1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband wants parents along on all outings and vacations

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mia3, Oct 7, 2014.

1. mia3

mia3 New IL'ite

Hi
    Been nine months to our marriage. My husband loves me but he is too much into his family. We all stay together, us two, his parents and brother-in-law. They are all really good but they interfere too much. My in-laws wanted to go along with us on our honeymoon too, so did my husband but he did ask me what do i want, i told him i would prefer us to go alone, he agreed. but that was pretty much it. We have never been on any holiday, 2 day weekend get-aways ever alone after that. He has again planned our 1st anniversary already as a family holiday. He also wants everyone along on weekends. Apart from the times when the in-laws are occupied, we all go out together. Since our marriage we might have watched just a couple of movies alone. He says its not as much fun to go out when its just 2 people, its better with everyone along. And my in-laws wants all his time too, want to accompany us everywhere, they feel that we get to sleep together, we get the night time alone, why do u need more private time. My hubby loves me, cares for me but apart from the private time we get in our room he doesn't want anything else. He just wants his parents and brother everywhere. All "fun" holidays, no "romantic" holidays/outings. If i tell this to him, he says I can go for you, but I'm not interested. And that's really irritating. What should i do??!

2. Tryinghard2013

Tryinghard2013 Silver IL'ite

Been there, done that! :)
    i was in a marriage where we exactly did the same thing. All family outings, vacations and dinners. When I was Newly married, I took it in my stride and thought it was a way to get along with the elders and family. Hey, but it went on and on and on. I kind of started feeling so suffocated coz I basically could never be myself and always had to be the DIL they expected. And later on found it humiliating that even after letting my husband know that we need to be together alone, he did not desire it. I kinda started feeling like the unwanted wife. Plus I had other issues too with the ILs who were manupalative and interfering. I opted for a divorce. Not that I am suggesting that. But reading ur post reminded me of my position and wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I think unless ur husband wants the same thing, going out alone will be hard for u too. All the best!

3. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Girl, give him a taste of how GUD a vacation is with just YOU! :idea

3 people like this.
  4. mom2gurls

mom2gurls New IL'ite

Amen to that! But in all seriousness, would you say your family dynamics are more traditional or modern. What about you...are you stuck in a palloo when you would rather be wearing shorts and tank top. I say you forget trying to reason....because you may feel bummed If you get the wrong response. Actions speak larger than words. You need him to see why its much funner hanging out with you ONLY rather that the entire family.

2 people like this.
  5. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

wer is ur mom n dad..or do u have any close relative of urs in ur city..ur sis or bro??if have them u take them also along wid u..u show u have ur own people too..wen he opposes u fr bringing them then u ask in which they alone are different ..n tell if they should not come then his parents n bro should not come too..n tell him i ll not come out with u if u dnt want my people to come..do dis fr few times..u dnt give up..let him taste the same thing ..then he may change..or atleast u ll have ur people too with u..

1 person likes this.
  6. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

Maybe you can start small and take it from there...try going out with your dh for a movie, he wouldn't want to watch with his parents...then u can go out for dinner after that, eat slowly and take your time but have fun with him...show him it can be fun with just the two of you! What about your dh's likes/dislikes? If he is into sports, adventures etc you can plan a trip where you can indulge in these...your ils won't want to go given their age! Otherwise you can go with a group of friends for a start...it is easier to spend some time alone with your spouse when u go out with friends...
    if he still insists on going out with family, go to an amusement park...your pils will be bored and leave the two of you alone!

3 people like this.
  7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Oh dear! Again makes me I wonder why you these guys get married.

what you are asking for is not trivial. Since it bothers you, it is extremely important. Be cheerful and tell him, yes. You would like him to try going out with you alone on a few trips. Then make sure those trips of memory or. If he sulks, don't bend over backwards to please him. A simple, "come on! Don't ruin it for me" will do. Pack clothes which you may not wear in front of your ILs.

If he still sulks, an argument which needs to simply be stated calmly - "darling, I left my family to be with you. Now I'm only asking for a few romantic outings wih you. It's only fair that you put some effort into this. I'd like you to think about it"

whatever it is, do not back down or pretend this is ok. This firm behaviour will set the tone for your relationship going forward.

5 people like this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Some men just marry so that their family gets a 'bahu' and he gets some one to keep him warm in bed.Your husband seems to be that kind.

1)Insist you want to be romanced outside of the bedroom too...otherwise you feel cheap like he married you only for S*x.
    2) Encourage your husband to send his parents out with the single BIL.Book tickets for a family film for them and book tickets for a movie that is not family appropriate with your husband. Suggest non family viewing movies to your husband.If he objects...ask him if he is a child who can't view such movies.Roll your eyes and tell him to grow up...then smile innocently.
    3) Plan your couple outings and in advance and let him know.
    4) Find stuff to do you can do alone.Make some friends.Pick up some hobby you really have a passion for.Music,dance,art......Learn to have a life without your husband.If he doesn't have fun with you alone...let him know you will find your fun...with him or without him.Period.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  9. mia3

mia3 New IL'ite

dunno...he wants to be with me...he wants me to be there...but yeah...not "just" me..

10. mia3

mia3 New IL'ite

he wants to be with me., he wants me to be there...but yeah...not "just" me..
    if its some movie or any outing where the parents cant go along, there's his brother, if its an english movie that the parents dun wanna watch then the 3 of us go. I like him, he's like a brother to me too, he's cute n i have fun with him but you can imagine. my husband likes to post all outings on fb..and its always "hanging out with wife and brother". haven't had any post "with wife" since after our honeymoon.
    tradition wise..family is ok..i dun roam around in shorts n tanks but i wear western clothes more than indian. but ya no limit to their possessiveness for their sons and my husband dun wanna hurt that feeling of theirs at all, he wants those things too for them. what's more irritating is they never pay, he never lets them, my FIL is not retired, he's earning but my hubby doesn't let them pay, fil buys gift for mil n takes along son for a suggestion n hubby pays, we go out for their anniversary treat n hubby pays. they buy a suit for me for karvachauth for the tradition n hubby pays, doesn't let MIL open her wallet. :/