1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

I am over 25, should I drink?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Jun 19, 2011.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

Drinking has become the pet topic all around.
    The topic regarding the legal age for drinking is hogging the limelight in all the newspapers and Media. Yesterday, I saw an hour long panel discussion in Times Now and Headlines Today condemning the logic behind the rule of over 25 years for drinking. Many argued that a citizen of India can elect and decide who is the next PM of India at the age of 21, but why can’t he drink at that age? Is he not mature enough?
    Thank God, I am over 25!
    Even Actor Imran Khan has suddenly joined the youth in protest against this rule.
    I remember the days when my father used to drink and come home from office during my school days. I would bury my head in shame when anybody talked about this. It is not as if my father was a heavy drinker. He drank occasionally, but it was those days when Drinking was a Social evil and people used to look down if they find some one having a drink.
    I could not imagine my college friends having a drink.
    Thank God, we are living in a far more liberal era, post 1991, where parents even take along children and share drinks with them. I was brought up in a boring era where Drinking was considered to be a Social evil.
    It comes to me as a culture shock when I happen to go to Family Bar-cum-restaurants (there are more of such bars only nowadays) and see families getting together to share a drink, even with small kids in hand.
    This kept me away from drinking. Now, I find that times have changed. People have become more mature and even Media is endorsing that Drinking is fine.
    Why not lower the drinking age to 18?
    I have seen families getting destroyed due to this drinking habit. As far as drinking being a social evil or not is concerned, I would like to ask only one question, would parents really like their children to drink or smoke?
    Do you really believe that drinking within permissible limits is actually healthy?
    Who will set these limits?
    Doesn’t this require a sustained campaign by good thinking individuals for weaning the youth away from drinking or smoking rather than setting absurd rules.
    Or should I say, that drinking is legal over 25, so should I drink?
    Give me an answer, so that I can decide.

2. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

> Give me an answer, so that I can decide.

Are you trying to decide for yourself? If so, my advice is "if you haven't started, don't".

I was brought up in even more boring times than you, in even more boring Chennai. When I was growing up, there probably were about 4 "oyin" shops in the whole of Chennai. If a bus route went near one of them, people in the bus would point to it and we would all try to take a peek.

> drink or smoke
    > Do you really believe that drinking within permissible limits is actually healthy?

Smoking has no health benefits. Drinking has some cardiac benefits. The health damage (y-axis) versus amount of alcohol consumed (x-axis) is a J shaped curve. The least damage is not at zero alcohol but at a small amount. After that the damage increases sharply -- the vertical part of the J. There are arguments that even these benefits are due to the grapes and not the alcohol.

I teetotal and do not allow anyone to drink in my house. Once in a while, someone gives us a bottle of wine for Christmas and I don't know what to do with it -- this happened last year. If this happens again, I am going to give it to a neighbor.

3. sureshmiyer

thanks for your detailed comments and advise

we may have lived in boring but better times :)

cheers
    suresh

4. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

You are welcome.

Here are some details on alcohol's pluses and minuses.

If you want to party, eat kara boondhi as I do :)
    -------------------------------------------------
    A Tamil man in our town died about 3 months ago due to alcohol related problems. He was off from work for about 6 months. He never would admit alcohol was the problem -- it was always something else: work pressures, pollution in the air, etc. He would always be drinking, saying "sura banam, sura banam" and would get angry if I refuse his offer of alcohol.

His American wife put up with him patiently. My wife would have thrown me out a long time ago if I did a similar thing. Heck, she is threatening to throw me out even without the alcohol, just for leaving my physics books out all over the house :) [This is a joke.]

5. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Suresh,

A very good topic you have chosen. Is it so necessary that an humanbeing should drink and smoke. Are we living in such a cool minus degree temperature climate
    Even foreigners are consuming very lightly. For drinking and smoking we are telling so many reasons stating that
    i have got this problem that problem i want to forget
    We are not foregetting ourselves rather we are forgetting our VALUABLE LIFE and dig pit for our death.
    If you did not fall into this area please do not do. This is my sincere advise.

6. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Anyday, I will not go for it Suresh, be it even the beer. People may talk about how good it is to your heart and may cite being "social". Its sad to pay for destroying yourself. And Sojourner, just a small thing - drunkards do not prefer teetotallers and often complain that these people wipe off their side-dishes [my own experience]. -rgs

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

It is commendable that even though your father was drinking you had not fallen prey to that habit.
    My hubby's friends had tried to force him to smoking and drinking, but he never yielded to them. He used to accompany central excise people to the club when he was at Tata Motors and he used to enjoy his cashews and soft drinks while they enjoyed their drinks and other things which I do not want to mention.If they asked him why he was not giving them company, he used to say at least one person should be in his senses to dump them all at their houses.
    When people are happy they want to throw a drink party. When they are sad they want to drink to forget their sorrows.
    Can't people socialize without drinks?
    PS

8. sureshmiyer

thanks for your comments

"Can't people socialize without drinks?"
    Good question! people can enjoy more without drinks

cheers
    suresh

P.S.

do read my short story "The Missing Train"

9. sureshmiyer