Hubby in the kitchen ?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Kurunji, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My husband knows nothing about cooking. He will enter the kitchen only to taste any item, :tongue esp. only if non. veg. or sweets. But nowadays with a job and a growing kid, am finding it cumbersome to do everything myself -- so want to make him also do small things, and involve in cooking daily.
    Though he agrees to help and is interested also ; I don't know how to start ??
    What dishes to teach him first , :confused2: which will be useful at the same time, less time consuming -- so that he doesn't walk out after the first day.
    Please share your views / experiences etc.
    Regards,
    Kurunji.

2. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

hi Kurunji,
    Why dont you start by asking him to assist you in the kitchen - like cutting vegetables, keeping rice, dal, rasam?
    This way you get to spend some time with him too.

Maybe the other senior ladies will give you better suggestions.
    After 5 years of marriage my husband can make curd , veggie curry, coffee, tea!

Gayathri

3. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    U can tell him some simple things in first days
    >like chopping vegs, using microwave for cooking(ex:put veg ,.in microwave for 5 mins)

>putting rice cooker, dal cooker, preparing tamarind pulp in mocrowave for sambar,
    kneading chapathi flour for rotis,poori
    first u knead it till suffiecient consistency & then give it to him for perfect kneading
    >removing trash cover & put new
    >arranging all groceries in fridge
    >rinsing the dishes & loading dishwasher
    Items: seasoning dal & some fries & simple curries
    making kheer,
    idlies
    rava idli with MTR pack

these all i saw while husbands helping my frnds

My Husband cooks also & he helps me in the kitchen on weekends
    He likes to do that

Note:Always ..always never give negative comment for their helps.
    They get irritated with this negative comments
    iN the initial days they can't do it in better way as we do.
    It may take soeme time to follow ur way of doing in household works

4. sherryindera

sherryindera New IL'ite

Re: Hubby in the kitchen ? Isnt that sweet!

Ladies My name is Indera, I now live in Canada, Toronto.
    I just wanted to tell u a funny story. When we lived in New york, my mom went into the hospital to have her 5th child, my younger brother Vishnu. Daddy was so happy of course, but he had to come home the night of the birth to take care of us. (during the day the neighbor was with us as Daddy was in the hospital) so daddy told our neighbor she could go home as he was home. So daddy had to make us dinner, he made Chicken Curry with Dal and rice.....He never cooked, as he was the youngest in his family of 13 children (back in the days) He had watched Mommy prepare the food many times...So he asked us where was the curry, where was the Masala, etc etc....he put everything in one bowl and started to cook....to add the finishing touches, he added almost a half a bottle of KETCHUP TO THE CURRY!
    We of course didnt dare say anything, but daddy was so proud....He didnt know how long to cook the dahl either....we sat and ate quietly the......................................................delectable dish....and of course ate all of it......We told mommy when she came home, and while daddy was home, we all had a nice chuckle................................................
    ..so if your hubby is in the kitchen, count your blessings...he really is doing what he thinks is right! God Bless him! Cheers Ladies!

5. piu

piu New IL'ite

hello Kurunji,
    Tell him to make coffee or tea for both of you.:)
    I think he can do it easily as my papa.he don't know anything to cook but prepare wonderfull tea or coffee himself and sometimes he serve it to guests helping my mom.:2thumbsup: may be he will help you soon to entertain guest.

then tell him to ready breakfast.gradually he will improve.:-D

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hello Kurinji,

A nice thought. It is always better for any women to get extra help as we have started being in nuclear family. Ask him to help you in cutting the vegetables, and with a guidance from you simple recipies of vegetables and soups. Infact you could get lots of such from Ms. Chitvish's threads.

ALL THE BEST and post the results too.

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

The best is to start with tea and coffee.Then ask him to do ready-made foods like the ones you get in the packets-noodles,upma mix etc.Then slowly ask him to prepare rice. One day I kept giving instructions and my husband prepared rice,rasam and aloo curry.Till this day,he can do only those confidently!!:mrgreen: But he helps a lot with other stuff like keeping the house clean,clearing garbage,even cleaning the bathrooms,so I don't pester him too much with the kitchen:wink:

8. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Thanks a lot friends, for all your responses.
    Yes, cutting veggies seems a good idea to start . Also making sandwiches, frozen paratha etc.
    I will give him some beans [most difficult /irritating ] :wink: today to chop -- then he will know how much we do for them.
    Even top chefs start with peeling & chopping onions , hee he.....

9. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

Brilliant suggestions from everybody! I agree, he can help you out at first and by watching you he will pick up the art of cooking.
    My husband never cooked, but now he loves cooking and his biryanis, fish curries, etc., are famous among our friends.
    Give him a lot of encouragement and praise!
    All the best! :)

10. ish333

ish333 Senior IL'ite

i would suggest you to start with making dosas,frying puris, chapptis,making tea,sandwich,toast.