1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

I don't want to eat egg, but if I avoid egg, my hairs start to fall out

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Mar 2, 2013.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

I am trying to eat natural foods, foods that have not been processed.

And I am trying to avoid animal products because I hear they are linked to high rates of cancer. Just look at the American diet.

Instead, I am trying to get protein from green, leafy vegetables, because protein from animal products get excreted with urine.

I have been getting this information from a book, "Eat to Live" by Joel Furman.

I used to eat one egg in the morning. But for some reason I would feel strange eating egg. And one time I had a dream that I felt weird after eating egg. I stopped for few days then I notice I start to loose few hairs.

This type of thing happened once or twice.

Is there something natural I can eat in place of egg so that my hair doesn't start falling out?

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi ZZZZ,
    For proteins how about including Almonds, Chick peas , Mung sprouts, diary products etc....

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Zip:
    Please take a course in nutrition.....this book you are reading is leading you to eating patterns that scare me. Green leafy stuff is NOT protein. You are newly married and presumably going to start a family. What you do during this period can affect the development and intelligence and health of any baby so please get good counsel on this. Or go to a nutritionist who can tailor a diet for you based on your philosophical beliefs.

2 people like this.
  4. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

I second tashidelek. You can post your query in the Nutrition section under Health Forum where you may get a precise answer.

5. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

You can get SOME protein from leafy greens, but you'd have to eat buckets - I'm not kidding, BUCKETS - of them a day to get enough.

If you're looking for vegetarian protein sources, my favorite is quinoa (pronounced keen-wa). It's a seed that resembles/behaves like a grain, and it contains all of the essential amino acids that our bodies don't make on their own. You can usually find it with other grains like couscous, rice, and pasta. Dairy, nuts, seeds, and beans are good protein sources, though you will want to pair nuts, seeds, and beans with a grain to get a "complete" protein.

A note on dairy: look for whole, not light, low-fat or fat free, dairy products. The fat helps you absorb the calcium, vitamins, and proteins. Fat-free dairy is actually not so good for your health. (You need some fat in your diet, too.)

It's not always easy to eat a low-carb vegetarian diet by typical "low-carb" standards, but if you're concerned about your carb-fat-protein balance, you should try to limit the carbs you eat. Don't necessarily exclude them altogether. All carbs are not created equal and you do actually need SOME carbs, but probably not as many as you currently get.

The best thing you could do is pay attention to your health and how you feel when you eat a certain way. Pay attention to things like your energy level (which has as much to do with diet as it does sleep), your bathroom habits, your mood, etc. All of those are indicators of whether or not your diet is ideal and healthy. Adjust it until you feel your best, healthwise, and go with that.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Hello Everyone

I didn't realize there was a Nutrition forum :::blushing:::, but now I got answers to my original query :)

@ tashidelek: I'm now looking for such courses. christinacooks.com seems to have a lot of great info to start with, her dishes look appetizing and are healthy at same time. I believe she is Vegan.

@ LunaDoveDesigns: I love the info you gave. quinoa - I shall try this!

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I checked that website....seems legitimate. I would still urge you to take Human Nutrition at a college level (should be one semester to get the knowledge you would need) so you really understand the basics of nutrition. Food can be "healthy" but your meal can still be unbalanced. Also, Indian diet is often heavy on carbs and light on protein although needn't be that with some tweaking. Traditional thali is more balanced as opposed to a couple veg dishes where the protein is not balanced. FYI quick way to balance: one dairy, one grain, one bean. Great example is Mexican food.

8. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

dear op,

i am assuming you are indian.

there is no need to worry about your daily source of protein.

dal, which generally all indians eat regulary is a rich source of protein.

other sources are milk, all grains, paneer, soya

please do not eat eggs, they are as it is not recommended in ayurveda.

lots of people are veg, all of them do not suffer from protein deficiency.

infact hardcore nonveg people can sometimes suffer from gout- excess of protein.