Hyerthyroid in elderly cats

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by tashidelek2002, Dec 25, 2014.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Just a heads up for those with old cats. My cat Fuzzy who is 14 years old has been losing weight for the last 1.5 years, going from 22 lbs (Mr. Chubby) down to now 11.5 lbs. Eating well and active and regaining activity level as he got thinner (was hunting and active all last summer). The vet did a number of tests to find out what was going on and initially it was thought that it was kidney related as dipstick in urine showed infection. He had an x-ray of the kidneys: no stones or tumors. He was put on a couple different antibiotics (consecutively) but still showing infection. Then the vet did a blood panel which indicated that the kidneys were ok and general health was good. So we got a clean catch urine (my cat peed directly into the test tube in the morning) and they sent out the urine for culture and sensitivities and also a blood sample for thyroid testing. The vet told me that when they see weight loss in elderly cats it is often hyperthyroid which is easy to treat. The culture came back showing he had a treatable infection in the bladder and the thyroid came back hyperthyroid (as expected). High normal for the thyroid is 4.6 and he was 12! Now he is to take one pill a day (very small and cheap) for rest of life.

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi tashi,

Hope your cat Fuzzy has improved after the new medication regime.
    And all the time I thought only we humans had thyroid problems !
    Yes, ofcourse all the animal world is prone to most of the diseases we humans are susceptible to but somehow I did not think of the Thyroid factor.
    Anyway the Vet found the cause of weightloss after so many tests ...poor Fuzzy.He must be more active now I guess.

3. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi @tashidelek2002
    Your cat is 14 years old!!
    How is Fuzz?
    Hope she has recovered
    But I think the Creame Puff,the world oldest cat didn't have it
    Regards,
    Sahana

4. tashidelek2002

@Paulina:
    Well I have updates on my Fuzzy's condition. He had one month blood test after starting the antithyroid medicine and his level had fallen to 7.5 so the vet double his dosage to bring it down further. After that change he became a hibernating kitty and just getting up for food and box and then back asleep. He also gained 1.5 pounds in one month. Yesterday he had his blood taken again and the vet is thinking to lower the dosage a little but this depends on the results. These tests and medicines over here really add up financially. Anyway, will be getting the results in a few days.

5. tashidelek2002

@Sahana1:
    My Fuzzy is a boy and he is doing well. Thank you for your interest.

6. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi
    I am glad that Fuzzy is doing well
    How old he is now?
    Regards,
    Sahana

7. tashidelek2002

Update on Fuzzy's hyperthyroid situation:

Initial blood work he was a 12 and started on 5 mg a day. Next blood work month later he was at 7 so he started on 5 mg twice a day. Next blood work has less than one and was zonked out he could barely wake up and gaining back weight. Now he is on 7.5 a day (2.5 in morning and 5 at night) and he has stabilized. He is now at a good weight and doing normal sleeping pattern for an old cat. In addition, after the thyroid treatment he stopped his compulsive grooming and his hair has grown back for the most part.

8. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful to hear about Fuzzy's thyroid condition improvement.Good to know his fur is growing back .....pl post his pic once you feel he looks good....keen to see him....10 yr old grand old chap.But cats do have longer life span than dogs right? Our Lab Romeo will be 10 this July.