I don't like the new forum

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by aamrapali, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nemesis, what extension are you using and how is it helping?

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My own understanding of how Adblock plus works is quite different. The extension does not make temporary files on your machine. It dials directly into the HTTP stream, parses the incoming HTML for strings that point to known ad-servers, and then renders the HTML without rendering any of the ads. The string parsing is done using regular expression matching. Adblock plus maintains a list of ad-servers called the 'easylist' and searches the HTML content for these known strings.

If it were actually downloading all content onto your machine it would use twice the amount of memory, and also defeat one of the primary functions of the software which is to avoid trackers. The very act of downloading the ads messages the trackers all information about the client machine. I wouldn't be surprised if some ad-blockers are actually implemented in this fashion, but it is an example of truly awful programming. Adblock plus does not work like this.

Personally, I've had zero issues with the new version of the forum. It loads up just fine on Firefox, Chrome and Safari. I haven't used it on IE so I'm not sure how it performs there. I also use a bunch of ad-blocking and privacy extensions, but I've never noticed any lag or bad rendering of any pages on IL. I actually like the uncluttered forum structure. Navigation can definitely be improved but it isn't a deal-breaker.

PS: I know ads are the bread and butter of sites such as IL. I don't use any ad-blocking on my iPad, and I do occasionally click on interesting ads. So I'm trying to be good and do my bit to keep IL in the black. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Jey

Uttaraa,

That is a good idea to evaluate. In the meantime, you can access Unanswered threads in the quicklinks and help out the people whose queries hasn't been answered.

Unanswered Threads.jpg

4. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Thank Jey, for responding. Please feel free to redact this thread to avoid confusion as malformed page was seen only for an hour on that day and we do not want readers to spend time chasing the sasquatch.

1 person likes this.
  5. shambu

shambu Silver IL'ite

yes, I do feel a bit. These are the probs:

1) Its taking longer time to load.
    2) The previous one was much much easier to navigate.
    3) A bit difficult to search.
    4) May be, the HOME screen of the previous one is, I feel, better. Even the FONT & FONT SIZE of the previous HOME screen was better.

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aamrapali,

You need not feel obligated at all to answer the questions we had for you. It's totally up to you. Since you took the initiative to say you didn't like it, we thought you will spare a few minutes to say what is making you not like it.

You still did a great thing by starting this thread and giving your initial feedback atleast. That way you got so many others here to open up and most of all, few of them have come forward to provide help in making us understand and fix issues with these changes.

2 people like this.
  7. Induslady

Dear All,

Just to summarize a few things we are working on:

1. Optimizing to make the site load faster
    2. Improvise the Search
    3. Ads on Forums navigational links will be removed

Note: Site should work without any issues on Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
    It should also work on Internet Explorer version 9 onwards.
    Windows 7 / 8 Operating System should also be fine.
    If your browser is out-dated, or if your browser does not have some scripting options enabled, you will see user-friendly messages informing you the same.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jey

Priya, this is fixed.

9. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Re: Organizing Relationship Success Stories

Hi,
    I want to put this point.. I really liked one feature of old design which can be implemented here as well. "when ever we click forums it will show the drop down list of forums where we can easily select and go to a particular page" .. This feature is lacking in new layout and it is really tough to go back every time and click twice.

10. Induslady

Re: Organizing Relationship Success Stories

ivalakshmi, Jey answered that here - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...8525-i-dont-like-new-forum-5.html#post3056754. But, we are exploring some other alternatives.