1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Ate A Lollipop Today!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Feb 13, 2008.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Bow
    Hey! What’s that smile all about? I meant what I said: I ate a lollipop! Sucked at it for ten minutes before crunching it between my teeth… The lemony flavour still lingers in my mouth… I am happy…as happy as a toddler who’s had a lollipop!

:coffeeNow you must be wondering why in the wide world should a forty plus female announce to the world if she did something so juvenile…or let us say, so childish as sucking a lollipop! That’s exactly why!

For a week, I had been disappointing my neighbour’s son by not replenishing my stock of biscuits and other goodies… Whenever he enters my home, he toddles into the kitchen with “Chiss!”… He means chips… I’ll give him a couple of banana chips and he’ll wander off happily. He also loves biscuits… What with the shoulder pain and gum inflammation, my trips to the market became rare and I was clean out of goodies for the little one. So when Bala, the BIL, called from Choithram’s and asked if I wanted something, I said, “Get some biscuits for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Krishna</st1:place>.” He did. In fact, he brought varieties of them…and one packet of fruity lollies.

So… yesterday, when the little one pointed at my cupboard and said, Chiss, I gave him a lollipop instead. It was the first lollipop of his 34 month old life! And it was a treat to watch him. As he took his first lick, his face blossomed like a flower… He looked at the lollipop with awe that only babes can display… and with an eager look put it in his mouth and swished it inside…Then he blissfully took out the drippy, sticky lolly and said “Aayi…!’ And thrust it into his mother’s mouth… The mother was enthusiastically enjoying it when the toddler realized his folly and pulled it out…! And I laughed aloud! ‘I love lollipops, but after the kids came, I have not eaten one!’ she said… and I immediately offered her one which she happily accepted.:drool

This morning, with nothing better to do, :rolleyes:I started pondering on the lollipop thing! Why had I been surprised when she said, she loved lollies? Why did she seem a little on the defensive, when she said she loved them? Isn’t it a sad truth that as we grow older, we refrain from doing things which we really enjoy… with the whole of our being? Just because we are adults should we not enjoy the little things in life? Like eating cotton candy? Or sliding down a slide in a park? Or paddling in ankle deep water? Or watch Tom and Jerry and guffaw from the bottom of your heart? Like enjoying a lollipop?

Why are we conscious of ourselves once we become adults? Why do we care for or fear about what the world will think if we indulge in such harmless pursuits…? Where are the laws that ban an adult from being childlike? I repeat ‘childlike’ and not childish! The two are similar as chalk and cheese! My 2cents

So just to get a feel of that childlike enthusiasm, I took out a lollipop and popped it into my mouth. Ten minutes and a pair of sticky lips later… I decidedly felt better… See… I even started writing my blogs…:hiya

2. Meenaneelakantan

Meenaneelakantan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Twinsmom

Bow..I went in search of a lollipop in my hand bag after reading your last line..But was able to find only a nutrine eclairs.. So comes my fb instead of a blog..:)

Love
    Meena

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello viju

waahhh waahh
    i want a lolli pop too..
    (childish or child like?)
    those rounda rounda
    licks
    those colourful tasty
    sticks
    the kamartkats
    came that way too
    sharing a bite(or lick?)
    was so yummy...!
    to market
    to market
    to buy lolli licks
    oops sticks

sathya

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear twinsmom,

To be very honest, I love lollipops. I do eat it sometimes when I buy for my dd.
    I also sit with them and enjoy tom & jerry (my favourite cartoon) a lot. We discuss on the same also.

Seeing your blog I felt like I should do that more often. Thanx for reminding us.

5. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Yummy Yumm... the flavours of lollies always linger long on the taste buds. I always enjoy a good lolly with both my daughters any time of the day, any time of the night too!!! Simple things in life give one the greatest pleasures...

cheers Jay.

6. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    I guess there is a little kid inside all of us... and I am happy, a mere lolly has helped bring it out... at least nostalgically.

7. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

What a coincidence. For some reason I was thinking of a lollipop today from my childhood. And now, I am reading this post. Don't get them now. But it was red lollipop and I remember it to be delicious.

8. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Twinsmom
    Enjoyed your writeup.It was alick smacking one.........................I think the kids these days do not enjoy it like we do and era of chocolates ,lays chips ,kurkure ,cheese balls have taken over..............

9. Girlfriend

Girlfriend New IL'ite

Dear Twinsmom

Again a nicely written article. You are right. there is a child within all of us. And, I struggle to keep that child alive.

During my last trip to India in December, I ask my father to buy me all the cream biscuits that he used to buy me when I was a kid.

Not only me, but my brother and sister and their spouse enjoyed eating them and, of course, fighting for the lucky last one!!!

Cheers
    Parul

10. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi viju,

i loved the piece. Witty and thoughtful . Real cute.
    Thanks for the fantastic read.

love

aqua