1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband Telling He Can Replace Me With Nanny

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mirrorimage, May 2, 2022.

1. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Silver IL'ite

ok ..we just read some synopsis in netflix series where it read
    The Ultimatum: Marry or Move On
    Get hitched or call it quits? Couples put their love to the test — while shacking up with other potential matches — in a provocative reality series.

so something started as funny conversation...
    Husband: if you are not happy you can also feel free to find someone
    Me : no ii dont want to...i am not good at maintaining any rellationships (as I am an introvert) and mooreover I am very happy

Husband: I have kept you happy..thats why....its me whoo is keeping you so happy
    Me : what will you do with the kids?will you be able to take care of them too
    Husband: I don't have a problem...I can easily appoint a nanny and take care of them...you are free to go if you want to...

though it started funny ....that last statements made me move to tears..he telling that I can easily be replaced by some nanny for my kids...what the hell......i just moved out of that place..could not control my tears..if i cry in front of him i appear very weak and i feel he takes advantage of that more...
    I don't work.....but somehow left my career to take care of kids and life is revolving around them for now...
    i so miss the way I once was before....now ii am just being so dependent on him for everything...i just cant stop crying thinking about those words.....I miss my parents where I was so special to them everyday...where I was not some replaceable commodity...

messedup and chanchitra like this.

2. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Short and straight answer : show it to him your worth. Tell him to appoint a nanny and pay huge bucks for taking care of the kids. Stop doing anything that you are doing till now (wife duties) whether cooking, cleaning, keeping stuff in place or even physical pleasure that he is getting from you (if any).
    Try for a few days. Pickup your old hobby or develop a new hobby and indulge in it. Try shopping some new dresses or clothes that usually you wont dare to wear. Go and dare it!
    Try a new hair cut or experiment with your hair style. Spend time in taking care of your skin, go workout in gym or morning jogs.
    Gain your self worth and self confidence back. Meanwhile try to findout what jobs you can apply for and try to upgrade your skills too.
    Life is too short to let someone (be it parent or sibling or husband or inlaws) to make you feel worthless.
    The problem is not them saying it to you on your face. The problem is you allowing them to dare say this.
    Go lady bird....ja jee le apni zindagi :cheer:

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Nanny can never ever replace a mom.period.

The love,the adoration without any expectations only mom can give.

Trust me..10 days you stop doing what u are doing..people will understand your value.

Before that you need to understand your value dear

Also..I feel be it working or not..should be a personal priority and not reasons like taking care of kids this and that.

When I was a homemaker..I stayed back coz I liked my space and freedom and I felt awesome being home.I did not stay back for my kids.it’s my life and choice to be at home and for me it was fun.

Now am working..it is also for me.I chose work carefully and the timings and nothing hectic.

Tomorrow if I go back being at home..I will still be happy.

it’s not about wat U do but why u r doing it ,what for you are doing it gives you the right confidence.

even your husband cannot make u feel weak.You should not give him the power.

empower yourself and make the choice u love.

start by doing what u love.recreate yourself.No one can make you feel low without u allowing it.

be it husband or anyone else will say zillion things based on their moods,perceptions and to prove to themselves that they are doing the right thing in life.Throw that out and get empowered.

Good luck dear.U are awesome.Remember that.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    messedup likes this.
  4. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Nanny cannot fulfill mom care! Ask him will he replace his mom for a nanny! Nanny can be a help to a mom not for the family as such. I feel I appoint a nanny to help u ! U just become a guide !

AliceMargaret and chanchitra like this.
  5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

The most important thing in any kind of argument, particularly when the other person is trying to shame you, is to give it back. Logic doesn't matter, the other person should fear speaking nonsense next time. Think of the powerful people you have seen in your life. Would anyone dare to make loose talk with them.

The response should be:

Husband: if you are not happy you can also feel free to find someone
    Me :Thanks for the advice. I know how to make my own decisions with regards to this matter. You can tell me if I ask for advice.

Husband: I have kept you happy..thats why....its me whoo is keeping you so happy
    Me : Yeah, keep dreaming

Husband: I don't have a problem...I can easily appoint a nanny and take care of them...you are free to go if you want to...
    Me : You can also feel free to go if you want to. I can easily appoint a servant to take care of the work you do. Just keep paying the money I and the kids are entitled to.

Sometimes people can go a step too far thinking its funny. Its important to put them in their place.

Don't sweat over these kind of banter. Be prepared the next time and every time.

6. rosequeen

rosequeen Bronze IL'ite

Try to be calm and not escalate the conflict, just remind him there is lot more involved in being a mother vs a nanny would be my advice. According to "modern ladies" advice you can "put your husband in his place" and "yell at him till he trembles in fear" and will not dare to repeat this behavior. Try both and let us know which works better

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

But @Thoughtful is not a "modern ladies"? He is a "modern gents" and advising to give it back then and there.

Mistt, MalStrom, Laks09 and 4 others like this.
  8. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Lol .
    Nanny is never equal to mom.
    Nanny will have specific pay for days and nights.
    If the kid is a night waking one, God help your husband

sarvantaryamini and lakshmi888 like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@mirrorimage your post reminded me of Monday mornings long ago when I used to have similar weekend events & conversations to vent about to friends, talking on the cordless while cooking. In fact, some of these conversations with DH used to happen after reading the description on the Netflix DVD sleeve in the dim light before or after the movie.

Such banter about theoretical possibilities and comparisons can quickly get out of hand. It can be about nanny replacing mother, or how a woman in the movie goes back to pre-pregnancy body, or how a woman handled a particular challenge.

The comments can hurt. By God, they can hurt a lot. They strike at the very core of your being,self-worth and confidence. But if you calmly or firmly tell him it hurts to hear that, you'll get the response, "Oh you can't take a joke?", "Isn't it the truth what I am saying?", "I am only stating the fact." If you further explain your hurt, they will double down and say it again. Whereas the wise thing for the husband to do would be to draw the wife into a hug, look her in the eye, and tell her, "No mother like you in the whole world." Or, a simple "sorry I didn't mean that."

TL;DR: Men don't get that the littlest thank you or littlest dismissive comment are what matter most to a woman.

This is an issue that cannot be resolved by calmly bringing it up later. No. If you bring it up again, he will laugh and most likely make the comments again. Better to be prepared with a smarter comeback for the next time. And also avoid such banter.

Also keep in mind that such conversations do happen between husband and wife. Chances are you also might have made such comments but don't recall. Random example: you might have compared him to your friend's husband or to some man in the movie who stands up for his wife and supports her. I used to compare my husband to dads who volunteered in school. :facepalm::facepalm: One time I told him how patient a friend's husband was when they went shopping in the holiday sales. He calmly told me: next time take him when you go shopping. :facepalm:

And we did often talk about who was the more dispensable or replaceable parent. The little good that came out of these conversations was that we revised our life insurance arrangements and did the will/trust thingies.

So try to avoid such conversations, have a ready comeback and keep in mind that such talk does happen between couples.

Anisu, AliceMargaret and Thoughtful like this.
  10. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Me: Ofcourse you can! so tell me when are you going to start paying me back for all the nanny duties i did for the past XXX years?
    Its alright if you cant pay it at one go! I am willing to convert it all to EMI to make it easier for you.

1 of the most important life lessons, giving it back in the same form that we get it from them. Smile and say those words.

Dont yell, argue, cry coz it all means that you take their words seriously. If the words hurt you a lot, just say something and leave the place. Give yourself a pat on your back for all the effort you put into making the family work and stay together and for being the root cause for their acheivements.

You become a commodity only when you chose to be one. Dont let his words fool you into thinking you are nothing but a waste of space or easily replaceble.

Honestly Mirrorimage, tell me something. Do you really need someone else to feel special for who you are? Let me tell you that i am a working mom. I can afford to be one coz i have my mom help me with the work at home. Leave me alone to manage the house and i get so freaked out, i panic and have a breakdown.

The worth of our sacrifices is known only to us. Its impossible that anyone else will understand how much our dreams meant to us.

I would advise you to -

1) Stop taking your husband's words seriously. They are just his opinons and not the absolute truth.

2) Take a break occasionally and treat yourself for all that you did. I still do. Pat yourself on your back and say good job. Or better yet, look into your mirrorimage and say good job! you made it!

3) Not ignore your wishes and dreams. Maybe you might have left your career but you still have your hobbies. OR maybe you can start small by working from home.

You are special. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Its ok if they dont see your awesomeness. Just remember that just coz they are blind doesnt mean you are worthless. They are not fit to know your worth. That's all!