1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hullabulloo Over Jallikattu

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ILUser98

ILUser98 New IL'ite

If love for animals is the only reason why would a foreign organization spend so much money on bringing ban on this sport so easily? Its not all cruelty as it is depicted. Then why Spain bull fight can't be banned, or China dog festival to name a few.. or any tradition in all over world Which involves animals. Why so much compulsion on this? Some saying it will not affect the native breeds even if it's banned. I would like to ask them do they know how much effort it 'll take to raise a bull? There is a breeding science behind this. Please do your research on what is a1,a2 milk. They said country grown chicken are not good and brought broilers. Now all know it's full of injections and how much it affects overall health. Average puberty age became alarmingly less on female childs due to all this so called "promoted foods" avoiding our traditional foods. There are so many examples like this. We are tricked in to believing old traditions are bullshits and we should mature. I agree , not all old things we follow but at least we should think why peta is stressing so much on banning this tradition alone?

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

It is not just PETA but even Indian activists not linked to it are demanding that the ban should not be lifted.. The fat is there is a possibility of the bulls being treated cruelly just to enrage them for the event. As for tradition, the way Jallikattu has been organised after it became touristy is not the traditional jallikattu. Now mercenary reasons are overriding the respect in which bulls were held earlier. All traditions are not ******** but traditions must be accepted or rejected discerningly.

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

My feelings exactly . It is not clear how the two are linked.

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

If only Peta is involved we can raise questions like that but Indian animal lovers too are up in arms. and Jallikattu is no more the heroic, extreme sport that it once was. It has degenerated into a money spinning business and respect for the bulls and the traditional rules about treating them have given way to turn the bulls into part of a quasi-gladiatorial spectacle for paying tourists. So the protests are quite justified. If Jallikattu could be held unde r controlled conditions in which the bulls are not mistreated, I am all for it.In fact over years of ban, the Supreme Court could have laid down the conditions and rujls for the sport so that animals are properly supervised and only fit ones enter the arena afte a thorough examination that they have not been tortured.

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

GG you are behaving like my wife. When she ticks me off for my lack of dress sense, I tell her that I don't care much for dressing up. Then she would qujip "Then you should go naked".

GoogleGlass likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Despite the lack of integrity of media and foreign organisations, can we 100% ensure that the bulls are not tortured. Let me tell you, the practice in TN is to sell crippled bulls to Kerala butchers as cattle slaughter is permitted there.

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I don't have much knowledge on this sport. All I have to say after reading bits and pieces of this JK from media is, if you wanna ban this sport because of the animal cruelty, then ban all the non-veg eating habit in India. Let's make India a veg country. Because, animals are cruelly killed/slaughtered for the meat.
    If you wish, you may download animal slaughtering videos for more info.

If you wanna ban this sport for the potential harm that humans may face, then consider banning boxing and other extreme sports. Because number of people have been killed while playing such games in the past, yet no one banned them.

If your idea is to ban a sport, which is more than a sport but a cultural identity, then be open about it. Ban this one and many other ones using your power, so that eventually a culture will be erased from the history.

But if the ban is for genuine reasons, then consider putting up some strict rules, like how to approach the animal, how to ensure the animal is not cruelly handled, the quality of the animal, how many people could confront the animal at one go, etc..etc
    You can apply strict rules like Police presence, qualified referees, CCTV, etc to ensure these rules are followed.
    You can even consider safety methods for the humans who are involved in this sport. Their qualifications, experience, safety dressing, helmet if necessary etc...
    Get the consent of the person, and make it as a strict rule that no children should play this.

Supreme court can impose these rules instead of banning a sport.

If the judgement is biased, there will be no respect on the judges, so is on the supreme court decision.

JK can be practiced as long as it is harmless. If it is harmful and certain strict rules can never be practiced, then it is better to leave this culture behind just like other old/bad cultures.

8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

hum...very enlightening thread!

Every year during pongal, in our village, a local level jallikattu used to happen. Most of the elders and women and children used to occupy the balcony and the terrace to watch the sport while the daring young guys used to stay near the road to tackle the bulls.

What made our village show a super hit was not the bulls running but a man who used to bring his goat without fail to this sport. this goat was our superstar and got all the limelight!!

it used to be more like hop-a-little, jump-a-little...run-a-little, skip-a-little thing for this goat.

Whenever this goat used to come, all the kids used to go onto the road and try and catch it, hug it, kiss it, play with it! what not!

Whenever someone mentions Jalli kattu, all I can think of this goat!

akbanupriya, Amica and Rajeni like this.
  9. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

That's so cute! You had the chance to witness something which we are yearning to see now!

beautifullife30 likes this.
  10. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Balajee, have you really researched on this?

I come from a family of farmers.. We had 20-30 young bulls that did nothing but graze, come home and sleep in their sheds. After a certain age, they are taken to 'sandhai' and people bought them for use in the field, cart or whatever.. But never for meat or leather..
    Now,if a cow gives birth to a male calf, after two weeks, it is sold for beef.. Cow gives milk, it is inseminated by injections, tractors are used for ploughing, tata ace transports the coconuts/yield and why do the farmer needs a bull?
    Do you know how much a farmer sells his milk for? 12-15₹ per liter.. Do you know the economics behind feeding 'one'cow? Any idea how much milk a cow gives? For how long? So, do you get the argument behind the 'conspiracy' theories?

I know, people like you will say, then why farm? Yes, we stopped.. But now, I think what will happen to my daughter, is she going to be an expatriate all her life? Why must she drink the hormone injected milk/eat fertilised fruits/vegetables? When she has the perfect right to all things we enjoyed?

My reply to your original post is, it should be conducted, it should be regulated and monitored.. Otherwise, there wont be bulls.. Trust me.. How many bulls/old cows/buffaloes have been rescued by PETA or other organisations and taken care of in the shelters? Ultimately it is the people accused of being unethical, take care of them..