1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I can write a new thread but never know what tittle to give

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jan 17, 2011.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Giving tittles is a difficult task for me. If anyone can give the tittle for this post I will be very happy

Faith makes all things possible, hope makes all things work, love makes all things beautiful. I had all these three thoughts in my life.

My childhood and teenage days were so memorable. If I just sit back and think of those lovely days I feel hope those days come back again.

When I was six years old my grandmother took me to Pune where my mama and mami were staying. Six months I was with them. I dont remember much about those days . My mama used to say that I never used to talk much and it was difficult to bring one word out from me. It seems he used to take me everywhere in his cycle. Those days only cycles were there in Pune and everyone used to make use of the cycle.

Then we came to Bombay where I started my school days. That time my father lost his hotel in Chennai so he joined his uncle's hotel. Those were memorable days with my father's uncle and his children. We were staying in a big colony and everyday I used to go to play in the evenings with my friends. Holi was celebrated in a big scale. Everyone used to play holi and they never used to leave anyone without throwing colours on them. Then in the end they used to pour water on everyone. Evening they used to have a party in the colony. Ah those lovely and innocent days.

After my father's uncle lost his hotel also we shifted from there and stayed separately. My father got a job in a Canteen and used to get us yummy jilebis etc. My father was expert in making Jilebis and he used to be called as Jilebi Krishna Iyer

My school days were very enjoyable. I had good friends and also a best friend with whom I used to study and go by car to school. Those days I was very fond of going to movies and hearing music especially wait to here BinacaGeetmala and Amin Sayani's voice . The yearly programme used to be vey good in Binaca Geetmala because we could here all the best songs of the year. After I used to come back from School and do homework I used to put on the Radio listening to music I used to do the homework. One of my cousins used to tell others she is a dictionary , if you want to know which song from which movie she will tell you immediately. Our parents never used to send for movies and I used to be jealous when my brothers used to go for movies as they were grown up and responsble. So I used to wait for my aunty to come home as she used to take us for movies. She had got married at the age of 18 yrs but lost her husband in a year but she was a very jolly type. Used to buy us the latest in everything. My uncle who was in Pune used to come once in a year and we used to be very happy when uncle and aunty came. My aunty would bring the latest sarees for us and also allow us to wear her sarees. That time I used to think when I start working I should buy many sarees so that in a month everyday I can wear different sarees. This dream was not fulfilled before marriage but after marriage after my kids were born got fulfilled. I used to wear different sarees everyday and there were many admirers. Now also I have many sarees but able to wear only on occasions. Dont have patience to wear those sarees while going to market or shopping.

Whenever I think of those days I forget everything and go into that world . Those days we never had so many channels like now. Mostly used to watch marathi serials and movies. We did not have TV only in the beginning , sometimes used to go and watch in neighbours house, later when children grew up only we brought a TV.

2. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Viji ma,

Great in a nutshell you have travelled the past time you have spent and how each event was memorable one.
    As per your request- I suggest the title as " The Road travelled by me" inspired by Robert Browing poem " The Road less travelled by me"

I hope you like it.
    Thanks for sharing these sweet memories with us time and again

3. sublakshmi

sublakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Viji mami,

Nice post. It was really nice to read about yr childhood. I visualised a happy little girl. I pray almighty that he grants happiness and good health to you and ur family.

Neengal ungal manathil thondruvathai appadiye eludhividukirirkal, adhai pattikarudu anandama erukku.

Have a nice day.
    sublakshmi

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear vijima,

nice write up. it was a sweet journey into the past. one title that comes to mind is "a journey into the past", " memories of good times", "the past revisited" ....

if i may ask - reading that your uncle was in pune, i was curious whether he lived in rasta peth, and was a lawyer? because there was a mama who was well known there for doing the kind of social activities which had mentioned in an earlier post like arranging for funerals for people in need of help etc. if so, i suspect my dad knew him. and if so, i must say, it's a small, small world. i hope i am not breaking any forum etiquette. if i am, please feel free to tell me so and i shall immediately delete this bit.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  5. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

How people in those days were content with so little! The title can be - "Enjoying what you have"

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Nitya dear thank you very much for your first fb and the tittle. I wanted to change the tittle yesterday but forgot about it. I liked the tittle.

Glad you liked the post

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sublakshmi dear glad to know that you liked the post. Thanks for your good wishes and compliments.

sublakshmi[/QUOTE]

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi

Thanks for the tittles. My uncle is not the one you are talking about. Arranging for funerals my dh is doing in Bombay. They have a samithi where all senior citizens are there

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Raji dear thanks for your fb and for the tittle

10. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

"Pokkishangal""

Simply loved your post dear ma.... you really had wonderful childhood growing with relatives.. and I can see how affectionate your mama, mami were on you.... :)