1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hypochondriac....Is that you!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

A short story about a certain Sherry.... Maybe most of us would relate to it...

A cool Sunday Morning,
    I woke up with a planned menu,
    Wanted to spice the home,
    With some good food and bloom,
    So off I set to the market ,
    For some vegetables and flowers,
    Well this might take a while
    Probably a few hours...

So shopping bag in hand I stepped out, A lot on my mind and met Usha . "Hi" I chirped,

"How are you dear?" Was pretty surprised to not find the spirit it her. "Well,I'm Okay. To be frank not very well "." What happened?" I probed. " Just detected a cyst a tumour on my left breast. Initial stages of course and taking treatment . You never know, these things are so silent ." My jaw dropped ."Oh I'm sorry. Let me know if I could be of any use." And amidst all this talk i felt my hand shoot up to my left breast and beneath the woolen cardigan felt a lump. "Need to go home and check " i thought .Perhaps....
    After talking for a few minutes i moved on to meet Janki. "Hey Sherry", she shrieked ,
    "Hi Janki, how are you?" I'm Okay but did you hear abour Chandni?" "What about her?" "Dont you know shes down with Pneumonia" "Pneumonia" I repeated dumbly. "Yes started off as a mild cold but suddenly got serious" . My jaw dropped. Janki continued,"These things happen , You never know when".
    Suddenly I could hear some wheezing sound,THE WHEEZING SOUND, was from me . Yes I was wheezing. Perhaps...
    Moved a litttle further and met Arti, "How are you dear ?"" Not very well, Actually Mom's sick, Shes down with Jaundice" ." Jaundice, OH God!!!" "Yes Actually all was well till she was feeling a little sick a few days back and she began vomitting. she wasnt liking the taste of food and then the check up revealed.." My jaw dropped again as she was saying "These things could happen to anyone , You never know" .Mmmm...I was thinking about myself I havent been enjoying my food over the last few days. Perhaps....
    Set a little further to meet Vrinda who looked like she'd seen a ghost " Heard that ?" What ? I wondered. "L ata's suffered a cardiac arrest. At such a young age . Shes around your age I guess. And she was perfectly healthy. But she's a bit stable now.
    These days anything can happen to anybody" My jaw dropped again . At the rate my jaw was dropping I might suffer a jawline fracture. Afraid I supported my jaw , and as i did that i could feel some palpitation. Palpitation , a sign of heart problem . I could feel my heart beating very fast . Perhaps....
    I needed to go home . I was through I just couldnt shop , I was also experiencing a very bad migrane. Migrane? OR a brain tumour? Perhaps...
    As I entered my home my shopping bag was empty but my body was full ....I had them all pneumonia, jaundice, brain tumour , cardiac arrest and probably more. Perhaps....

A classic case of a Hypochondriac. have you encountered such experiences . somebody tells you about their bodily grievances and you or somebody you know echo "Ya , I know I too go through the same"

Do share similar experiences with us. ,

God Bless

Devika

2. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

hi Devika,

Could really relate with you... Last week or so, we had a luncheon get together... As usual the men were in the drawing room discussing two disastrous topics,bonk Indian Cricket and Sharjah Dubai traffic. We women were inside yakking away. The ladies started asking about my mom, who has had a relapse suddenly... :helpHow I wished I hadn't said anything because from that moment, till food was served there were only tales of disastrous health complications... including tapeworms breeding in brain! RantI felt nauseated... by the gloom and tragedy the women seemed to enjoy sharing! Macabre!:spin

3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Yes, wrote this piece after facing similar experiences wih other men& women. The number of hypotheitic cases around me sometimes makes for a good laugh.

quote=twinsmom;235455]hi Devika,

Could really relate with you... Last week or so, we had a luncheon get together... As usual the men were in the drawing room discussing two disastrous topics,bonk Indian Cricket and Sharjah Dubai traffic. We women were inside yakking away. The ladies started asking about my mom, who has had a relapse suddenly... :helpHow I wished I hadn't said anything because from that moment, till food was served there were only tales of disastrous health complications... including tapeworms breeding in brain! RantI felt nauseated... by the gloom and tragedy the women seemed to enjoy sharing! Macabre!:spin[/quote]

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Devika,
    I can relate this to my MIL.
    She likes to watch medical programmes on TV. After that she will 'develop' those symptoms and even if we say that she is alright--she refuses to accept and say you guys don't know anything, I am old, sick, etc.
    My husband used to tell me that what she doesn't have is AIDS and its related diseases...

My son, I am afraid is going on the same path. He used to read his Health book and one day said that he is having Malaria and don't want to go to school...mmm

sriniketan

5. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hi Srini,

Health book with your kiddo HaHa , Wonder where his History ,Geography books have gone. Ok with kids they can come up with anything to avoid going to school.
    About your MIL ,we faced a similar situation with my granny and my mom would give her a calcium tablet of her illusionary problems and pains ,and say its a pain killer and my granny would have it and say that the medicine has really worked wonders. So you see...

Thanx for writing in..

God Bless,

Devika