1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband's bad habits- how to control?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by generic, Jul 14, 2015.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

From past 1-2 yrs I have been observing that my husband is not leading proper lifestyle.. he has many bad habits that are affecting his personal life and health:

1. He eats junk food often..every once in 3 days he wants to order fast food takeouts..eats lot of fried stuff like chips, fried snacks, burgers, chocolates and sweets regularly.
    Not that he doesnt like home food, but he has an excessive liking for junk food and sweets stuffs. If I make simple food he gets bored soon.
    He likes to prepare fried stuff and high calories dishes every now and then.

2. In-laws also encourage him by preparing sweets & savouries in excess, so he eats them. If I stop them from making or getting these snacks I get the name of being a bad wife and bad DIL for stopping him from eating these.

3. He loves watching TV shows and stays up very late night and till early morning , doesnt get enough sleep or sleeps at odd hours.

4. He goes with friends and has few drinks now and then. I dont know how much he drinks.

5. Does not do any exercise.

6. Started smoking , smokes about a cigarette or 2 every now n then.

7. He shouts at me if I advice him abt healthy living habits .

8. Refused to go for any health checkup.

9. He has to lose some weight but how is it possible unless he eats sensibly and exercises.

He can get really nasty when he is angry and refuses to listen to me.

Root cause is stress and laziness to do any exercise.

Please advice how I can change him and make him to adopt healthy eating habits?
    I am worried please help.

2. stappe

stappe Senior IL'ite

My thoughts exactly..........will wait for some suggestions....hope we get a way to solve it

1 person likes this.
  3. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

Me too following this thread for some suggestions. Mine doesn't drink or smoke but eating out unhealthy is his stress buster. Also he has no control on how much he eats.
    Problem is he knows he is making an unhealthy choice while giving an order but he says "Anyway I do not eat here everyday and once in a while is OK".:bonk. Girls pl help!!

1 person likes this.
  4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

You cannot (and should not try) to control your spouse habits. You can show good example, encourage him to join you for exercise, discuss healthy eating options without blaming and accusing. His body, his choice.

3 people like this.
  5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Truth is you cannot make an adult do what he doesnt want to do. You can encourage and be an example, but nagging him wont work.

1 person likes this.
  6. Alita

Alita Senior IL'ite

Talking to a doctor may help. You can not control another human being; especially when they are grown adults. Get outside help. Hope with time he sees and does what is right.

Alita

1 person likes this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

U be silent and nothing is more powerful than silence.talk to him when needed only.he will ask u why.he will be ready to listen.

secondly,why don't u join gym and start a healthy lifestyle.he will see u looking more good and get inspired.

thirdly,why don't u prepare the junk dishes in a healthy way.homenade Briyanis and fried stuff r way better than outside!

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@generic,

You have every right to demand a health checkup for him as you are married to him. Please keep insisting on that with love everyday until he listens to you. Please communicate with the physician sufficiently in advance about his bad habits so that he can provide sound advice without mentioning your name. If his health was impacted by his bad habits, he would realize himself that he need to change his life style. Only the medical reports can help you solve this problem. If his report were good, at least, your concerns will be eliminated. With best wishes.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Dear OP

Instead of nagging him for such things try to set an example for him. Get up early, exercise regularly, eat fresh fruits and salads more in front of him, dont eat fried food or junk food with him. Sleep early. If you are already doing it then there is nothing more that you can do but if not then there are chances that he will learn it from you.

In my case it was the other way round. My husband is a fitness freak and I was a lazy goose. But over the time I developed a liking towards healthy lifestyle thanks to him. And now leading a very healthy life.

2 people like this.
  10. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Be an example to him.Talk about stories (make it up ;)) wherein youngsters have had heartattacks and paralysis because of following unhealthy eating habits.Persuade him to have a health checkup and speak about his habits in front of the doctor.Let the doctor put some sense into him.

What you can do from your end is decide on which days of the week he can have fast food.Then slowly make it to thrice or twice a month.This is gonna take a lot of time and persuasion from your end.Why not join a gym together??Its fun to exercise together.Also try and praise guys with good muscular bodies in the gym.Make him feel really jealous.At the same time work on your body to look good.This should encourage him also after all he shouldnt look like a pot belly middle aged man in front of his young and hot wife :exactly:

1 person likes this.