1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

i dont know where to start

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ATI, May 31, 2011.

1. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone... My DH and I have been having some problems (well I think there are problems and he thinks its normal). I would love some advice on how to start making sense of this. I will warn you - this is long.....

Some background: We have been married for 7.5 yrs. We have a 4 year old son. We both work full time and I am currently doing a part time MBA. So things are BUSY around here. We had an arranged marriage after a brief courtship. I always thought 2 fairly level headed people could make a marriage work. We are similar is some ways (same sense of humor etc) but there are a lot of differences. DH is a great musician and I can'tble hold a tune. I sometimes worry that he would have been better off marrying someone who shares his passion. On the other hand I love to read and DH does not.

Coming to the actual problem: For the past few months DH and I have been fighting a lot. I would say at least once a week. And we fight about a variety of things. An example: today we fought about creating an ebay account. More on that later. I think there are some deep underlying issues.
    - We are both type A personalities and it is not easy for us to say sorry. So even small fights become big ones
    - I take time to do things because i am meticulous and DH will just throw stuff in the shelves and as long as the outside counter is clear he thinks everything is good. It drives me nuts to open his closet and see dirty clothes stuffed in there. I am a bit of a control freak. Like I don't want DH to mess with the kitchen - I like to arrange things a certain way and DH always puts the wrong dishes in the wrong shelf. You may think this is not a big deal but I have a bit of OCD - I go back after DH finishes in the kitchen and restack everything. When I am busy I don't have the patience to re-stock everything and I lose it with DH. I have requested DH several times to leave it alone and I will do it but he claims I don't do it in a timely fashion. Some of you might think I am lucky to have a DH who helps but he only does this because he thinks I do a bad job. So if there are dishes in the sink for more than 1 hour after dinner then DH thinks I keep the house badly and he will step in to clean it. Never mind that during that hour I was doing the laundry. So I feel like him cleaning the house is actually a commentary on what a poor housekeeper I am and not him being helpful. So I resent his help.
    - After DS was born I gained some weight and I have not gone back to my pre-preg weight. I know I am not overweight or anything, just not as skinny as I used to be. DH now claims that he is not as attracted to me because of this. At the same time when I dress up nicely he says he find me attractive. But his constant back and forth (I look good- I look bad - I look good ...) is driving me crazy. And I have reached a point where I don't believe him when he says I look good. I think he is just saying it so we can have sex. Its not like I am not trying to lose the weight . I work out every night even when I a dead tired but apparently its very hard to lose weight.
    - I always feel like he keeps me at a distance and this is starting to get frustrating. He never tells me about his difficulties or dreams. Its all business or fun stuff. But I don’t think he trusts me. Classic eg: a few years ago one of his cousins got divorced. This was a close cousin and I know her pretty well. Anyway I didn’t find out about it until one of his aunts mentioned it (several months after the divorce) and when I asked my DH About it he kind of said it was his family thing and none of my business. I felt very hurt. I also came to realize that he has been discussing the whole divorce issue with his parents but never when I was around so they must have made a decision to exclude me from this. What did he say to his parents “don’t tell my wife”? I feel so insulted! So now every time we fight I can’t help but mention that he never shares things with me and this makes him angry. It’s the truth. He claims that guys don’t like to talk about this stuff but he seems plenty happy talking about it with his parents, cousins etc. I don’t want to point this out because it will cause all kinds of other problems but in my heart I think he does not want to share the real stuff with me. He is fine talking about all his ex-girlfriends and how much fun he had before he got married. just none of the real “here is how I feel” stuff.
    - We recently started talking about having our second child and DH immediately started planning how we could have the child at a time that would be convenient for his parent eg: if we have the child in spring his parents can come in the summer as they were here last summer and they like to come every summer. Seriously – he wants to have a child per his parents convenience!! To his credit I told him that I would prefer to have my mother here for the first 6 months and he agreed. But I get mad every time I think about it. There were a lot of problems with his parents when they came after my DS was born and we have had some bad fights (eg: in laws called me lazy because I slept in after staying up with the baby all night).
    Ok – this has become a long (and probably boring) story. I will stop here. What do you think? I know this is not as bad as some of the problem folks have in this forum. But its driving me crazy. Oh and the ebay thing – I wanted to but something on ebay and I asked DH to create an account (he always does this stuff. I am not the most technically qualified person). DH said that I agreed to buy the thing and creating the account was part of the job of buying the thing so I had to do it. I felt like he was trying to divide what I had to do and what he had to do – like we are roommates or something so I told him off. And then just went to the gym for 2 hours and left me with DS (on a freaking holiday). He came back and tried to be nice but I got mad because he was being nice after getting his way (I ended up creating the ebay account) so I refused to patch up and he started shouting. I refused to fight in front of DS which made him angrier and he shouted some more and we haven’t talked all day. So that’s it.

Last edited: May 31, 2011

2. maya69

maya69 Gold IL'ite

Seems to me that it's just little little issues that you are keeping in you mind and then making it big. You have to let go of them then and there or talk it out right away.

eBay issue.... So what's the big deal. You learned how to do it yourself now. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Yeah he pushed you to do it but you are better for it.

Inlaws issue.... So you have issues but that does not mean they can't be part of your life. Your DH has agreed to bring your mom first, so why fret about them coming. No matter what, they will come sometime right. You can't avoid that as they are your DH's parents. Ignore the bad stuff as best as possible.

Weight issue... Why is it hard to believe that a girl can look fabulous when dressed up no matter what weight they are. The right clothes make a difference on anyone..fat or skinny. So believe your DH when he says you look good and be happy he noticed. It is too bad that he is so frank as to say you are unattractive at other times but heck you are the one who carried that baby weight and looks like you might be on your way to going that route again. So tell him another baby means another weight gain.is he ready for that??

Kitchen issue... Why don't you let it go and just thank him for putting away the kitchen stuff. See how that goes for awhile. Or join him and clear the items together. You have to get out of this me vs you tiff that is happening over small issues.

3. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi ATI,

Me and my wife are happily married, we have a reasonably balanced relationship for the past fifteen years, with one thirteen years old son. I am intimate with my wife, as long as every information, concerned personally about me.

But, there are some secrets (dirty secrets) about a few of my very close male friends, (with whom my wife is also well acquinted) and there are some secrets (dirty secrets) about my very close relatives (with whom also my wife is well acquinted). I have so far not shared these 'dirty secrets' about the above said individuals, with her...........because of two important reasons :

1 ) These dirty secrets are NOT CONCERNED about me , directly as well as indirectly. Had I been involved in any of these dirty secrets even remotely, then my wife has ethical and moral rights to know them. Concealing such a secret (in which I am involved) is my unpardonable mistake of omission.

2) My wife knowing these secrets, will certainly jeopardise her positive attitude towards these otherwise good individuals. These individuals have so far been nice to her. So, why should I spoil my wife's opinion / attitude towards them? If I tell these 'dirty secrets' to her, she will develop, negative attitude towards them.........which she will , unknowingly, manifest in her body language, while interacting with them. Certainly, I do not want this to happen ever.

However stupid these two reasons may sound to women..............these are extremely important and totally rational to men..................at least to me.

In my perception, just because, my wife is so intimate with me, she does not have any right to access the 'dirty secrets' about my close friends and my relatives..............All rights she has is......to know every thing about ME only.

I do not find anything wrong, in your husband having concealed the negative information about his cousins to you.

This is what my true feeling is. I do not know whether I am right or not.

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI,
    As for keeping things from each other-I agree with Indianguy...somethings do not involve our spouses and it is a brech of privacy.

As for the cleaning up part-I totally get what you say...my husband and I both came with very strict ideas on how certain things have to be done...I come from a fairly traditional S.Indian family where you don't touch food if you've touched anything else, if you touch footwear, if you touch hair...so invariaby there is a lot of handwashing involved. We both identified certain things we can't give up and other things which were negotiable...and stuck to those. The kitchen and bathroom are my domains-he cleans the rest of the house. We look at as our comfort zones and he comes with his own boundaries. As irritating as they maybe to each other, we both know that we are working on our oddities-it is not a case of "I don't trust you," it is more a case of "Yeah, I'm slightly weird but it is part of who I am...you just have to do this for me and I'll do that for you."

R

5. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Hello ATI

As we grow up we have to become more wise and mature with time. We have to let go lot of things and try to focus on important things like our kids, work, job, savings etc. Your DH didn't tell you about his cousin because he didn't want to change your good impression about his family. If he is helping in household chores let him do his way and you ignore it or explain him nicely that it will be great if you put it this way. Its important to have peace n happiness instead of fighting on small issues. right now you have so much on your plate like your MBA, your job, little kid so ignore some things.

6. sindura16

sindura16 Bronze IL'ite

[QUOTE

But, there are some secrets (dirty secrets) about a few of my very close male friends, (with whom my wife is also well acquinted) and there are some secrets (dirty secrets) about my very close relatives (with whom also my wife is well acquinted). I have so far not shared these 'dirty secrets' about the above said individuals, with her...........because of two important reasons :

1 ) These dirty secrets are NOT CONCERNED about me , directly as well as indirectly. Had I been involved in any of these dirty secrets even remotely, then my wife has ethical and moral rights to know them. Concealing such a secret (in which I am involved) is my unpardonable mistake of omission.

2) My wife knowing these secrets, will certainly jeopardise her positive attitude towards these otherwise good individuals. These individuals have so far been nice to her. So, why should I spoil my wife's opinion / attitude towards them? If I tell these 'dirty secrets' to her, she will develop, negative attitude towards them.........which she will , unknowingly, manifest in her body language, while interacting with them. Certainly, I do not want this to happen ever.

However stupid these two reasons may sound to women..............these are extremely important and totally rational to men..................at least to me.

[/QUOTE]

wonderful thinking..i never thouht about this...i generally tell everything about my friends and my relatives and some times i see my hubby talking very lightly about my friends

7. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

thank you

maya - I took your advice and patched up. We argued a bit more about my stubborness and his short temper and then patched up this morning. The good thing about our fights is that we can laugh about it afterwards. He has already told me to get a trainer after the second child is born so I can control my weight. It just hurts my ego to be told that I am unattractive (I am 5'4 and 123 lbs - not what I would call overweight). With regards to my in laws, I have no objection to them coming it just bugs me that he wants to plan a baby around their vacation calendar. My co-sis refused to let them visit for the 1st year after her second child was born because they caused so many problems with her first pregnancy. I think my husband wants to make sure I don't do the same thing. I won't, even if they deserve it, but still irritates me that their convenience is top priority. Oh well - I suppose he will always be that way. Its a good thing I am not shy to express my opinion!

Indianguy - I see what you are saying and I really appreciate a guy's opinion on this. I tend to tell my husband everything (and I mean everything) and if I don't tell him something I feel like I am scheming against him. I suspect a lot of women think this way - if he does not tell me something he does not trust me. When you don't tell your wife something, is it because you don't want her to think badly of someone? Or is it because you think it is none of her business? Like my husband will not even share the good stuff - abc got married or had a baby. I told him my cousin's 12 grade exam score the day I heard about it! If you wanted your wife to think well of that person, couldn't you say "xyz happened to this person. They are a good person so its sad"? And how do you think your wife will feel if she hears about it from someone else and not you? I was very hurt to find out about the divorce from someone else - some one who assumed my husband would have told me. And then to find out everyone (co-sis, distant cousins) knew and I was the only one out of the loop made me angrier. Sorry for all the questions. I really want to understand this more because it is a big issue between us.

I also worry that because I don't get along with my in laws my husband refuses to share anything about his family with me. Could this be the case? DH acknowledges that ILs treated me badly and he is suprised I am still talking to them (he told me he was fine if I wanted to cut them off after they said some very bad things to me). But they are his parents (which is why I still have a cordial relationship with them). I sometimes wonder if he thinks he is protecting his family from me. Which is so unfair because his family has free reign to bad mouth me. But this divorce thing happened before my ILs started bad mouthing me so there has to be another reason he wants to keep me away from his family. Just thinking out loud (or typing as I think)

Bottom line - I can't make him tell me stuff. I wish I could but I can't. I don't want to be in a situation where I go to a family gathering and find out that there is something going on and people are saying "your dh didn't tell you?" Or we go out with friends and all the other wives know some gossip and I am clueless because their husbands confide in them and mine does not. I have tried explaining this to him but it makes him mad and he gets unreasonable and says things like "guys don't like to talk about stuff".

Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing in which case please help me get over myself. I need to stop fretting about this stuff.

8. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Teacher - I think all men should be required to take a class in cleaning before they get married. I have caught him rinising stuff and putting it in the shelf - while it is dirty and wet!! and I am so obessively clean it almost makes me want to cry. Funny story - my co-sis told me that before we got married DH would throw out dirty clothes and buy new ones to avoid doing laundry.

ProundIndian - I do want to get to peace and happiness. I am just not sure how to get there :-( . I am going to try to pick fewer fights but it is so difficult. Plus if I start backing away from fights DH thinks he can boss me around and that is a no no for me.

Sindura - I know what you mean about my DH teasing me about my friends and family. I am okay with it though because it is in no way different from what I would do with my parents or brother.

Thanks

9. Mom2499

Mom2499 Senior IL'ite

ATI, I understand your struggle but please overlook these small things that rob your peace of mind and kill unity in your Marriage. Try to pick your battles in life. Show unconditional love to your spouse then he probably will also stop picking on you. Good Luck :thumbsup

10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

I had to reply:) Unless you are in the syndromatic side, most people don't get it:rotfl

Having said that, see if you can get some help with it-for you to recognize when things go too far and put a break on it, and for him to understand that you are not doing it on purpose and why it is important that he follow certain patterns at home. It has to come from both of you-otherwise it just festers.
    R