I have inferiority complex on my written communication

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by EnglishNotGood, Dec 4, 2015.

1. EnglishNotGood

EnglishNotGood Silver IL'ite

Not related to the thread topic but thought will ask here from members who are here for long time.

I got an e-mail from the admin here asking me to select a welcome gift.

Do you disclose your name and address to receive that?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Really, I have no idea.
    I would not reveal my name and address just for that sake..
    Only a few of my friends here know my identity, but the best thing is not to reveal your identity in this public forum and I suggest the same to you.

Thyagarajan and EnglishNotGood like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

ENG your English is more than perfect. Others have given you valuable feedback for grammar. Practice practice practice is the only way. If you like to read then read on varied subjects. Google for essays and usage of words too. I am not an expert. I would say you are doing great reading Percy Jackson series and Laura Ingall's books. I remember Little house on the Prairies. You are in the right place where you can write learn and grow too. When I ask my kids to speak in native language they would tell I know only to think in 'English'. I guess the language we are used to would come to us automatically. The way we learnt English is different from the way these kids here learn today. So don't worry much about it.

4. EnglishNotGood

My H is not of much use in boosting my self esteem. I say 'snap photos ' when in vacation and he laughs loudly saying it should be 'take pictures'. For me, while growing up , we always referred movies as pictures, so immediately the word doesn't come to me. His English is much better than mine but he doesn't help kids but he is ready to make fun of me when I do. This icon is him gigglingsmiley

I read all posts and suggestions. And I am glad to read that you all did not consider my English that bad. This is huge to help my morale in improving further. Thanks a lot for all the replies. My goal is to help my kids constructively in their essays and other writing assignments when they reach high school and I still have few more years to improve.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

I am sailing in the same boat. The difference is that I don't really know any rules of grammar, not just the usage of prepositions. And I don't have the good sense to feel embarrassed about it, which means that I may never learn :(
    The few times that I start making an effort, something more interesting comes by and I abandon it.

6. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Ugh! The next time he does that, look him in the eye and tell him - Its perfectly acceptable to say that! Also laugh at him and say - You are so rude, I wonder how your colleagues put up with you and raise your eyebrows.

More on English later.

PS: Are we talking about North Karnataka kannada or South Karnataka Kannada?

7. EnglishNotGood

@butterflyice, I am originally from North Karnataka. So even my Kannada is considered inferior in front of Bengaluru Kannadigas of my husband' s family and friends here in US!

Surprisingly, their snide remarks never used to bother me earlier but in last 2-3 years, I have become sensitive. I don't know is it because of the realization that to change ourselves is difficult as we grow older?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Now I know the problem is not with u it is with ur husband..

So you should be asking how to change his character?

To change husband no advice we give is right, you alone know him and it is in your hands..But I don't think it is that hard..

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

OP, I forgot to add that I did not find anything wrong with your English.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. EnglishNotGood

I missed reading this in my quick read.
    I haven't read too many posts yet but reading some of the posts and threads of her in last 2 days since I registered here, I consider her as extremely nice natured. Her confidence shows but she doesn't come across as snobbish at all. She was the first one to give sincere feedback to my thread as well. I wish my relatives and family friends who boast of superior English and manners were half nice as her.

Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.