1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband's Ego Ruining Our Life And Family!!!! How Do We Change This.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Pisces12345, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Pisces12345

Pisces12345 Junior IL'ite

let me brief you about the family situation.
    Me and my DH work in IT. I have a DD 4.5yrs old. And my FIL is 74 - he has been diagnosed
    with cancer and is under treatment for the same.I have a maid who takes care of my DD. I prepare
    food for all 3 meals and get to work after I drop my LO by 9am.

Two things I dont know how to fix. I need your suggestion for.

Initially my FIL used take care of buying provision all small stuff for the house. But now he is
    not supposed to drive around - so I had requested my DH to help me out since he leaves to work
    by 12pm. He does not want to wake up early and get involved in any household activities.
    He expects me to handle a patient, a child, home and job & also do everything for the house. Which is next to impossible for me. Whats worse,
    my FIL doesn't keep a safe distance from the child. I am not saying that he should not touch her or stay in a room. Just not feed child with same spoon that he eats in. If i confront he says he will not but he repeats the same. he gives unhealthy stuff to my DD.
    He sips every bottle and then we have to drink from the same. If I give him a separate bottle
    he wont stick to that. Unfortunately I am not at home to take care of everything.

And my DH seems to have an Ego problem for everything I say. For instance,if I say don't let your
    father prepare food for the child or feed the child he wont listen. He get offends for
    the smallest of the reasons. Sometimes i feel he does it on purpose. I dont know what to
    say and how to solve this. He says he is a Man he can do the job only meant for a man to do.
    I am wondering what is the definition for a women then - why am I working, why is my income inevitable to the house

Just FYI... there was a huge fight between my family and FIL & DH -- I sided my DH completely
    I am not in touch with my family at all. What should I do now. How should I turn this around.

Caide likes this.

2. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

As for first problem now there are store which deliver things directly at home as a monthly delivery you can prefer and for second since both FIL and DH are not listening try to advise your DO to avoid FIL's feeding and get him a new bottle and explain things so that he can use it for his own purpose and ask your maid to take care these issues too and ask her to keep an eye on it and as far ur FIL he is sick cant do anything though cancer is not communicable disease can find links regarding it, i attached one below but chances of infection is possible though so take care all the best
    Is Cancer Contagious?

3. Pisces12345

Thank you Caide. I appreciate article that you sent to me.

I know it helps. what I am trying to do here is set things right at home. It is not just because of Cancer, he is having tablets and his general personal hygiene is not good in the given circumstances. I am just trying to keep the child safe.

What hurts me to the most the EGO that I have to put up with, along with all this in hand. How should I handle this... My DH doesn't want to take up any responsibility of the house or the child. He considers the house a crash place. I want to know, how to fix his perspective - he wouldnt speak about this.

Caide likes this.
  4. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

yeah can understand.. kids find it interesting to taste new things request ur maid to take care of child since she is the only hope here and as for as ur hubby ask him what is his problem and try to have conversation in a smooth manner may be he might hav prob in office too so he is showing it to you.. some ppl show anger or hater to ones who they think they belong only to them which is both good and bad :) try to make things clear to him if he didnt wanna understand den no other other way we girls always have to adjust no idea why

5. Pisces12345

Yes I have spoken to my maid, right away.. thank you for bringing that up.

Agree with your point of view, he might have been angry over something else... true.
    But adjustment is a small word, which has a big impact.... it is okay to adjust if your husband forgets ur birthday.
    If he shows his anger on you..

But do you think it is right to adjust if ur husband doesnt turn up because he is in a cricket match and you are admitted in the hospital.!!!!!
    If you go against ur parents since they hurt ur husband and he says u r here with me because you dont have anywhere else to go!!!! really???

Caide likes this.
  6. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

yeah adjust is just word but impact different
    Thats bad and at this point you have to teach him that u r not dependent on him not in aggressive way but in smooth way... you are educated and independent too so focus on something else divert your mood and if u get hurt let him find it on his own don't lose ur pride and also ur anger too don't show it if he keeps complaining just do some other work so that your mind wont keep it rewind and though we cant forget certain things at least we can ignore like"he is like that only let me just be happy in life" and soon some point he might start to miss you and get angry to as u r not responding or not getting angry he may ask for reason too who knows just stay strong he may understand you one day

7. Pisces12345

I guess we dont have much choice...... to ignore and Pray & Hope things will be better.....
    Just that I wish there was another way!!!

Its hard to digest that men and women are different - when we have the same mind, body and soul.

But thank you Caide, you had put it in the best possible way!! :) thats really sweet of you!!!
    I will try the smooth way!!

Caide likes this.
  8. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@NJ1785,
    Caide above, has very rightly said what can be done by you under the circumstances. From experience, i can say that egoistic men especially because they have brought up in this way, very rarely change their basic mindset.
    You can also only adjust to the extent you can manage. Beyond that, without expecting basic change in his thinking, you can look at the practical aspect of it and lay it out clearly to him, that the maximum that is possible for you is to look to meal arrangements and arrangements for your child care - for which the maid is available. Outside jobs of shopping for the household etc, he has to do. You're up against an uphill task - but unless you put your foot down where he himself should realise, you will continue to slog without any acknowledgement. Take care.

Caide likes this.
  9. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

yeah its only become a tagline"unity in diversity" but when we see deep down there is no unity at all but in India gender discrimination is far better than some other countries i dont wanna mention here and be strong and welcome :) all the best fighting :)

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....how much does your husband value your earning?
    Does it impact your life style?
    What would be his reaction if you told him"I am finding it hard to manage doing so much on my own.I have been thinking of taking a break from work"?
    Do you think it will get him to get off his back and help you out?

If you think this is a bad idea...then delegate your work to home to paid help.
    Get a maid who will help you out with work and take care of child once she comes back from school.Give her instructions to take care of feeding her.

For groceries...use home delivery .These days you can get almost everything home delivered. Your fil and maid can take the delivery.

As for fil....cancer is not contagious. If he finds happiness with your child...don't restrict. Being happy is helpful in recovery from illness.

Using the same spoon may seem unhygienic ...but kids put worse things in their mouth.Think about the positives.Your fil loves her and he is around to supervise the maid in taking care of her.

Keep a jug or flask full of water in fil's room.

Please make up with your parents.call them up and apologize.There is no shame in apologizing to parents .A girl with out parental support is taken for granted many times. Make the effort to get back with them.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    joylokhi and songbird46 like this.