1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Humour? Be cautious!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am 100% with you on this pantu. It is a great pity that some people do not understand this basic principle. There is no greater example of oxymoron than a painful joke!
    Sri

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Now a days there is so much stress in everyone's life that we need some entertainment to overcome our stress. For that laughter is the best mediicne. But humour should be such that it does not hurt anyone.

Laughter relaxes ourmind and the body and relieves from worries, tensions etc . It is a totally a boon for all of us. It provides a physical and emotional release. . Everyone must smile and laugh as it is very useful... The person having good sense of humor is liked by everyone.

Just sometime back I listened to the song Twinkle , twinkle little star sung by a lady in different ragas and had a hearty laugh. Some people enjoy humour at the cost of others which is not good.

I know a friend's husband who entertains everyone with his humour but at home he is very short tempered and shouting at his wife sometimes for silly things. He wants her to attend to him always. Being with him anyone will feel his family must be lucky to have humerous person like him. But he is not the same always though he jokes with his wife also. His wife has understood him very well so they enjoy life

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    You will be surprised to know that there are any number of people who use their humour to hurt others and this habit of theirs is presumably due to their desperation to gain supremacy over the victims. You may recall the cruel games of Roman Emperors who used to feed people accused of treason and such make-believe reasons to hungry lions in front of some 50000 people in their Colosseum. As the hungry lions tore the innocent victims and ate them, the spectators roared with laughter. Such was their sense of humour!

Whenever I talk to you over phone, I like the way you laugh heartily and this openness is your asset. The couple that you have mentioned can be found everywhere. Their anger at home probably helps them to recharge their sense of humour!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the like and sweet message about me my dear Anna which made my dayAs I have told you earlier getting a like from you is like getting an award from you:)

5. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Nice narrative about humour !:thumbsup

6. Cheeniya

Thanks a lot darmesh! I am glad you liked my Rambling on humour.
    Sri

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    I wonder if I have any sense of humour.
    If sense of humour in a person makes himself laugh at his own follies then it is really great. At times humour makes hard time lighter if it doesn't hurt anybody's feelings. There are people who make sarcastic remarks as if they want to be humorous which obviously meant to hurt.

Akbar had Birbal in his court and Krishnadevaraya had Thenalirama who were court jesters. Wit and wisdom goes hand in hand.

You are a perfect example for it. Also there are many ILites in this category who make us smile and laugh and makes our day bright.

PS

1 person likes this.
  8. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

We see humour in a person slipping over a banana peel and we start laughing.
    tell me Cheeniya Sir ..
    Have you ever seen anybody in real life slipping on one???.. the other night when when my son and I were walking Harley we saw a man slip and fall.. maybe not on a banana peel.. but fall none the less.. poor chap was so embarrassed and physically hurt . he couldn't get up and had to be helped to stand. nothing even remotely funny about the situation in real life.. I wonder why this is the most common comedy hit scene in reel life??
    I love witty people and try attempts to subtle humour myself.. and yes I do agree that the most laughed at jokes are often those which put other in derogatory light .. very unfortunate. Infact most of the comedy shows and stand up comedians have this in their agendas.. have you seen comedy nights with kapil?? its one classic example of what I'm saying
    YES Its me again!!!..
    kerman

3 people like this.
  9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I am sure you do NOT remember this but I had requested you long back to write on this topic. Somehow, though the topic is very dear to me, I knew only you would do justice to it. Needless to say I guffawed on reading about your visit to the so called humorous doc.:)
    I totally agree with you. I am sure no one can stand sarcastic humour or jokes that are intended to hurt and the accompanying laugh to show that it was a joke makes me go Grrrr..
    But classy language in humour, jokes with a straight face, self deprecating humour can make a person so endearing.:)
    Looking at it from another angle ie from the joke-cracking person’s point of view I must say that some people are too sensitive also. They do look for hidden intentions, while the poor person may have cracked a joke in all innocence. In short it is very important to know your audience while speaking, humour or otherwise,isn't it?

3 people like this.
  10. Cheeniya

Dear PS
    Awfully sorry for the 48-hour delay in responding to your FB!
    The best way to test if we have sense of humour is to stand in front of the mirror and smile tentatively. If what we see in the mirror makes us smile more, it will grow into a broad grin. Eventually we'll start laughing when we see how comical our face looks when we grin. Then you know you have a great sense of humour. If on the contrary your smile makes you irritated, it will become a disgusted frown. This means that sense of humour is not your cup of tea!

The greatest fan of my humour used to be my dear mum. How I would love the way her face got distorted when she laughed uncontrollably at my jokes! Thank you for that warm compliment of yours. I feel encouraged to ramble more and more!
    Sri

1 person likes this.