1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I get only 50 ml of expressed milk when pumped once in one hour?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by shobanal, Feb 19, 2011.

1. shobanal

shobanal Junior IL'ite

will it be enough for my 3 months old baby? she refuses to suck through my breast? i tried hard to change this habit? but couldn't make out.(accepts breastfeeding only during dream feeding, anyone know the reason?) hence expressing and feeding.
    I am confused whether my baby gets enough milk?
    I give (30 ml of expressed milk mixed with 30 ml of formula) 60 ml for each feed. sometimes she sleeps quitely . sometimes she sucks her finger. She drinks only when formula is mixed in equal proportion, I believe. will this be enough for my baby? Her bowel movements are regular and good. But Not sure about the weight gain.I didnt check her weight. But looks leaner than when she has born (everybody says) Pls anyone assist me in this case.

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Is your baby sensitive to anything you're eating? Did she ever take the breast properly?

The only way to check for sensitivity is elimination diet. I never got more than about 75 ml either. The pump, however good, is not as good as baby in getting milk out.

If your baby is hungry, she will tell you. She will scream.

When a baby is born, she has water retention. I would get her weighed and not try to second guess whether or not she is putting on weight correctly. Appearances can be misleading.

3. shobanal

shobanal Junior IL'ite

now she has got nasal congestion and not drinking at all. what to do?

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shobanal

Suggestions from my side

Please dont assume anything when it comes to your baby....better to consult the doc immediately before coming to any conclusion..

also i have heard that its not good to give both formula and BM for a single feed...even though i am not sure here,i feel again consulting your PED would be better

nasal congestion??..again did you visit the PED?...with a 3 months baby,please please DO NOT EVER wait when the baby has some health issues...your PED is the best person to consult...

At the end,i would say when you have an infant and lot of troubles/questions relating to BF,weight,cold cough etc,i feel there would be no other best person than the Pediatrician

Please dont wait...take your baby to the doctor asap

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  5. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi Shobanal,

Congrats on your LO.

50 ml/ hour is a good amount in my opinion. Why do u feel the need to supplement with formula. I would suggest that u give her 4 oz (around 100ml) every 2-3 hours. No need to supplement with formula. If she doesn't sleep for long or doesn't wet her nappies foe 8-10 times a day , you can think about the formula.

For nasal congestion get some saline and nasal aspirator. keep her side ways, put two drops of saline in eash nostril and aspirate.Remember to do this before feeds, if you do it after, she may vomit and a clear nose will make feeding easy.

Unless she develops a fever, you can wait till the next vaccination date to see the paed.

best regards,

6. shobanal

shobanal Junior IL'ite