1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband habit of drinking - good / bad

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sheebros, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Husband habit of drinking -good / bad

Hi friends i could see now many threads in our forum arguing about drinking habit..my opinion is whatever the amout of alcohol it is and in what name it is taken like social drinking,official drinking, unofficial drinking..DRINKING is bad..
    Already we are not getting the organic food nowadays..its chemical everywhere and consuming chemical everyday in name of food..getting new type of diseases..then why we have to take something like alcohol knowing its bad for health..i wont accept taking little amount of drink wont harm our body..they have their own effect..

2. SHS

SHS Bronze IL'ite

Hi Stuti,

Nothing wrong in being a foodie........Just take care of your weight.......You will never know when obesity sets in. The process of gaining weight is too stealthily slow for one to know it, even.

Just a friendly word of caution.........![/QUOTE]

I am too much into fitness :).Gym n swimming are MUST for me so no ways that I will gain weight.Moreover now a days Im trying my best to be more fit :crazy

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OK...you are entitled to your opinion, even though I dont agree with you. Dont accept alcohol Cinderella, i do hope no one is forcing you to take it.

I am too much into fitness :).Gym n swimming are MUST for me so no ways that I will gain weight.Moreover now a days Im trying my best to be more fit :crazy[/QUOTE]

Same here Stuti...I go to the gym 6 days a week. Actually I started it over 18 months ago; DH and I took family membership and we are going there. It adds on to my already busy schedule, but hey...it makes me feel good.

4. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Stuti & Rakhii,

Good that you are doing work outs in a Gym, regularly. I agree, then, it is less likely that you guys will become obese.

But, my point is...............the process of weight gain is too slow.........and too stealthy. So, one has to periodically weigh himself / herself and be aware of any possible weight gain.

Weight once gained is seldom lost easily.

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

OP

I didt see you coming back and answering any of the questions we asked you, if you want this thread for general discussion, I will move this to general topics instead of keeping it here in relationships forum. If you have specific questions to ask and fix, then lets discuss it.with out your participation, this thread becomes general and deserves to be in a diff. sub forum

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

You dont worry, at gym, we do weigh at least once in 3 days :).

7. TimidlyConfidnt

TimidlyConfidnt Gold IL'ite

:hiya

My hubby comes from a family where everyone (Adults) drink if they wish to. Two of his cousins are alcoholic. But let me add, this doesnt prevent them to function properly in any aspect. They are doing great in their careers and happy family life except this sore point. The thing is their wives have realized that their DH's are grown up adults and can't be chaperoned all the time. They will quit when they are ready. Incidently one of the wife is a counselor who helps gravely ill people.

My DH is a drinker but he has taken a lesson from his cousins and realized how bad it could get. Also I never approved whenever he went over the top and he was aware of that. Last time I made him clean the bathroom after the episode :biglaugh Now the situation is such when he has beer, he cant sleep well at night:rotfl (I dont take any credit here ) BTW he called beer flavored water!!

That said, I don't believe anythings is wrong in in drinking as long as its done responsibly. Just like Rakhii, both DH and I take wine, coolers. I enjoy it and he enjoys it too. We also know when our kids grow up, they'll be curious about it even if it wasn't available at home. The responsibility here would be educating them about it instead of being strict and suppressing them. That I have seen in most cases to back fire. They'd go out and do it on the sly.

Just like in ads "Drink responsibly"

8. SriVidya75

I guess what I could conclude atleast is....families where both wife and husband do the moderate/social drinking...they have no objection to drinking....(as per what ever their terminoloy is..when they call it moderation/social)....thats their family setup....

But in families where only the husband drinks, thats where the issue is...the wifes dont like it.....so might be either the wifes have to start drinking tooo :biglaugh...or quit trying to stop husband from this so called moderate drinking.:crazy

I am really scared :bonkwhen people use this word called moderation( this is a very very ambigious term which has no clear meaning...for some wine and beer are just water...and for some its alcohol).....might be I am the conservative one!! I agree in these modern times..when there are women who have drinks moderately...why stop men!!!!??? but might be its just my family. and I dont mind being the way I am....because we have friends where both wife and husband drink and both of them dont control each others drinking ....might be the equality grounds i guess.

but the way people are talking about exposure really baffles me....exposure and education are 2 different terms....to educate a person you dont have to do it right infront of them...If there are cases where kids turned out to be bad because the parents have not given enough education or exposure aobut sex and alcohol , there are same no. of cases where kids went overboard with those because they think its all normal, they saw their parents doing it right infront of them...no big deal...so either you follow one or the other path...they may/may not lead to success...it also depends on other factors..not just about how much you educate or expose the kid to something.

And also about people who come from families where there is already history of drinking, really they wont see anything wrong with drinking in so called moderation/social drinking because of the exposure and family setup and background they came from...but for a person who has never seen anyone in their family get drunk, ..its totally a scary thing...

I am from a family where I have seen men drinking with this concept called moderation, but in my family if someone pukes after drinking and makes a scene I would ensure they never come to my house again....specially I wont respect such men who cant control their alcohol intake even if it is my husband or father or brother. Being an adult theey should know when to stop and how much is too much..if they cant make that differentiation, I guess the wife has to take the charge of showing the differentiation and putting the controls.

9. SriVidya75

Just on a lighter note....

few of my husband's friends and their wives, dont like me....reason...the moment they come to my house they expect drinks to be served...and I say a big no to it....even if they request it...rule is a rule...no drinks in my house...go out and have what you want!!!

so when we go to their houses, even if its a kids birthday, they serve drinks...I am so surprised...reason..thats a kids party, and the fathers and mothers are getting drunk, are the kids safe to go back to their houses with such parents driving??? a split of second is enough to create the damage...

Also even if it is just a small gathering for fun and visiting, immediately the wife brings a half a bottle that was left over and tells her husband to finish it off:spin...and the husband invites rest of the men for drinks...there were several nasty incidents that happened during such drinks time...some men shout an dfight with each other, some men accuse each other or their wifes right infront of everyone....inspite of all this they call this social drinking a way to relax...relax?? who is relaxing here? washing their dirty laundry in public that too how can a wife address the issues and concerns of a drunk husband infront of 10 other men when the husband is exposing their personal matters??? the wife was soo embarassed she cried and left the place...she had no car and we had to actually beg her to be back...she was standing outside in snow because she was too embarassed and ashamed by her husbands actions.by the way the guy who offered the drinks was all smiles watching all this...(It seems this guy when he gets overdrunk he starts smiling and laughing for no reason..he doesnt talk...he just laughs so good for his wife...but the other lady..she had pretty rough night...and a nasty one...we never saw her again though)

So after these incidents...I said no to such people first of all...(who drink mdoerately) and who suggest drinking moderately...because there is nothing called moderation...either you drink or dont drink...

When a person drinks...the person is in drunken state...they wont say moderate drunkard or moderate drunken state!!!

this is my view point...and am in no way saying that there no people who behave well....but even in many such studies which said wine is right...the same no. of studies said the amount of alcohol that can actually affect the ability of a person to make the right judgement or decision....even 2 beers is highly harmful as per such studies...incase if we are talking about studies.

10. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Srividya you wrote simply superb..i totally agree with you :iagree

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.