1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Human Oddities

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vatsan, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Vatsan,

Welcome to IL.

I like the way you write about serious issues in a satirical way. What you wrote made me laugh at our way of living.

2. vatsan

vatsan New IL'ite

Hello Meeta,
    I only write what I observe.
    In my own small way, I try not to follow the herd mentality.Beyond that I do nothing.
    I appreciate your pragmatism.

Dear Anandchitra,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will surely post more such threads.

Dear Aqua,
    Many thanks foryour kind words.

Dear Nivedi,
    People feel monotonous when you write seriously even about serious things.
    So, even when I write on serious issues, I ensure there is an undercurrent
    of humour.

Regards to all

VATSAN

3. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Vatsan,

How true... Great write up... We dont mind, being alone in India... We dont mind our kids struggling in US/UK on their own... We dont mind shuttling between... but we want our kids to be there... Because it is a status symbol... and the society also acknowledges only them.... hahahahahahaha....

Also, the kids who go to US/UK want their kids to grow with Indian culture and background... they dont want their kids to be part of American culture... hahahaha... What a double standards...

With Dead body around and watching TV.... No comments... Sometimes it hurts to talk about...

Veda

4. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Dear Vatsan

Excellent write up. As kamalji has stated u have hit the nail on the head!

Having fully realised the fallacy in our behaviour are we really taking any steps to correct them. Even if we do correct them , can we really be satisfied with our lifestyle. A Big question indeed and one for which we cannot readily find an answer.
    The book " The Eternal Quest" by Sri Pramahamsa Yogananda speaks about what this Eternal Quest means and also what exactly are we looking for in this life form of ours.

Warm Regds
    Jay

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vatsan,

Welcome to Indusladies, its writers' circuit and to the FP of the Month forums...:clap

You have made your entry with a bang no doubt! You being only three posts old or 300 posts old does not matter here. What matters is the matter in the post!! As such, you have bowled us over.

Like you, I too am guilty of falling into this herd mentality often. I try to fight it, but then, sometimes I think...if you can't beat them, join them! Sad state of affairs. Let's hope such conscience jerkers like your post will slowly but steadily work their way through.

L, Kamla

6. vatsan

vatsan New IL'ite

Dear Veda,
    I agree with all that you have said.
    Why refrain from commenting on the dead body?
    It is probably a robust attitude
    to accept death as a fact of life and carry on.

Dear Jay,
    Life is riddled with many questions and for most of which
    there are no definitive answers.
    I have not read " The Eternal Quest" but my thinking is:
    Man is a trinity of animalism, humanity and divinity.
    We have to overcome the animalism, practice humanity
    and attain divinity.

Dear Kamla,
    I wish I deserved all the praise you have heaped on me.
    Perhaps it is safer to tread the path of least resistance.
    If you act sane when surrounded by a lot of mad people,
    then you will appear mad and all others sane.

Regards to all,

VATSAN

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Vatsan,

That is because.... It has a personal would... It is too raw, after so many years... to talk about.... Sorry... Thanks

Veda

8. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Here on reading this thought provoking message, I am reminded of a story which I would like to share with everyone.

A vain Emperor,likes to try new outfits and spends his time subjecting his courtiers to admire his clothes. His tailor fans his indulgence and suggests him new clothes to try on. The tailor makes more money and more outlandish clothes for the king. The foolish king wastes his wealth in making ill fitting clothes for himself.The more his tailor praises him the more he gets carried away and makes more clothes. All the courtesans praise the king when his displays his clothes in order to please the king.
    One day the tailor tricks the foolish king, and shows him a bag with no clothes and pretends " My Lord, this is the best I have ever stitched for you,see the sequences,feel the fabric,what magnificient colours, it will make you look so charmng and you will feel like never before".......

The king falls for the tailor's words of praise and decides to try it.The foolish king looks at the mirror and is shocked to find himself naked,but his ego doesn't allow him to accept the fact and decides to continue admiring the non-existant clothes.

The mean tailor cajoles him into parading into the court room to display his new clothes. The king continues to do as advised by his loyal servant.

As he enters,all his loyal courtiers burst into giggles,but no one dares to contradict their emperor. So all keep praising and nodding to the tailor's description of the clothes.

Just, then a little boy ,standing at one end of the court room,is unable to bear the King's plight and shouts, "My lord,there are fooling you,you don't have any clothes on".

Such is the reality,it stares at our face but we ignore it.

At least someone must be like the little boy in the story.
    We must try not to be like the Emperor and be wary of people like the tailor.

But,as someone rightly put it? who will bell the cat?

9. vatsan

vatsan New IL'ite

Dear Meera,

That was a nice story.

Most people want to lead lives the way society wants them to.

Vatsan

10. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr.Vatsan,

Awesome write!! I throughly enjoyed it. Very meaningful post!!

Please do keep writing..

I guess world revolves only by status.. man stamping over the other with these status.. Thats how your survive. I guess it actually not in some multinational level.. but its everywhere...

How many treat their apt security, maid, bus conductor, drivers, septic cleaner equally. How many respect their jobs and accept them as you do a manager or a CEO?

I guess we need to ask these questions ourselves and start working on us first.. We should make a difference first...