I have inferiority complex on my written communication

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by EnglishNotGood, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: dear @EnglishNotGood
    @Gauri03 @jskls @sokanasanah
    @englishtutorjul @Gouri1976 @Gouri9 @butterflyice @meVaidehi @satchitananda
    @
    Super good thread. I enjoyed the contents of all FBs here. Not that I rejoiced in some one's plight. It was nostalgic for me when I struggled to learn and write in English in the yore of days.

During reading english essays I remember days when dad insist that I read loudly. I remember words wrongly sounded while reading such as miskelyanoss ... (miscellaneous) that dad corrected my pronunciation.
    Once during local train journey I met this guy J who born with silver spoon in mouth. When train halted he entered the compartment almost dashed against me standing near entrance holding the roof - metal sliding hook. He smiled and wished me striking his palm over his right temple. When i enquired, "how are you?" He responded, " I is fine. How are you?"
    I took a while to respond and said " I is Fine".
    I could have responded "thanks. I am fine." But discretion taught me that the boy should not feel my English bad. So I responded in the same coin.
    Oh our Indian English Life is Like That! It is always English-Vinglish Sridevi or still better like Tamil super star Rajini Kanth, " I walk english. I sleep english. I run english. I eat english.
    Happy Golu navarathri to all Il'Ites.

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Thank you Mr. T aka @Thyagarajan for unearthing another very interesting thread.

"Thanks for coming" is so perfunctory.

It is such a joy to hear something like "We are very happy to see you".

It shows thought, appreciation, presence instead of throwing a few common phrases which lose meaning after repetition.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

4. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

For few, Speaking English itself is a nightmare or a phobia. Do we hv a single word for this phobia in question?

Here are some phobias & nuggets.
    • Athazagoraphobia: the fear of being forgotten or ignored by someone who you strongly care about.
    • Cherophobia: the fear of happiness. People with this cherophobia believe that every time they feel happy, something bad will happen and ruin it.
    • It’s possible to die from a broken heart. It’s called Stress Cardiomypathy
    • The average amount of time a woman can keep a secret is 47 hours and 15 minutes.
    • The average man gets bored of shopping after 26 minutes.
    • People are more honest when physically tired. This is why most people confess things during late night conversations.
    • Never use your favorite song as your alarm clock. You’ll end up hating it.
    • If you want someone to listen to you, start the conversation with” I shouldn’t be telling you this”.
    • Don’t argue through text messages. The lack of tone decreases the meaning of the words.
    • The most powerful way to win an argument is by asking questions. It can make people see the flaws in their logic.
    • When ignored by someone who means a lot to you, the reaction in your brain is similar to physical pain.
    • Boys are actually more emotionally affected by relationship troubles than girls. They just know how to hide it well.
    • You’re more likely to be easily attracted to someone you have no chance with.
    • If you can’t stop your stream of thoughts at night, get up and write them down. This will set your mind at ease so you can sleep.
    When women fall in love, their bodies also produces norepi-nephrine and phenyl-ethylamine. These increase focus while creating a sense of euphoria. That's why women often become focused on one man to the exclusion of other things when they're falling in love)

#adapted from net

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    satchitananda likes this.
  6. SaumyaV

SaumyaV Senior IL'ite

I think your writing is wonderful. There is no need to feel embarrassed or have low self esteem. You are a wonderful communicator too.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

A student in a hurry produced a leave letter stating the reason for seeking permission to remain absent as below:
    “....as i am suffering from leave kindly grant me two days headache & fever...”
    A son to a dad camping in a far of city
    “.... i appeared for typewriting & short hand exams and passed and failed respectively....”
    An ad by way tender notice as insertion in classified section: “.....tenders for supplying quantity 55 widows before end of financial year...” responses received asking whether supply in one go or in instalments . Later addendum inserted to read “ windows” for existing “ widows”.

Said by late Mr Annadurai the Then DMK party Chief And former Chief Minster of Madras (chennai)​

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    satchitananda likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

ref to former chief minister mr CN Annadurai was in respect of an image which for some queer reasons or a mistake upload_2023-5-1_15-44-54.jpeg from my side as not got posted here. I shall add it here as an addendum .