1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hunger Strike

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sumanr, May 6, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

LO is not having solids/formula for the past 2-3 days. I amnot sure what the reason is. The minute I bring the spoon, she will close her mouth tight, purse her lips and is upset at the sight of food. I initially thought it was because she had cold that she didnt want to feed ..but now it is scaring me ...
    1. She is not eating the foods she used to love 4 days back.
    2. Is it time to add salt/sugar? I only season it with a little jeera.
    3. Should I distract her while feeding? She was ok with lying on the lap or sitting on the lap until now ..I used to give her a spoon and she used to try to feed herself while I fed her ....
    It all started on 1 day when I left for office ....she refused to take the formula from MIL, when I fed her ragi after coming back for lunch, she refused that and wanted to ONLY BF. Now, she takes only BM ...... I am very upset and on the verge of crying

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya looks like little A is going through separation anxiety.....i really dont have any tips here, i dunno if i will be sailing in the same boat soon, but maybe other working moms who have faced similar days might help here
    hugs! i can quite understand how it must feel :(

3. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Suman,
    My kids are a torture at eating and here's what I do after consulting with paedeatric and the routine changes from day to day.. She's tried her hands on them in her clinic and is in all sympathies for me.. we're trying hard to bring them upto normal weight.

For your questions:
    1. infants are v v senstive when it comes to feeding and they dont prefer a change of person who feeds however they go thru mood swings and taste bud development hence what tastes gud today is not the same in another 2-3 days.

2. Yes pls add flavour to food to check if its not as boring, you might fall from chair but yes mine ate theirs when I added salt, lemon, fresh corriander and slight red chilli powder (I myself cant eat it, but I guess its form the father's genebank).. .these additions were one by one and as early as 6 mnth .

3. I have to feed them in front of TV in high volume (MTV or animal planet), dining table (top/ under), center table (top/ under), balcony, corridor, bed, kitchen platform, wash basin platform, bathroom, bath tub, potty seat and many more wierd places... also at times I have to run behind from one room to another for a spoon.

If nothing else works, then I switch off lights wait for them to get drowsy /sleepy and then feed but that has to be done v v carefully that the child doesn't choke. Mine can choose to go without food forever and really tuff nuts.

So all the best .

Note: They're a complete CIVIL at day care and I've observed from a distance. All troubles are in store for mom.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Pooh - Thanks for the hugs, I really need them. I am still shocked at how she has changed in 2-3 days. I pray God that it is ONLY te cold. Infact, I didn't go to office today and tried feeding her .. but no luck. Will monitor for 2 more days and go to the paed on Saturday.

Shilpa - Thanks a lot for the tips and for being there. The problem is that while I may be able to try out these tricks, I am not sure how my MIL will handle when I am away. Will try a few of your tricks and come back.
    Right now, I just need your wishes :drowning

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ramya - LO is 7 months old now right? You can definitely try salt/pepper to the food - Aadhu would have it only wiht those from around 8 mnths and after a bit I had to add some rasam too to get him to eat the rice/paruppu. The other thing of course is separation anxiety; that will last for a long time so not much you can do about it right now. You could also maybe get her into a highchair and feed her - we have one with a lot of sea animals on the back of the chair and I taught A all the names of those and sang songs/told stories etc. during these food strikes - that used to help. I am personally completely against using the TV or other distractors and also against feeding the child anywhere but in the designated place so I would not advcie any of those. Finally these food strikes happen to all kids and dont last more than a few days at that age (after the first bday is a different story) so chill and she will be ok soon :)

V.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i second vanathi here, zoey knows that its mummum time wen i put her in her highchair.infact i never fed her in lap.earlier it was her rocker ,after coming here we got a highchair. also these days i make sure the maid or my husband give her lunch,so that she gets used to the idea of momma nor around her for the same. dinner i make sure i give.
    for some reason for food mine is a no fuss baby, prolly takes after me, her mom is a super foodie :)
    but i have to make sure i add cowsmilk in minimal quantity for her to even have khichdi.never tried salt though.
    but try watever works for u.
    from 6.5 month onwards food came flying back on my face if i were to repeat it. and hence i have this elaborate menu for her,so that i dont repeat her lunch .i know all this cld be a tad too much of a work for ur MIL,but maybe u can keep a helper for her....some sorta domestic help.

try getting her sitting up in a colorful highchair or something.....see if that helps :)

7. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Ramya,

Hugs...I am following you..Have to go back to work by mid of June and now i have asked MIL to give him lunch, feed, but this guy is refusing it clearly, but if i feed him, he is happily taking it....i have asked MIL to follow the same formula as mine and now it is working. We keep him in his rocker and hang more toys in the toy bar and talk talk talk and feed him and he is eating it properly now...but another concern here is, even after finishing his food, he expects me to BF him for few mins, i dont know how i am going to manage this part.
    All the best, dont worry lil A will be fine soon...:thumbsup

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

padmini,not to worry, a couple of times of late i have left zoey and went out,just to see how she fairs.she knows i am not around and doesnt demand this top up milk.just quenches her thirst with water after food.lil ones are smarties, i had mentioned this in one post here, they can "smell" momma around.no kidding!

9. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Ramya, did you just head back to work? It could be the separation anxiety or it could be the cold as well. My older one used to stop eating for a few days after a cold. It looks like the congestion kills the appetite. I would say just keep offering and make sure she is having liquids (BM or formula). You can try the seasoning or different variety finger foods that she might find interesting.

10. lucky7

lucky7 New IL'ite

Hey dont worry Ramya, my dd is 7 months old too and she did the same when she was 6 months old refused to eat solids for 2 days and just wanted to BF.She didnt have cold or separation anxiety ...no reason....after 2 days she was back to her normal self.
    I changed from Gerber rice cereal to oats thinking that maybe she got bored with the rice taste