1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I am not a superwoman!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mcutiepie, Oct 14, 2015.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@guesshoo

I fail to understand certain points from this post. May be your reply would help not only me, but also the OP in the bigger picture.

Spending time with LO is utmost priority for a mom - there is no doubt.
    But spending time at the cost of certain important chores at home; hence misunderstanding, messy home, complaints and heart-breaks is something different.

I feel, OP needs to priorities her tasks accordingly.

She is the woman of the house. She has certain responsibilities that are assigned to any Indian woman by default. Since she is working, she can hire for help, expect her husband to support, count on MIL's services etc..etc...
    But she can't escape from certain responsibilities at home.

Just like a man can't escape his role as a Dad or husband with responsibilities citing spending time with kid.

Eg: If my husband refuses to do the grocery shopping or bills on time saying he is spending time with the kids (as kids are his first priority), I would obviously get pissed off. Coz, his delay or lack of dedication towards the house would lead to so much messy days to all.
    Rather I would expect him to balance. Prioritize the works, and do it on the right time.

Likewise, my role at home is cooking dinner for example. Everyone would expect this from me.
    If I am to play with my kids during that time, I should make alternate arrangements such as ordering food, or asking husband to cook etc... But I can't do this all the time.
    At the end of the day, I should take care of my responsibilities at home in addition to my mommy role.

If OP sincerely work hard at home, then she must refuse to accept any taunts, rather concentrate on what and how to manage her home.

sindmani and deeprapriya like this.
  2. mcutiepie

mcutiepie Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks for your valuable inputs here but I think many of matters are misunderstood here..

1) I never expect my MIL to asleep nights and take care of my baby.. and even I always want to do this. Point here is for example: my mil said you guys sleep, I will take care and if in return I say that no mummy u sleep, I will take care and bring him to my room.. then this becomes an issue too that I am too possesive for him... so I stopped this. But then my husband shows so much of gratitude to her.. I understood reason is simple that she is doing that extra favor and I have to listen either ways, so I shall choose what I feels is better...

2) I am not running away from household or its not that i m not doing my due household responsibilities... Like I cook in morning, veggies for everyone, packs mine n hubby's lunch, prepare our breakfast... prepare something for my kid (for the day), do some other stuff like sterlizing his feeding bottles, sippers and some other stuffs...

In the evening too, once I come back, I give some fruits to my kid, then take him out as my MIL cant and here also i dont expect... then once I come back, i prepare dinner for my baby and feed him as no one else takes this up... then I cook chappatis for all and serve dinner.. post this, I amke my baby sleeps and by this time is already 10:30...

So, from 6 in the morning, my day is fully packed... and if she is home and monitoring maids ... I have also asked that I am ready to leave job.... my hubby and MIL both dont want me to leave job.. majorly to avoid more issues if both me and MIL are home..

Thanks every one for your suggestions...

3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Things fall in place SGBV. Your husband cooperates. OP's does not. OP is not shirking her responsibilities. She is trying to make up for others' slack. That doesn't help. Her self worth and self esteem are being crushed here. While time management etc are important. I'm certain she has her ways and means of doing it since she is been making it work for so long . she is at the end of her tether now. So she needs to pick her self worth up with some attitude and start pushing back. Only then we others start participating in helping wih the household. Once an equilibrium has been established, chores can be split up. I don't believe because she is an Indian woman she has to succumb and keep working on making herself better whole the rest of the household won't pick up their slack.

If the house is messy and a couple of meals aren't cooked to perfection it is OK. People have to learn their lessons and stop taking advantage of op who is already working like a horse.

sindmani, anahita5, mcutiepie and 4 others like this.
  4. docathome

docathome Gold IL'ite

@guesshoo really liked your post..

@cutiepie you need to realise that irrespective of how much you bend backwards n walk on your head ur MIL is not gonna praise ur homemaking skills cos, if she is like most MIL's, she is too busy trying to win her sons heart displaying her home making skills and putting down yours.. So its not really bout ur competence but her insecurity..
    And as usual ur husband is getting the benefit.. So instead of trying to prove urself, treat urself with respect.. Do what u can and offer a maid for the rest of the chores like u would do if ur MIL wasn't around. If she doesn't want it and anyone tries to talk bout her difficulties in housework keep repeating that 'there is no need for her to strain herself, a maid couldve done it just as well'. Don't try to become superwoman.. It's not worth it and the expectations never end.. And pls implement @yellowmango's suggestion reg ur husband.. He's the one who needs to prove himself, if at all! All the best..

4 people like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Of course your MIL is doing a favor. A working woman needs good sleep to stay fresh and productive at office the next day. MIL is helping you to sleep, and her support is an extra favor in addition to looking after your kids during day time. So, join your husband to recognize this, and appreciate this. Elders lack self confidence as they age, and feel insecure at their children's place. Such complements help to grow a positive relationship with them.

There are so much to do in a house. Specially if there is no full time maid then someone has to do the rest of the chores. Such as laundry, folding the cloths, sweeping, moping the floor, bathing the kid, etc..etc... in addition to look after a kid.
    Taking care of a child itself a full time job. In your case, there is a maid only for the dishes.
    If so, who is doing the rest of the chores?
    If it is MIL, then for sure she is over worked. In addition to what she is doing at day and night with the child.
    If it is no one, then for sure your house is very messy. Not clean and tidy obviously.

In both ways, it is clear your husband expects more from you.

I don't tell you to do everything and fall sick the next day. But plan your works accordingly.

Spending time with a child is utmost important, but not at the cost of other chores, which are important too.

If you can't do the chores, then don't leave the house messy. Rather delegate some works to H, FIL and maid.
    Hire a second maid, who can share the chores with you.

By proper planning, you can do so much within the same time that you spend for the chores already.
    Ask husband to pitch in... If he can't cook, at least make him do certain stuff that he enjoys. Eg: Taking child to a park not necessarily done by a mom. A dad could do the same.
    In the mean time, you can cook some nutritious and tasty food for the child and family. Which would be appreciated by all.
    Also alternatively you can take the kid to park and buy a dinner from outside.

You are working.. Working a lot at home. But there are some tasks still to be done. That's where they make you wrong.

Don't give in. Have confidence in you.
    Make your husband do some works. If he complains, at least he should do.
    But to get him, you should have a plan. A way to get his help.

Good luck. I hope you find peace with your family soon.

6. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

u r soo me!!! im also facing all these probs... even my mil has fed my h that i getup dress up myself n according t her i spend more time in front of mirror..and leave to ofc.. my h constantly accuses me that his mom only does all work n i simply go to ofc..he says that without his mom i cant manage..

7. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

heyyyy... u r lucky..frm ur post its seen that u take care of kitchen stuff alone and rest all is done by H!!! gr8888

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

So start doing that. Give your mil a big hug on the way out saying, "so sweet if you to do everything ma. Really appreciate it." And enjoy your day.

If anyone accuses me unjustly of something, I ramp up doing what they accuse me of. Once they realise that talking ill about me inconveniences them they straighten out.

4 people like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Doesn't the husband also live in the house and realize the above himself? He has eyes?

It is not clear if her husband expects more from her before or after he does more from him.

If delegation was so easy to start, implement and sustain, would OP even be posting here? In a household where the woman after putting in the day she has described is being scolded by husband, she is expected to 'delegate'?

"Delegate household work to FIL"? SGBV, how aware or unaware of Indian family life are you? In my parents' house and in my in-laws' house, a DIL would be out of her mind if she assigned a household task to FIL and followed up about its completion. FIL might himself do something everyday such as help in kid's homework, or take to park, but it would be very unusual for DIL to have the authority to assign him a task and expect him to do it daily.

How about a little bit of planning by the husband in the household that has a working couple and young child?

Seriously? Identify husband's skills and give him those tasks? Give him tasks that he enjoys? Really SGBV, this response surprises me. The husband is an adult who is the father of a young child, and in a household where both are working. He is not a clueless intern who needs to be managed and assigned appropriate tasks that he "enjoys".

As many women will agree, it is not the actual tasks, but the planning, identifying the to-do's, that takes more effort. Having to do that at such micro-level with husband almost negates the 'help' he is providing.

Husband knows she is working. Working her ass off. He knows that kid's primary care at night and overall is mom's. He can very well identify the 'some tasks still to be done' and do them without being managed.

Totally disagreeing. A working woman, in India with all its issues such as traffic, commute, unreliable service, lack of reliable daycare, juggling motherhood and job, should not have to put so much thought and effort into getting "husband's help". She should not need a "plan" to "get his help."

And, for a working woman, time at home and with child is so much at premium, that actually almost no chore is more important than spending time with child.

The woman is being advised and expected to manage people, her time, their time, identify their abilities, preferences, at home like she manages people at work.

7 people like this.
  10. mcutiepie

mcutiepie Gold IL'ite

@SGBV: I again disagree here for many things:

I should take a lead and delegate tasks. If that would have been the case, my life would have been easy.. and you mentioned chores are to be done.. yes i know those to be done.. but with job I will do all those according to my plan, my time boundations... and it is not that I have no experiance of managing home... prior me and my husband were living alone.. and I have managed properly.. also during my ML, i used to do a lot.. But she wants to take control of everything and then pretend I am doing this and that.. I many times asked her to lets wash clothes on weekends but still she does that on Mon and Fri. This is not my fault. Problem here is we both are hard working.. but she takes advantage of mine being working.. do thing x, and pretends like 2x...

Even if it is about doing extra, i give you one example, my MIL was not giving healthy things to my son, so i started cooking two dishes in the morning before I leave.. and for that she made a big issue that cant she cook and feed.. what do i want to show etc etc... By time, I have learnt that MILs also need to adapt and learn few things that if her DIL is working same as her son.. then atleast if not 100%.. she also need to have some relaxations...

After so many efforts now we have maid for house cleaning, kitchen cleaning, dusting and clothes washing.

In short I have learnt she will crib anyways except if I am doing everything after asking her and as per her wish.. So i have to deal with it... as I cannt be so obedient to her because I have a nature that I cannt expect wrong things.. for example: if she is not giving healthy food to my son, I cannot let it be..

Even for long run, I am planning to change my career path to have a better work life balance.

2 people like this.