1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I am hoping for a happy day tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by snapfish, Dec 4, 2012.

1. snapfish

snapfish New IL'ite

I am so happy my inlaws are leaving tomorrow morning. And I hate myself for thinking so. I don't know when / how our relationship has degraded to this level. but YAY!! I can't stop smiling..

tomorrow, I am going to rearrange the kitchen and the pooja room..... I am going to watch anything I want in the TV, I am going to cook whatever I want and eat to my hearts' content. I am going to play with my little gal and feel at home in my own home finally!

do any of you feel like your house is taken over when you MIL "visits" for a longish time? -

3 people like this.

2. aries1204

aries1204 Silver IL'ite

Actually,

I felt exactly the same way when my inlwas left after staying for 5 months. They were not really that interfering but still..i am like wow..i dont have to be thinking twice before I talk + catch up on my own TV shows + cook diff food

But but...when I go shopping or outing with my friends I wonder if my MIL is thinking the same thing. That she is free to talk to her Son and move stuff over at home without her DIL observing her all the time.
    I wonder if she feels like everything is back to being before her Son was married and this thought makes me sad that she is not ready to accept me ever after 4 yrs of marriage...Not sure.. but I think she may be thinking the same thing :)

I think the feeling goes both the ways !!! .Not sure how our husbands feel he he..may be they are confused as usual

4 people like this.
  3. lukywife

lukywife Gold IL'ite

Its your house..You should not let anyone control.why are you letting someone control and feeling happy now?

4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

LOL!!! aries, I appreciate your honesty and the ability to see the other person's perspective too :)

Well, when my darling DS8 goes to sleep, there are times I feel good because I can watch on TV, whatever I want without worrying about whether it is too violent/mature for him... so does that count ???

Nothing wrong snapfish, enjoy the freedom :)

5. makeuplover

makeuplover Silver IL'ite

Yes Snapfish, I too feel the same. My mil is a TV addict so I never get to watch tv, she gives the tv remote only to her son! She's not a bad MIL anyways but she thinks that she only can handle things perfectly. She wants me to take care of my baby in her way whereas I have my own ways which I feel is correct acordding to the times we live in. I am a working mother and sometimes I won't be able to be at home every now and then when my baby has a cold or slight fever. My husband says since his parents have come to stay I need not take leave they will take care. But my mil keeps on showing her anger and gives me taunts that I dont take care of my baby properly and if work is important then send her to her place which is like 26 hrs journey from our place! I reallly hate that. Otherwise she's a respectable woman but she's a MIL after all. Luckily I dont have sis-in-laws!

6. Applemoon

Applemoon Silver IL'ite

Snapfish,

I know how you feel.. U feel wooooooooooooooow!! right??

I know how much that freedom means... I had that kind of freedom when we were abroad for almost 2 yrs..no interference..no comments.. no taunts...we can cook what we like...watch TV..do whatever we want.. but now back to India and I am missing that....

7. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

that is a great time, that every DIL expects.
    We can enjoy each and every single minutes without any interference. Not only watching TV, cooking, cleaning and without doing anything we can enjoy.

8. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Ooppss r u talking about my MIL. She is glued to TV almost till she sleeps (she sleeps late & gets up late) & hands the remote only to her DS. Even if I am watching something she will come sit next to me & change the channel...as if its her birth right....
    & my DS stays in creshe through the day & whenever I am around him she wants to take care of him her way.....

Anyway yes even I feel that freedom to arrange things as I want when she goes to native....may be for a week or so once in 3-4 months... :(

9. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

I understand how it feels when we feel like stranger in our own home.

When my ILs were with us for 6 months, they took good care of my DD and MIL will cook all meals. (actually they never liked whatever I cooked and they are picky eaters)

But they would never talk to me, it was as if I am some unwelcome guest in my own house. They will answer in monosyllables to my questions. Anytime I enter the room, they will stop talking to their son abruptly. The worse was I used to ask them how much milk DD had and about her naps when I come back from work (I was pumping milk at work and so had to know quantity to pump next day). After a week, they got offended with me asking it, they started writing it down and leaving it on table, for me to read it, instead of asking them.

Snapfish, enjoi your freedom!

10. DivyaBharati

DivyaBharati Silver IL'ite

Even I was the most happiest person the day they would leave the house, that happiness is soo different and it's million dollar worth ...