1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

I hv electric gas stove, how to keep undersurface of utensils clean!!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Weasly, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Hey dear ladies,

i have electric gas stove at my home, like most apartments in US. I tried looking for an apt with gas stove in my area, but there werent any and the knes who had gas stove burners were really far from our area.
    Now problem is these electric stove top leave all kinds of marks on the underside of the utensils i have!! I bought all these new utensils after marriage n the top side looks new like they were bought yesterday n the underside has all kinds of burnt marks. I have tried cleaning them, they dont come of. Have put them in dishwasher(usually i dont wash non stick items in dishwasher though) , have tried cleaning with the copper scrubber, that leaves a lot of scrathes so i dont want to do tht as well. I try cleaning the gas also after every cooking session! Clean the gas, take the burners out, clean the stuff underneath it also!
    When this started happening in the first few months, i asked my husband abt it as i was new, he said, this happens with electric gas stove! But i dont think so this is his area of expertise !!
    Any ladies have any suggestions?!

this is the electric stove type i have!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You will not get marks on the bottom IF the outside of the pan is completely clean and the burners are free from grease when you heat them up. If you are doing a lot of frying, chances are that grease is going here and there through no fault of your own. My mother's pan which were used for decades had no marks on the bottom (stainless steel pans) but she didn't like fried stuff. So here are some tips:

Get your pans clean to start. I like the Dawn Power Dissolver in the blue pump bottle. Spray it on the pans (bottoms up) and leave it overnight. Scrub off in the morning with a green scrubby.

Dawn Power Dissolver ? Foam Spray For Cleaning Tough Greasy Foods

When you are going to cook, heat up the burner before you put on the pan and don't put the pan on until nothing is smoking/burning off.

When you cook use a pan that will cover a burner...you should not see the burner when the pan is on it. This is important for a number of reasons: don't waste power; you can burn the bottoms of the handles; you can burn your fingers; food will fall on the burners as you cook (boil over, grease splatters). This is why there are a couple sizes of burners on the stoves...so you can match to the pot.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Ohhhh!! I put the pan before its heated!! Also i fry a lot!! Ok ill do as suggested! Thank u !!

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The oil from frying is probably what is causing this.
    I had it happen once when the oil dripped over the side of the pan and then got burnt on. I was never able to remove the stain from the outside of that pan.
    Try to drain the oil carefully on the inside of the pan before removing the fried item.

1 person likes this.
  5. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

If you are using stainless steel utensils, you can try using barkeeper's friend to remove any stains. You can purchase it any store or amazon.com . It is the best cleaner I ever used to clean stainless steel utensils. It makes pots and pans as clean as new without any scratches. But I dont know if you can use this for nonstick pots and pans. I use it once in a while when the bottom of the pans gets any burnt mark stains. And I am using ceramic stove top which is sometime difficult to keep clean.

1 person likes this.
  6. howtoclean

howtoclean New IL'ite

Hi weasly,
    First thing always use temperature according to the quantity of food which you are going to cook.Second thing, If utensils are burnt then add 1 tea spoon baking soda and 1 tb spoon of vinegar with hot water leave it for an hour. Rub with scrubber. Your utensils will become new again.

1 person likes this.