1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband And I Have Opposite Views On Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by papoosh, May 8, 2016.

1. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

We've been married for 6 years, have an almost 4 year old son and live with my father in law. While my husband is absolutely sure he doesn't want a second child, I cannot imagine my life without another baby. As of now, our status quo had been that we will revisit the topic when my son is 5 as I didn't want a second child before that.

Having said that, I just found out I am pregnant.
    Rationally, it's not the best time since my father in law is in the hospital right now and his health has been on a steady decline due to Alzheimer's and other issues leading to a lot of stress for us even with full time nursing support at home. Add to that the fact that my husband is currently financially helping out both with my parents and his. Also, we are an older couple. He is 38 and me 33. Understandably my husband is absolutely against this pregnancy.

I on the other hand fear that if I abort this time, we will never manage to get to a second child at all. I also feel that since my husband already feels too old to be a father again and I have seen him wanting less and less to be a father again, this is my one shot at a second child.

My husband feels absolutely betrayed by my refusal to go along with what he thought we had agreed on, which is that we will revisit the conversation when my son is 5. Until then, we will not go ahead with any pregnancy. Having said that I am terrified to abort this one and find down the line that we will never have a sibling for our child.
    I am not really particular about conceiving my own child and would actually prefer to adopt my second. My husband just doesn't want to even think of another child at all.
    Also, aborting per se is not emotionally upsetting for me so that isn't really an issue.
    Lastly, my husband is literally my best friend and I am unable to see a way out of this polar standpoint without hurting one of us. I do feel however, seeing how amazing a dad he is, once the child is here, he will love him/her with all he has.

Enough blabbering. Any inputs, views, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

38 and 33 is not old to have a second child.Many women who have their first kid around 28-30 will have their second kind between 33-38.

If you abort,then your chances of conceiving again will be reduced considering your age.Since your FIL has nurse's help,it shouldn't be a problem when the second kid comes into your life,as you are going to handle the baby anyway.

3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Cruelty knows no extent. Life and that too one of our own darling and 5 yr time limit is talked abt as some mathematic equation. Mom has no emotional issue with aborting but due to other strategic reasons wants the baby (hence prefers not to kill the baby). Dad is upset abt 5 yrs so does not mind throwing out baby as unwanted trash. Baby came from air or pleasurable sex created it?

I wish I hadnt broken my silence to post this, but the horror is too much to see the casual talk of abortion. Wish I had not read this thread ever.

(Some) Men and Women want orgasms but not babies, then need to be doubly careful. Yes accidents can happen, and then atleast unless there is absolutely unavoidable reason, some human consideration for an innocent baby is warranted. He or She is YOUR CHILD - despite in early stages in YOUR TUMMY which is supposed to be the SAFEST place from ills of this world.

Yes I can fully understand they love their first kid etc, but the horror is still stark

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

OP, was your pregnancy accidental or were you trying without your husband's knowledge? If it is the latter, he may feel even more betrayed. If it was an accident then it's no one's fault and you both should discuss it rationally.
    Usually the no vote wins in case of not having more children but in your case since you are already pregnant you need to think carefully. Age is not an excuse to not have a child. Many women I know have had their first child after 40. Your FIL's care can be managed with nursing help. Your husband cannot force you to have an abortion, so you will need to decide on your own. Will you be able to live with your conscience afterwards? And this is also a volatile topic for a public forum, so be prepared for a range of responses.

papoosh likes this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@papoosh, I clicked on this thread because I really like your name. :blush:

You and your DH seem like good people. It is heart-warming to see both of you caring for both sets of parents. :thumbsup:

Having a baby is a very personal choice. I hope you make a choice that both of you can be happy with. I have no wisdom to offer, just my best wishes for your family.

pinkRoseBud and papoosh like this.
  6. waiting4rmlong

waiting4rmlong Gold IL'ite

@papoosh..sorry to say.if you really don't want baby you should have careful inspite now you are asking this.many were suffering or struggling to become mother but though you blessed how can you and your husband think like that. Though it is personal matter to you ,brought this to public. Hence am opposing this decision because babies are God's gifts.

sindmani and tarasharma like this.
  7. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Thank you for voicing that out. I am just done with my second IUI and this morning when I saw this post, it struck a nerve. I am here like thinking a slightest twitch in my abdomen and could it be pregnancy symptom, but here a child is being spoken of like a logistic equation. I wish that child could have come to me, he/she would have been welcomed with so much love. But such is fate!

OP, I didnt mean to hurt you. I really didnt want to post here, but had to.

sindmani and maya9876 like this.
  8. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Hi JGVR, Malstrom and Amica, thanks for your responses. No this conception did not happen by deceit and I really wasn't trying without my husband's knowledge. Thank you also for warning me about the vitriol and poison that could come my way. It isn't something I expected, but I can probably take the bashing.
    For anyone who isn't looking at judging me right now, here's an update. My husband has stated as of last night that if I choose to go ahead with this pregnancy I cannot expect his support as a father and a husband. I am terrified to actually clarify with him if this means he is willing to walk out on me and our son. He is admittedly in a terrible place emotionally, however, since I quit work after my son, he feels like a cash cow for an ever expanding set of people and their needs. Also, I got to know yesterday that he never really visualised kids in his life at all so our first was his way of meeting me half way. This was something that has never been mentioned in our thirteen years together. That is not to say that he doesn't love our son to bits. However, he did say that this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
    I am stuck between my desire for a second child and my marriage and a father for my first. Again, any suggestions, inputs would be welcome. If you do want to only spew hate at me though, I would request you to please not.

Thanks

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Can you convince him to go to a counselor with you? If he is in such emotional turmoil he may not be thinking rationally right now. Are you financially able to afford a second child, even with all the monetary committments? He is probably lashing out a bit due to pressure. If you could both talk in presence of a neutral party it may help to make a decision you won't regret later.
    Wish you peace.

papoosh likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice to read that your husband is supporting both his parents and yours, and that you would actually prefer to adopt your second child. Noble indeed.

How did this surprise pregnancy come about? What failed? Abstinence, early withdrawal or some other form of birth control?

Oh, and: Happy Mother's Day!

tarasharma likes this.