1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Cried!And That Too On Seeing A TV Show! Varalotti In The US 8

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 3, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Veda,

I now feel that I have taken a sweet revenge on you. For when you wrote your award-winning post and Shanti replied for that, it was I who was crying shamelessly before my laptop. Now I have returned the favour. All in all, it feels so good after such a crying. Isn't it?

To be a Bill Gates and donate billions for research on Malaria is surely a sign of human love. But being Momi and sharing what little she has with her fellow beings, is a much surer and a much brighter sign of human love.

Momi, the TV show-host said, drew the largest number of volunteers, 3000 in all. The TV company hosted a dinner for all of them and even arranged for a typical Hawaii Entertainment programme.

You know Veda, another touching scene which made me sob was this. Momi and her family were holidaying in a Hilton hotel faraway. Work was about to start. Three thousand volunteers- enthusiastic volunteers- had gathered on the site. The TV anchor then linked upto Momi's hotel. And with a web camera he showed to Momi and family how many people had gathered to work for her. When that good lady saw a crowd of 3000 volunteers, she burst out sobbing. She held her husband tight and was crying. If God is not there in her tears, I am sure She cannot be anywhere else in this Universe.

Thanks, Veda
    regards,

2. varalotti

Dear Varloo,
    Thanks. When you cry reading this, that means only one thing. That you are a nice person.
    God knows how to deal with Her creatures. She is the one who is capable of giving DS babies as well as 3 million dollar buildings just for free. She can give bumper harvests and the worst famine. She can make us rich, poor, sad, happy, mean, large-hearted, whatever. And whatever She gives it is a blessing. For, from God, nothing but blessings can come forth.

Thinking about your husband's remarks, I am reminded of a scene in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. The hero is a black man, Sydney Poitere. When he falls in love with a white girl, the heros father would shout at him. "I did so much for you. I was a mailman (postman) and I walked 40000 miles during my career to put you through school and college. And now you are doing...."
    The son would cut him short and reply, "You could have walked a million miles. Who cares? I am your son and you are my father. It is your duty to bring me up, give me good education. I will do the same thing to my son. ..."

Thanks Varloo. Yes the mallu movie scene was really touching.
    regards,

3. varalotti

Thanks Gayathri.Yes Americans are the ones who volunteer the most. And they want to give whatever they have, if they sense a need in the other person.

But when Americans choose to be bad, they are bad in the worst possible way. Maybe God created extremes in this country to make us aware of how far up human beings can go, and how farther down can he descend.

I don't think Sun or Raj will like to do a show like that. They would love a simple show shot on a setting at a Chennai home, writing dialogues for a mil-dil fight.

regards,

4. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Varalotti

Well I saw this episode too and i liked it, cos this one was very deserving and also they were helping someone who had a good cause they also made some community centre.

But personally and frankly speaking, this show "extreme makeover" sometimes just get ridiculously extravagant... they make such lavish homes for such poor people (who work 2 jobs to make ends meet and someitmes there is no income at all) and they even pay off their mortgages for them... great, fantastic, very touching, emotional and generous.... Alrite, all said and done, i really wonder with their meagre incomes... can those people really maintain those kinda houses and lifestyle later on... I mean provide for them give them what they need, probably provide them with the money for children's further education... but dont just start pouring money like that excuse me... what they do for one family or what they spend on one family... they could turn the fortunes of so many more families with that money...

I'm sorry if I have hurt someone's emotions here... But i just wrote what I felt...

and talking abt indian channels doing such shows... I think nobody has got so much resources and in India they will not get any sponsors to flow money like water...

~Abha

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  5. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Abha has brought up a valid point - being the accountant that I am, my first thought when this show aired was - ok, who is going to pay the utilities, the real estate taxes, etc, etc - that is going to be quite high! It is heartening to watch these people get stuff that they can only dream of - but then comes the upkeep of the place - I wonder if they have done any updates on previous recipients of the show to see how they are managing??

6. varalotti

Thanks a lot, Abha and Shobana, for bringing in the other side. While we (including many men in the site) were busy wiping our tears, you people were thinking ahead, of the future of these fortunate donees.

Right now I have an idea for another reality show. Follow up the lives of people who got gifts on the Extreme Makeover. To find out how are they doing after one year, after two years etc. That would be an eye-opener for many.

Now let's handle this issue pragmatically. This time ladies, I assure you I will don the cloak of an accountant and shed of the pink color shirt of a romantic writer.

Now we have decided to gift a gift to these deserving people. And we have also decided that the gift has to be pretty large. Agreed?

One easy way would be to give them 3 million dollars in cash. But you two will agree that there is no better way to spoil the family. I have known many who won millions in lottery back in India. They spend the money unwisely; or lose it pretty soon, thanks to their unscrupulous friends and relatives and are back into square one (some even go to square 0) earlier than you expect.

But when you gift them a house, such a thing does not happen. Take the case of the Akanas. Now these people own properties worth about 3 million dollars. The community center does not belong to them. So let's count it out. They have a house, mortgage-free, worth about a million and a half. If they can manage paying the real estate taxes and other levies with whatever they are doing now, it's just fine.

Otherwise they will do well to consult a good accountant. Someone who is as bright and brilliant as our Shobana. The Accountant will say that they can raise close to a million in loan from the house. They can think of a new business idea.

If nothing works, they can sell the house, invest the money in good mutual funds and enjoy a hassle-free life.

There are definitely risks and worries. But ladies, let those worries not diminish the value of the gift. At least not the sincerity of the love shown towards such people.

I am open to discussion on this.
    Thanks Abha and Shobana for bringing the other side to light.
    regards,

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hello Sridhar,

Back again. This thread is turning interesting. I do agree with Shoba and Abha's view, but then I have to say that I agree with yours too. More so , the love that was shown on this family is what moved me and you and others too I think. If Momi family is a smart one, then they will take the correct steps to preserve and build on the wealth they have received. If not, then thats their misfortune.

Its a good idea to try and follow up on other recepients too. I think more than the gift itself, its the thought and the love that was showered on this family that counts.
    We need to treat this program like "chicken soup for the soul" and not get into the nitty gritties.

Vandhana

8. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Thanks Varalotti Sir, to answer your question the amount of time I get online I won’t get to visit all the forums. This particular thread caught my eye when it was in new threads column. I am glad I could see and read. ordinary person like me can't do much apart from applauding momi's efforts in helping others in her own way not many people do like that Though they have lot money also. need very big heart I think. and appreciating the sponsors to reward her and make her happy in their own way..
    Thanks again to bringing this to us
    Tulasi

9. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Check the following link for response by DKD.
    Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Lessons, Pay Taxes On Your Winnings! » Money and Personal Finance Blog In Silicon Valley
    I remember reading something similar to this before, but am not able to get to a much better link.This response shows that the show takes care to minimize if not eliminate the burden. If ABC really takes cares of all the tax nuances, kudos to them. Above all, if nothing works, they have a great property which can be sold and used to solve all their financial problems...!

I guess I do not agree that sponsorsip money does not flow in India. The money paid to cricketers and celebrities for endorsements prove otherwise. Also, TV channels are able to run programs with crores worth of prize money. So, such philanthropic shows generating revenue, viewership and in the process helping needy should be possible too...

-Gayathri.

10. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    That was a real touchy one! As you rightly said, we all can try to bring a change atleast in one person's life. That would go to make a great difference for both.Thanks for sharing with us.
    Regards