1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband is asking to share Alcoholic drinks..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by catwalk, Jun 1, 2013.

1. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

Dear All,

I found IL very interesting and I need advise on this issue.

We are married for 2 years and right from HM my husband asked me to share
    alcoholic drinks with him. At that time, he told it is good to shed the inhibitions. So I shared some wine / Beer. We are from very conservative family and it is not a common practice for women to consume alcoholic drinks.

Personally, I do not mind taking Wine.. I used to take Beer too, once in a while. But I don't like hot drinks. my DH wants me to share all drinks he consume. He is not alcoholic, but use it regularly.

What is your opinion?

2. menong

menong Silver IL'ite

Do it if you are comfortable else do not... Others opinion on this issue does not matter...

3. plakshmi

plakshmi Gold IL'ite

hi

my 2 cents.. though husband and wife you are two individuals. each must have some personal space. so if you like it go ahead. and if you dislike then say no boldly. but dont become addict.

lakshmi

4. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

I think its purely your choice.

1 person likes this.
  5. deepavinu

deepavinu New IL'ite

its all up to you. do whatever u are comfortable with.

1 person likes this.
  6. navyar

navyar Gold IL'ite

Shed your inhibitions once again .... :)

7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

In an unknown crowd or get together we have Ice breaking sessions - a coffee break.

Now between wife & husband we have Inhibitions breaking sessions - a drinks break.

Amazing to know the developments - we are evolving - lol.

Know the good & bad and venture - the way we advance day by day I am not sure what other inhibitions shedding sessions we may have to get on with...

4 people like this.
  8. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

Have you seen the Hindi movie,"Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam"? If you haven't, then you really must.
    The female protagonist played by Meena Kumari faced a similar dilemma - you'll see how wonderfully her life turned out, at the end of the reel.

1 person likes this.
  9. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Don't do it. If it is something good then you may try and do it for him. It is not good and I feel it's weird that he is even asking you to drink.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Needing to have alcohol in HM is a tad concerning. :) Inhibitions etc are supposed to get shed in HM without much external aid. :)

It is nice that you tried drinks when DH suggested. You could stick to only wine and beer also. Many people do that and it is understandable.

Not sure what you mean by hot drinks. You mean temperature hot or the ones that go down the throat blazing a trail of fire? Either way, for these, you could tell husband that you will have a sip from his glass, and stick to your usual wine. He should not force you to have the same drink as him. The basic sign of a good host is to wave his arm in front of the liquor cabinet with a flourish and ask guests what they'd like to have, and not force them to have what he is having. And, this is your husband, not host! Also, there is something quaint and charming about a lady who insists on sticking to wine and of a particular kind.

Another sign of a good host/husband is to not make an issue of a wine bottle being half-finished. That should not be a reason to not open the bottle or to force person to finish it or to force to have hot alcoholic drinks.

All that being said, if you don't like to imbibe alcohol as often as him, you shouldn't have to. You could join him for the session and remain the designated driver, even if not going anywhere later. Just be sure to properly phrase your reasons for not drinking as often as him. Do not bring in the "I am from conservative family where women don't commonly drink" factor. Keep the reasons brief and express hope that you will get to like it more in the future. Not all hopes expressed come true or have to come true.

:cheers