1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

I got annyoed

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by skalluri, Apr 8, 2010.

1. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Sujatha,
    Nope, do not take a fatalistic attitude. You have rude ppl everywhere.

Some ppl are more chilled out, some are highly strung and rude. I have seen a few such specimens. Invariably such people are going through a tough time themselves and lash out on ppl around them.

Of course with desis, there is another added dynamic of off shoring. Some have that also in their sub conscious. By taking a defensive attitude and not speaking up for yourself in the future you will hurt yourself more.

Btw, my place of work we have personnel from different depts. sitting in the same work area. Some need to be on calls all day etc. we learn to tune it out.

2. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

skalluri,

Just a light take on this matter. I personally don't see anything wrong in using a cellphone in the restroom, as long as it is not a loud conversation. But then, I don't run a company, so my views may not matter!

It looks like you are hurt by the lady's behavior and are seeking validation from others out here that you did nothing wrong. Now, the only person who can actually tell you why the lady reacted that way, is the lady herself!:rotfl

We can only hazard guesses, without seeing the actual encounter..

Don't take a stranger's grumpiness to heart - they are strangers, be thankful for that!

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Sujatha,

Talking on the cellphone inside a restroom would be against general cellphone etiquette, so maybe that is why she got offended. She need not have shown it in such a rude manner, that is a different story. However I don't think it was racist or anything.

The best thing to do would have been to tell your friend you will call her in 5 minutes or so and go out to a conference room or even outside in the parking lot or something to make the call.

Just my thoughts.

4. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

I think the etiquette part has to do with speaking on cell in the restroom stall. OP was outside the stalls in the common area which had some chairs etc. If the company did not want employees to chat in the non-stall area why put multiple chairs there?

I think even in popular amru culture there are some disagreements on this topic so this is not set in stone. Found a humorous article on the topic:
    snopes.com: Cell Phone Conversation in Restroom

What I find interesting is that we somehow let etiquette divas override our sense of humanity and common sense.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  5. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

[Late post, but I just came across this thread]

I agree with Nandhu on this.

Whatever! I really hate it when people talk on the phone in PUBLIC/WORKPLACE restrooms. Thats one of my peeves. Infact when possible, I put my phone on vibrate before going into a restroom, so it does not ring there and cause a noise.

I may not tell people off like the rude woman did in this case, but still I think it is not a polite thing to have conversation in restroom vicinity.

Best is to go for a walk outside the building and chat away (unless ofcourse there is an urgent situation or some real quick 2 minute call to take).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  7. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Welcome to the club, again! :coffee

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Thanks, and no coffee in the restroom vicinity either :)

I think I should open a separate thread (recommend me the right subforum) where we can share the IL-ites "PET PEEVES".

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  9. wolozid

wolozid New IL'ite

You must have forgotten about this by now ! But I am completely with you on this 'Sis, no amount of personal issues warrants nasty behavior from anyone and it shouldn't be taken lightly. This happens so often and we desis quickly soothe ourselves with crap that oh! they have personal issues. Can u imagine a typical Desi with personal issues behaving rudely in an office building or anywhere public for that matter..No way! This is a democracy and you can very well confront her and if u want to avoid an issue at work " Look up to the Good Lord and pray for vindication" and forgive that &^&^&*&!!!