I love the old fashioned shops where I can buy what I want and have a chinwag with the shopkeeper - gossip, bargain, whatever. I like supermarkets when their check out counters are not crowded. But malls????? On weekends!!!!! No! [​IMG] Illa!!! Naheeeeeeeeeen!!!!! Save me. I suffer from claustrophobia which I discovered only when I stepped into one on a weekend. On weekdays I am a bit braver, go in if my life depends on it, buy whatever I have to and rush out.

So it was that when my dear friend Kelly called me last week and asked me if I could meet her at a mall in the afternoon, I bravely agreed. After all Kelly was there to save me from the big bad mall if it wanted to swallow me up. I took as little money as I thought I would need and went along. Kelly needed to buy some stuff from the shops there. So I would go along with her and look around.

Just then we were passing M&S, my dear Marks and Sparks. I did not even look at the shop or show any intention of entering it. Just then Kelly - baaaaaaaad girl, temptress of poor souls like me - asked if I would just like to take a look round, there was a sale going on. I said why not. After all I had no intention of buying anything. We went in. We looked at the clothes. Nothing looked even half enticing. Pretty enough, but not good enough to tempt ME. We went around. Just out of the corner of my eye, I caught a sight of ..... the shelves with perfumes, soaps, moisturizing lotions ..... HELLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!! I am sure there was some strong magnet on those shelves. How could I escape its attractive force with that metallic rod and screws in my spine????? I ambled along slowly ..... or no, did I run towards them????? I don't quite remember. Now I don't even know if I quite registerd the speed of my movement at that time.

What followed was utter confusion. What was I to pick up? The lotion or the cream? The soap or the gel? There was only one way out. I begged Kelly to help me out of the mess she had landed me in. I would close my eyes, she could switch the stuff that caused me such confusion between both her hands and I would take whatever was in the hand I picked. Mercifully for her the sales woman came to her rescue. She offered to let me try out the products. Stupid me!!!!! In my excitement I had even forgotten that I could test their products. Finally the choice was made and I came out the poorer out of that shop. Now don't go giving me such disapproving looks. I shall redirect all those in Kelly's direction. [​IMG] It woz she who suggested I go into that shop in the first place. Hrrmmmmmmph..........

Well, now Kelly needed to check out another shop. We walked in. She did not find what she wanted. I picked up something I needed. Then I noticed some nice dinnerware displayed on the side. Now had BH not wanted some soup bowls sometime ago? Well, of course he had. So that was it. I picked up 6 of those and walked out with my purse left with just enough dough to get me to another friend's (outofthebox) house by bus and back home by bus :drowning :bang And for all that she had not even bought what she came to buy in the first place.

And of course I HATE malls. Or do I? [​IMG] Or may be not. I still LOVE them when I have a friend to go with me on a week day in the afternoon and especially when we stuff ourselves with chaat at the end of it. :rotfl[/JUSTIFY]

18 people like this.

2. cuppcake

cuppcake Gold IL'ite

Satchi..you transported me to all the shopping places I love, the streets, the malls, the cute cornershops, the lotion vs cream debates, who hasn't grappled with these dilemmas. I soooo want to do this last bit right now !!

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Satchi,

I have to tell you, I don't enjoy the malls in India and I am not much of a mall shopper here as well! The first time I set foot in a mall in India was when we met to meet Viji aunty! I was stunned and over whelmed not only meeting so many ILs for the first time but also looking at the number of people that were there on the weekend - it was big window opening to the cultural change in India! When the power went off for a few minutes and I panicked, I will not be understating my fear. And then after that of course I have visited a couple of other times during my visits but only to catch a movie :) I like those theaters yet some times crave for the old cinema type too! We do take a stroll in the malls here once a year mostly during Christmas and that's it! I am becoming a grouch when it comes to shopping, yes even grocery shopping sometimes!

I am sure that the mall was bearable to you because of Kerman! She is so sweet to be with that you will not notice anything around you - no wonder you were not drawn to anything in particular! I am already looking forward to my next trip and hoping to spend some meaningful time with you and her!

4 people like this.
  4. satchitananda

You bet cuppcake. This is called having the cake (whether it be in a cupp or not I dunno) and eating it too. You can live in Mera Bharat Mahaan and have all the joys of shopping in M&S once in a while when you feel like pampering yourself. Am waiting for the day when Tesco comes to town.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Hi Sabitha, I don't go shopping much these days. It is a once in a blue moon phenomenon. Malls are pretty exhausting if one spends too long there. It is alright to spend a while there, buy whatever you need, eat something nice and come out.

I remember going with a friend to watch a film on a weekend in summer here in a mall. It was a pretaste of hell and I am convinced hell would be enticing after that. The A/C was not on, the lounge was choc a bloc ..... oh it was awful. Though I have had better experiences of movie theaters in malls. Yes, one does miss the experience of the old time ones too.

Looking forward to your next visit to India.

6. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

I always find many things attractive when i accompany someone and that someone wants to actually buy..This is what happened to you as well..Next time plan going there with a list you will want to buy,ultimately you will not find anything attractive..Atleast your purse will be saved:cheers

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

Hi iamsrihere, now that is a good, no, it is a wonderful idea. But the only catch is I never step out of the house if I have to go to buy anything - I am just too lazy :rotfl

8. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

good narration... loved reading it Satchi

9. satchitananda

10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear satchi
    Ha Ha Ha my God Save me I am not able to control my laughter wicked girl shouldnt you warn me before hand so that i would have held my sides tightly ..they are aching ....

Aha What sweet revenge to meet you at a mall ....

3 people like this.