I have inferiority complex on my written communication

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by EnglishNotGood, Dec 4, 2015.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Oh, I don't know. She gives me an awfully hard time. I would be careful if I were you.

Once, when I did not know the difference between Richard II and Richard III, she ganged up with her friend Aria and they ridiculed me. Come on, it's not like I have a degree in English history - I'm not some know-it-all, like they are, y'know?

Then she makes fun of me writing in Tamil, of my inability to translate. Makes fun of my hair and of stories about my mum watching the 'Friends' TV show when I was in daycare. About the music I listened to in my crib. And then, she calls me 'professor' because I don't know stuff that she does.

I'm sure other people have similar horror stories to tell. One of these days I'm going to report her (and Aria) to the moderator of the Education & Growth thread. waitingsmiley

@Gauri03, @Lyraa, @Deepslikes, @Rihana

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl

One thing I could not gauge till now is the senior neurites nature..
    Will probably never be able to..
    Too complicated for my neurons..

Thyagarajan, EnglishNotGood and jskls like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

what would you say if you listen to Kannada from other parts of south India. Just joking ....

Thyagarajan and EnglishNotGood like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

All the folks who have chimed in here are people I consider excellent writers, including you OP. Your problem seems to be a confidence issue more than one of grammar or style. If you so wish, you can write 500-750 words on any subject and post it either here, or on English Matters. Each one of these ladies and gent(s) will be happy to provide feedback.

5. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Akkaare, hanga anthirthaara bidri, neev yaaka thali kedoskothri :)
    (Sista, they do say such things, don't you mind them).

I relate to what you say, I have come across many Bangaloreans who are that way wrt North Karnataka kannada. To them I have learnt to say, Uttara Karnataka kannada is the ancient kannada. The Tamil that I speak is also ancient, so is my Hindi - you get the drift? ;)

Your H's relatives' remarks are pretty insensitive and smack of arrogance. I know plenty of convent-educated folks who do not write as well as you do. What is convent-educated english btw? Saying " Oh men, not like that men!!" with an accent that does not sell in US! Do not let such people get to you.

I was just reading this book called You are special to kiddos. Pretty neat. Read it if you are upto reading kids' stuff.

And yes, all the people whose language skills I admire have had to work pretty hard to get there, yes even in adulthood. I am not sure if mere convent education can get you there. As of today, my cousins who studied in kannada medium have better English skills than some of us convent-educated heathens.

To get the US popular expressions, which seems to be your concern, you should probably watch TV shows or hear tapes. I find that tends to pick up language faster that way. I also like New yorker the magazine for the style, although it can a be dense read if you are not familiar with that kind of writing.

6. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

ENG.. Your English is definitely good. Looking forward to see your snippets in IL. :)

7. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

Written or oral? If you want to do a course in English then learn grammar, but if your sole aim is to become fluent in English then forget about that grammar part and jump into the field directly, do watch lot of movies, read books (especially the ones from Eliot, Shakespeare), now there are lot of apps that can help you to learn a language try them, do participate in discussions, by following all these would definitely boost your confidence levels, there is nothing wrong with your English, its just that your self esteem is low, try to overcome that first....

Even my understanding of grammar is not that good, but still I have scored pretty decent in all of my exams, to be frank, we dun know most of the grammatical rules in our own mother tongue,then why to worry about this one...

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Your English is perfectly good, ENG. Don't worry too much. Prepositions are trouble areas in all languages. So chill!

9. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

ENG, your English is definitely not bad enough to make you feel inferior. There always is room for improvement but you do not need to feel so bad. Do you know so many people from USA, UK, Australia etc. whose first and only language is English, are bad in English mostly written. Feel proud that you know Kannada, English and i'm guessing Hindi.

Suggestions on how to improve:
    First of all exposure. Read all the emails you receive very carefully. Learn from them. While reading focus on English not on translating to understand.
    Think in English that is extremely helpful. Thinking in mother tongue and translating on the go is the biggest obstacle people face.
    Watch a lot of English movies, TV shows, news with subtitles. Concentrate on learning how they are using words and grammar. You don't need to know heavy words. Basic is enough.
    Find someone who is willing to help you and talk to them without feeling guilty, inferior, conscious . Let them correct you, remember the corrections.

But start by believing its just something you are learning and sooner or later you are going to master it. Just a matter of time.

Best of luck,

Vaidehi

10. EnglishNotGood

EnglishNotGood Silver IL'ite

@butterflyice, I am sort of tube light in quick paybacks. If people make comment on my English or Kannada, my neuron lights up only after a while. More than to impress my relatives or H, I have inner desire to become better at it for my kids' sake. To be able to assess their assignments and essays with authority. To offer them useful suggestions in their improvement. Currently, my self assessment falls short on these.

I will try to write a snippet on any life's event and will request readers to offer feedback on inaccuracies and mistakes, so I could learn from them.

My current schedule at work and home does not allow me to enroll in any writing courses in community college or university nearby.

Thanks for all your replies.

Thyagarajan, Gouri9 and vaidehi71 like this.