I am 5 weeks pregnant now. Height is 157 cm and weight is 61 kg. Can I exercise now??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by cutiepie66, Nov 15, 2013.

1. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

What kind of exercise I can do? People at home are asking me not to go even for walking. Please suggest. Thanks

2. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

Re: I am 5 weeks pregnant now. Height is 157 cm and weight is 61 kg. Can I exercise n

Why you want to exercise now? Till 12 weeks you should be extremely careful..Consult your OB

3. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Re: I am 5 weeks pregnant now. Height is 157 cm and weight is 61 kg. Can I exercise n

At 5 week you should be very careful. But you had already been doing some sort of excercise / walking routinely before you concieved then you may continue that at a slower pace..
    Having said that...why dont you wait till your first appointment to make sure everything is fine before you presume that.
    take care

1 person likes this.
  4. NewlyWifed

NewlyWifed Silver IL'ite

i think it is ridiculous that one cant exercise bebcause one has a baby the size of a sesame seed...has all your running or lifting weights popped any other part of your body all your life? then why would some miild exercide do that to that tiny little person in your belly who is already well protected naturally with your body tissues? I dont think there is any need to stop carrying on with your daily routine whatsoever...as long as you are not aiming to get to size 0 by the end of this month, you are absolutely fine

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. vidu24

vidu24 Silver IL'ite

I would suggest to take it easy for first three mnths. If u have proper person to guide u through the exercise u can do one. Before u do anything consult ur doctor and proceed. Take care.... all the best.....

1 person likes this.
  6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on your pregnancy. You really don't need bedrest unless specifically prescribed by the doctor. You can carry on doing mild exercises - walking is the best.

it is better to avoid stretching and weights because pregnancy causes a hormone called relaxin to be released in your body. This hormone helps you (ligaments, joints, spine etc) become more pliant and flexible to aid the expansion of your uterus and subsequent delivery. So if your carry weights / do stretches it is very easy to over extend your joints / spine. This causes long lasting (and sometimes irreparable) damage to the body.

So exercise with caution. Best is to talk to your doctor about your particular case. Plus read up from all those pregnancy sites on the net like whattoexpect etc

1 person likes this.